Questions about Unassisted Birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!   I haven't made a final decision for sure if I will be having an unassisted birth but I am very heavily considering it.   This is my second pregnancy,  my first child was born in the hospital after a natural drug free labor.   

I have a copy of Emergency Childbirth. I think I could be much more comfortable with UC if I could find an easy to understand guide to the basics that was very straight forward. The labor itself doesn't intimidate me, it's everything after that which I am fussing over in my head.   I've already got all the trust your body and birth stuff down, what I'm looking for is for concrete stuff like examples of what is needed in a birth kit and how to use everything. 

Since I haven't found anything like what I'm looking for I am getting the idea there isn't anything like it so I suppose the next step is for me to come here and ask the questions I have. 

What is needed in birth kit and what are all those things for?   How do you sterilize the equipment like scissors?  (I'm looking at birth supplies and feeling overwhelmed by all the things there are, is there anywhere that goes over describing the uses of supplies that I can actually read and review?)

The mess, how do you keep it contained and how do you clean it up afterward?  With my first my fluids were leaking everywhere the entire hospital and it was meconium stained, how do you deal with that at home?  Assuming I decide not to keep my placenta for whatever reason, how do I dispose of it?

If I were to have a birth pool what is the process for that?  It is easy to clean and set up?  (I can't imagine my SO being willing to even help with cleaning that.  He isn't good with body fluids and was rather disgusted with that aspect of the birth of our first)

I think there's more but that's all I can think of thus far regarding birth.

The other question is about SS card and birth certificate in California.   How does that work after an unassisted birth?  Particularly if my fiance and I are the only ones at the birth.   I have had OB/midwife care throughout my pregnancy so proof of pregnancy wouldn't be a problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 PM

I really like this site as an almost "how to" on unassisted childbirth:

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/childbirth.html

There is a sample birth kit on there.

My birth "kit" this time contains:

- "Variations of normal" sheets printed from the site above

- Birth pool, to labor in

- Pump, to inflate pool

- Siphon hose, to fill and empty pool

- Waterproof table cloth, to spread around the area I plan to birth in

- Waterproof mattress sheet, if needed on the bed

- Depends underpads, to birth on and also sit on postpartum

- Cheap towels, if I want them or end up having a waterbirth

- Receiving blankets, to put over baby right after birth

- Wide, shallow bowl for catching the placenta

- Placenta Out, for retained placenta/bleeding

- Cord clamps

- Sharp (new) scissors, for cutting cord

- My tablet, to videotape

- Notebook and pen, to write down times and anything of interest

- Overnight maxi pads, for postpartum bleeding

- Baby outfit + cloth diapers and hats

- Scale and tape measure for getting baby's numbers

This is tailored to my needs and what I think I might want.  You can do the same for your birth kit.  You can have everything, or nothing!  You really don't have to worry about it.  It's nice to be prepared, but it is unlikely that you will need anything immediately, and most things are just for easier cleanup, convenience, and comfort.  Also, you will quite easily figure out how to clamp/tie and cut a cord without ever having to do it before.  It's pretty straightforward. :)

Oh, your question about sterilizing a scissors.  Last time we just boiled some, you can also sterilize with alcohol.

You have probably gathered from my list, but I use the table cloth to help keep the mess contained, and though I birthed on towels last time and it was no big deal (they had very minimal stains, if any), it is a good idea to labor/birth on underpads (Chux pads/puppy pads), that way you can just throw them away.  If you birth on towels, just make sure to throw them in the wash right away, or at least soak them until you can wash them.

You can birth your placenta into/onto whatever you want.  Some will do it in the toilet or bathtub, a bowl, or just on an underpad.  If you want to keep your placenta, I recommend birthing it into a bowl.  Otherwise you can bury it or just tie it up in some trash bags and throw it away.  I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with mine, so I birthed it into a bowl and had my friend clean it up for me and throw it in the garage to freeze (it was winter).  Come spring, I just ended up throwing it away.

Birth pool set up is pretty self explanatory.  You can get an electric pump or a hand pump to inflate it, and then I use a fish tank siphon (one that hooks up to the sink) to fill and empty it.  You might want to have a large pot on hand so you can boil water if you run out of hot.  If you want, you can get a pool liner to make cleanup easier.  I didn't birth in mine (actually I took a total of one contraction in it) last time, so I don't know how cleanup for that is, particularly without a pool liner.  But a fish tank siphon hose is made to suck up debris along with water.

I'm not in CA, but what I had to do was call the Department of Vital Records for my state, and they sent the appropriate paperwork to me to fill out (we also got paternity papers).  It's pretty easy to fill out.  I actually made a mistake on both of them (I had twins last time), and they said no big deal and just sent me a new set to fill out.  One thing you'll need is proof of pregnancy or a witness to the birth.  I just sent in papers from my OB stating I was pregnant and also pedi papers with the twins' birth date on them.  So I ended up not needing an affidavit filled out by a witness.

