How do I get a birth certificate for my child with UC? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question is the title. Does anyone know where to get forms for birth certificate/social security numbers? And do I need a doctor-certified proof of pregnancy to get the birth certificate? I live in CO, btw.

Thanks!

#2 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM

Message Deleted
#3 of 10 Old 04-05-2012, 07:46 AM

Thanks for starting this thread! I have the same question (NY state). I am still undecided about UC,a homebirth (which is seems unlikely) or a carefully managed trip to the hospital. In the event that things naturally unfold and we experience an unassisted homebirth, are there time constraints? Is there a way to prepare the documents for a just in case scenario?

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#4 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 04:23 PM

Message Deleted
#5 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 04:30 PM

I know I am not in your state- but I submitted a letter from my dr (who I went to at about 28 weeks just to have a confirm pregnancy so he would write the letter and then again a week or so after the baby was born), a notarized statement from me on why we chose a home birth with no dr (which I was very snarky in), and a statement from my DH saying that he witnessed a the live birth of our son.  In Iowa this all has to be submitted within a month of the birth- and to complicate things- you can't even request the packet until after you give birth- so there is no preparation really.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#6 of 10 Old 04-07-2012, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

at least in my state.....you have to have the ss card before you can get the birth cert.
Just contact your appropriate state govt office and have them send you the form and you fill it out....we have to get ours notorirzed but don't need any drs proof or anything. Then send it back in. A long time later, they send an ss card. Once you have the ss card you can go to your local health dept (of the county the child was born in) and have them print a birth cert with a raised seal. And of course pay them for it. I think ours was about 10-15 dollars.
Don't know if that is how your state works...but that is how mine does.

You can just do google search to find out how it works in your state.

#7 of 10 Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

So for my state (CO), you need proof of pregnancy, proof of live birth, and proof of residency. You send those in with two forms that you fill out, and it takes 2-3 weeks afterwards to get the Birth certificate. Not sure about SSN yet. CO is very county-based, so you submit this stuff to the county office, not state. 

#8 of 10 Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 PM

I would think once you get the BC (over on Blue Spruce behind Albertson's) you could then go to the SS office. I think they do pregnancy tests over there too, at least they used to. You could use that as proofnof pregnancy.
#9 of 10 Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 AM

There is actually a very extensive thread on this subject, I dont remember what its titled but several women posted what they had to do, last time I looked at it, there was no information for New Jersey, anyone know about Jersey?  Im working on it still....  Almost every other state is covered though...

#10 of 10 Old 07-17-2012, 11:29 AM

We had a problem with my UP, they wanted some proof of her existing, like a daycare registration or something, lol.  But in the end we took what we had and said, "hey, we don't have any other proof".  They glared at us, but ultimately gave in.  The truth being, they want to have records of us.

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page