First UC and think I might be in early labor. Need some advice.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, this is my very first UC/UP and also my first full term pregnancy. I am 39 weeks 1 day and have been having what I can only describe as stomach pains (kind of a pressure, stabbing sensation that builds and releases) accompanied by low backache that radiates into my hips (kind of like menstrual cramps), for the last six hours or so. It is nighttime so I've tried to sleep as much as I could but sometimes the pain will wake me up and I HAVE to get out of bed because lying still hurt too bad. They only seem to last about a minute a minute or so and from what I can tell (I"ve been sleeping off and on throughout the night) they've been coming around every 15-20 minutes). Sometimes I would just describe them as uncomfortable and sometimes they are intense enough I have to move through them because I can't handle the pain sitting/lying down. I've been having rounds of painful but irregular Braxton Hicks since I was 35 weeks and from what I can tell from a self exam I am about 3-4 cm dilated, I can't really tell how much effaced but I have noticed that my cervix is quite a bit thinner than it was several weeks ago. Is it possible I am in early labor? I didn't want to call and wake up my support persons in the middle of the night unless this is the real thing but I'm having trouble believing it is since some of the waves are much less intense than some of the Braxton Hicks that I have had over the last weeks (and then some are more intense). I'm just really afraid of being one of those first time moms that jumps the gun on things so I thought I would ask someone with experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 08:08 AM

If it feels more like menstrual cramps and the pain wakes you..and they are regular and not going away when you drink water or walk around...probably the real deal! See if they are getting closer together. Good luck! 

Old 03-18-2012, 03:03 PM

It sounds like early labor to me but it could go on like this for days really. I think you will know when it's time to call your friends. I called my husband to come home when my contractions were very intense and 4-5 mins apart.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:21 PM

I'd also wait until your contractions are at least closer together (I've learned that intensity doesn't mean much sometimes).

Also, don't be like me and wait too long.  I had no prelabor contractions, then my water broke, and not long after that I was in laborland and didn't want to talk to anyone, so I ended up inviting no one over.  Which was fine and lovely, but I wish I would have had someone there to take pictures and write down times or something.

Tags
Homebirth , Unassisted Childbirth
User Tag List