Anyway they were very intrigued by my story and were very helpful in making sure I got the papers filled out right and answered all of my questions.  I actually had CPS knocking at my door (because my mom called the cops while I was in labor) a few days after they were born, and even they just asked dumb questions ("how did you cut the cords??") and just gave me a number to call to get the birth certificates.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 PM

subbing  lurk.gif

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

I personally just did research online about all of the what ifs and printed them off after reviewing them several times and then kept the print outs in plastic covers in my birthing kit just in case I needed to know in an emergency situation.

I also had lists of what to do after the baby is born and such. All of that can be found easily on the internet via a quick google search. I of course reviewed it all ahead of time to make myself familiar with the process. And to be honest, there really isn't much that "has" to be done. It really is much more simple than people seem to think. =)

What I did to make my own birthing kit was review birthing kits you could buy online. I put all of that in a rubber maid. Although honestly most of it wasn't used. But it was nice to know I had it handy if needed.

I personally used alcohol to sterilize everything.......but I know not everyone is big on chemicals.

I water birthed with both my UCs and plan to as well with this one. One the water helps with contrax and two it helps contain the mess.
The first I used the bath tub.....the only perks about that were that I could continually add hot water easily (although had to continually drain the tub a little so it wouldn't overflow) and that I could just pull the plug and catch any big debre after birth ...so clean up was decently easy. But it wasn't deep enough to cover my belly and that was annoying. Plus the sanitation was an issue....I was literally cleaning the tub to get in it while in labor because the tub is used daily...and I didn't want to labor in a dirty tub. I did like that it was somewhat sucluded....I am not big on having people around me much.
The second I used a kiddy pool.....and that is what I plan to do this time. It was much better as I bought it new, cleaned it and it was air up and ready to go whenever. But it also took up room for weeks while we awaiting my dds arrival. Also make sure you don't fill it too far in advance or it will get slimy and you will have to empty it and re wash it like I did. One down fall of the pool was that I didn't have hot water access except for it to be bucketed in.....now I had planned to use a sink attatchment to the new hose I bought....but it didn't work that way. So I had to fill the pool from the spicket outside...which was cold water and then bucket in hot water...which the water temp never got to what I wanted. I just gave up. Plus the particular pool I got was a little too shallow...so again it didn't cover my belly......so with this UC I got a deeper pool. When done with the last pool we just drug it outside and dumped it and rinsed it. I intended for the kids to use it for the summer...but I never got around to thoroughly cleaning it for them....so unfortunately it ended up being trashed after a couple of years of sitting outside. Also I think blow up pools are better than hard sides.......more comfy.

I just buried both of my placentas. I have read about people burying it as they plant a baby tree that grows with the baby...and that is their special tree. I really liked that idea, but I never did it. =S
But honestly if you don't plan on using the placenta, you could just throw it away.

I don't know about California but in my state we just go to the govt website and get the contact info. If I remember correctly I got the number for a particular office and called them and asked for the form to be sent to me. And I just had to fill the form out, get it notorized and then send it back to them. And eventually they would send me the ss card. It really wasn't much of deal.  Some states may have the form downloadable/printable. You should be able to do a search on google and find the site for your state and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvieRay View Post

Hello!   I haven't made a final decision for sure if I will be having an unassisted birth but I am very heavily considering it.   This is my second pregnancy,  my first child was born in the hospital after a natural drug free labor.   

I have a copy of Emergency Childbirth. I think I could be much more comfortable with UC if I could find an easy to understand guide to the basics that was very straight forward. The labor itself doesn't intimidate me, it's everything after that which I am fussing over in my head.   I've already got all the trust your body and birth stuff down, what I'm looking for is for concrete stuff like examples of what is needed in a birth kit and how to use everything. 

Since I haven't found anything like what I'm looking for I am getting the idea there isn't anything like it so I suppose the next step is for me to come here and ask the questions I have. 

What is needed in birth kit and what are all those things for?   How do you sterilize the equipment like scissors?  (I'm looking at birth supplies and feeling overwhelmed by all the things there are, is there anywhere that goes over describing the uses of supplies that I can actually read and review?)

The mess, how do you keep it contained and how do you clean it up afterward?  With my first my fluids were leaking everywhere the entire hospital and it was meconium stained, how do you deal with that at home?  Assuming I decide not to keep my placenta for whatever reason, how do I dispose of it?

If I were to have a birth pool what is the process for that?  It is easy to clean and set up?  (I can't imagine my SO being willing to even help with cleaning that.  He isn't good with body fluids and was rather disgusted with that aspect of the birth of our first)

I think there's more but that's all I can think of thus far regarding birth.

The other question is about SS card and birth certificate in California.   How does that work after an unassisted birth?  Particularly if my fiance and I are the only ones at the birth.   I have had OB/midwife care throughout my pregnancy so proof of pregnancy wouldn't be a problem.

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth
User Tag List