Placenta Out vs. Pitocin....and how would I get Pitocin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-08-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are in the beginning stages of planning a UC after discovering that the only MW who attends births where we live now is a flake. :eyesroll.gif

I had a home birth with my dd, which went perfectly, except I retained the placenta and my MW had to manually extract it...not an experience I care to repeat. She told me that if she were with me the next time I birthed, she would give me a shot of Pitocin immediately after I delivered next time to ensure that I didn't stop contracting. That sounded like a fine plan to me, except I'm not sure how I would go about getting Pitocin without a midwife this time around.

As an alternative, I've seen Placenta Out mentioned on this board. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it. I like the idea of using something herbal rather than a synthetic, but want to Make sure I have something that is going to work if I need it.

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#2 of 3 Old 04-10-2012, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

How long  did you retain the placenta before she manually removed it? Although I haven't experienced it personally, I have read that some people just hold onto it for a bit longer.

This is completely unfounded (as in not backed scientifically), but I think our bodies are designed to take care of that.....even if it does take a little longer than we want. I personally just birthed it out (meaning pushed like I was still delivering) the placenta out. Each of my 4 deliveries it came out relatively easily....although with the last it took a little more work...but still ended up out in a decent amount of time.

I personally would not opt for pitocin for any reason. And would go the herb way before any of that.

If your last homebirth was your first child, you probably did not have much if any contrax after delivery. But I have found that after 2nd and so on births, your contrax (although somewhat milder) many times continue (especially if nursing).....which would help with expelling placenta, shrinking fundus (massaging helps too), and stopping bleeding. 

#3 of 3 Old 04-10-2012, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have personally never used it (my placenta came so fast last time I had to attempt to hold it in while my husband ran over with the bowl, LOL), but I have some and heard it works quite well.

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page