Questions about what to do with cord - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'm pregnant with my first baby, and am planning to UC. I have a couple of maybe silly questions that I was hoping some veteran UC mamas could help me with.

First one has to do with cleaning up baby after she's born. As in washing off any vertex, blood, ect...would you want to do that before cutting the cord? Does it matter? I know that you're supposed to keep the cord stump as dry as possible, and just sponge bath your baby until it falls off, but what about her first bath? Do I not worry about the cord stump? Should I not cut the cord until after she's cleaned off? And how did you clean your baby? I'm thinking of taking a bath together with her, and washing both of us off then.

The other question is for cutting the cord. If the cord is white and limp, do you need to tie it off? Or is that unnecessary at that point?

Cutting the cord will fall to me...DH is squeamish about the idea. He has no problem with catching our baby, but the idea of cutting the cord is scary...funny guy. :)

Thanks for reading, and any advice or recommendations you may have for me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Message Deleted
Old 03-31-2012, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

yes definitely tie off the cord.....I tied the cord with braided embroidery thread (in two places and cut between). The embroidery thread wasn't tight enough either UC (even though I got it as tight as I could) to keep the cord from seeping and bleeding a little, so after a few hrs-a day, I would end up putting a rubber band on the stump.  Or you can buy proper cord cutting kits....but I have never done that or been a fan of it.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:25 PM

Remember too, that you don't need to wash off the vernix, you can rub it in. Blood, sure - if doing a waterbirth though, that'll be accomplished for you already! smile.gif
Old 04-01-2012, 05:40 PM

My DD was born late at night, after she was born, MIL and several helpers showed up... it wasn't planned but it was good. They didn't give her a full bath at the time, just sorta sponge bath, had more thorough bath the day after. We waited about 2 hours? to cut cord, sterilized scissors to cut it and did use braided embroidery thread to tie it off (just did the baby end, not 2 places). One thing that was kinda annoying is we cut it a bit too long, it wasn't a problem, but was a bit difficult the following days until it fell off. 

Haha, I am just remembering... I think they cleaned her up before cord was cut. One helper had the baby and another was following her around with the placenta in a bowl. Probably a third did the washing. I think I took a shower then.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:16 PM

In hospitals they towel them off immediately...then bath them shortly after....not sure how...as I have never seen that part of the process.

Since I water birth, being in the pool helps clean them a bit. I have a towel handy to help wipe some of the yuck off...but honestly my kids haven't been too nasty after words. If I remember correctly, I normally take a shower after the after birth and give baby a wash up while I am showering. I typically just wipe them up with wipes for the next few days.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:02 PM

Honestly, I'm not that big on bathing newborns. I just don't see how they are that dirty. They haven't even touched the ground or much of anything for that matter, lol. So when they are born, I don't rub them down or anything, just cuddle in a soft blanket. The vernix is reabsorbed by the skin, I don't remember if there were little blood spots with my son we spot cleaned off. Anyway, then we cut the cord a few hours later, then get them dressed. 

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

What length would you recommend tying off the cord to?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Message Deleted
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM

my biggest reason for cleaning is when water birthing...all of what comes out is collected in the pool (even if strained out...still bits will remain)..........even "bathroom goodies" so I like to make sure my child is not covered in a harmful bacteria from poo. whistling.gif

Old 04-05-2012, 11:03 PM

Honestly, there really is no right way to do things.

We clamped and cut the cords of our twins shortly after the placenta was born (cords were limp and white).  We did not wipe them off or bathe them at all, and this is what they looked like maybe an hour after birth?  (You can see where my DH clamped the cords too, we weren't really worried at what length they were clamped at I guess.)

birth.jpg

birth2.jpg

We gave them a bath (just water, sat with them in the bathtub and submersed them) when they were two days old, the first twin's stump fell off at 3 days and the second twin's at 4 days.

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth
User Tag List