Braxton hicks at 4.5 months? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-29-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey mamas, I'm having very mild braxton hicks contractions off on and the last several days. This is my fourth pregnancy, and I noticed with each one they come earlier. Has anyone else had this at 4.5 months before? It feels so weird to have your uterus be so small still but that funny tightening feeling. I find it usually happens when I have to pee really badly and then sit down to go. It's like trying to release my bladder stimulates the tightening.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#2 of 18 Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I had braxton hicks that early with my first pregnancy.  Wasn't a problem at all, ds came on his own, smack on his due date.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#3 of 18 Old 03-29-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mama. Just wondering how many other ppl get them this early. 

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#4 of 18 Old 03-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Sounds like you know what's up (mother of three more babies than me ;) ), but perhaps a visit to the doctor or a call to a medical helpline would be prudent to rule out anything else?

#5 of 18 Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 PM

Oh haha. Didn't realize this was in the UCB thread. Probably not what you were looking to hear. Whoopsie. Carry on.

#6 of 18 Old 03-29-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

LOL yeah it's a UC thread but if I were actually concerned I'd call a midwife/doctor for sure. I'm not concerned because it's just like my normal BHs. Nothing painful, crampy, etc... I just wanted to know I wasn't crazy in feeling them so early ;)

#7 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 11:22 AM

I too have been having BH since the end of my first trimester. I think that it is just normal for some women to have them and/or notice them more than others. I am currently 25 wks and still get several every day. I am very active, but they are not always related to my activity sometimes I get them when I am lying down and like you it often happens when I really have to pee. Trust your intuition, if you feel fine then go with it, if you want to get checked out, then do that.

#8 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Oh and this is my second preg. I got them w/ my first probably by 2nd tri, but didn't know what they were until mw pointed it out...

#9 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 11:32 AM

It is perfectly normal to start feeling Braxton Hicks this early on , especially when it´s not your first pregnancy . 

And I am saying " feeling " , since you start having them at about 12 weeks have , it´s just that first - time mothers don´t really feel them yet ( most of them , anyway ) .

And it does get more intense with every pregnancy , I just had my 6th baby and the way they felt this time , was a lot stronger ( and earlier ) than the times before . 

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#10 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 12:13 PM

I'm having them too, at 24 wks, and I probably started noticing them around 20wks. This is my 3rd child, but my second (3y ago) was like a first, as dd was 8 then. I don't think I noticed them this early with him. But this is also my first UP/UC so I think I'm also paying a lot more attn to my body than the previous times. smile.gif
#11 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM

I'm currently 30 weeks with my first baby. I noticed BH at the end of the first trimester, especially after orgasm. Go figure. I noticed them spontaneously starting at 14 weeks. I also get them frequently with peeing, and also if I'm dehydrated or have been working too hard.

#12 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Pls don't misunderstand--this isn't something I'm at all worried about. Just wondering how many others notice it this early on.  I think I had this early in my third pregnancy too if I'm not mistaken.

#13 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Yes, at orgasm - every time. And as I build up to it I can already feel it hardening, which can be distracting... :P And leaning over for anything longer than a quick pick-up can start them too.
#14 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 PM

I get the build-up hardening too! Also distracting is baby being active while you're building up to it. I find it interesting that the strongest, longest lasting BH are linked to orgasm. Even just feeling arousal can cause them too. Just gentler ones.

TzippityDoulah likes this.
#15 of 18 Old 03-31-2012, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I have never had BH that early, but I did have pains from stretching of muscles. Sometimes it was actually decently painful. It was in my lower belly though.

#16 of 18 Old 03-31-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I get the pulling muscle feeling too every now and again. Mostly when I'm stretching to one side or to reach something, and sometimes when I sit up from laying down. 

#17 of 18 Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 PM

I actually can feel contractions as early as 10 weeks for both of my pregnancies. :)

#18 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 08:02 PM

We are probably due around the same time and I've been feeling them too. I don't remember them this early last time, but that was my first, so I probably just didn't recognize them.

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page