We have finally decided.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-11-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant with baby #3. I had my previous 2 in hospitals. The first was horrible and the second was alright, but not the experience I want. My husband and I had talked about doing a home birth but the cost of a midwife was a bit much for us. We dropped the issue and decided to go to the hospital birth route again and pray for a better outcome. After a birthing class last night from a dear friend and a doula, we have changed our minds (my mind has always been on the home birth, but I was very nervous and scared and wanted the support of my husband). I have another friend that lives 1 house away that has done 2 previous unassisted home births and is giving me a few books to read and websites to venture into. I have read a few threads already and got a lot of info so far. I am still nervous but I really want this. So with that being said... Here is my list

- I plan to do a water birth and I am not 100% sure on all the supplies I need or require. 

- My biggest fear so far is with my last child I tore and needed to be stitched. I have heard that I can go into the doctor and get stitched up, however I am looking for ways NOT to tear and any advice would be GREAT! 

- When the baby is born does it matter how far you cut the cord?

- What do you use to weigh the baby after he/she is born?

-  I am wanting to know of any other advice or direction anyone can point me to!!!

Thanks soo much!!

#2 of 7 Old 04-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

CONGRATS on your pregnancy and decision to UC! I thoroughly enjoy UC over any of my hospital or birthing center experiences!
I am going on my third UC (5th child...last two have been UC). So I will try to help you as best I can. =)

With my first (hospital birth) they did an episotomy......which they didn't even ask permission to do....so of course I had stitches.
With the birthing center one, they didn't really do much to check but I assume that I didn't tear.
With my two UCs of course I didn't really know if I tore or not because well I couldn't see down there..lol.
But after each birth down under felt the same....of course it hurt to pee and such. Just generally very sensitive for a while.
I don't want to "make light of it" but my personal thoughts on it is, your body is made to heal itself.......so even if you do tear....then your body will repair itself. I don't think anyone will bleed to death from a tear. But again...this is all unfounded and not backed by science...it is just my personal opinion on it. But I have heard of home "remedies" for such things, I just don't have any personal experience with them. But I am sure others on here can give you more info on that. =)

I have used a fishing scale both times. The first time I had a device that is made for weighing the baby (sling type of thing) and that hooks onto the digital fishing scale. I just hung that up from my closet rod. It was all pretty secure...but I of course made sure I was there to catch the baby if it failed. =S
Also, some just use their normal bathroom scales. Weigh yourself and then weigh yourself with the baby. It is best to do it a couple of times to check your results and of course make sure you do it on a hard surface as opposed to carpet.

With the cord, I don't like it really long, but it needs to be long enough to be tied off so it doesn't leak. I would say an inch or two would be fine.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywifelmg View Post

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant with baby #3. I had my previous 2 in hospitals. The first was horrible and the second was alright, but not the experience I want. My husband and I had talked about doing a home birth but the cost of a midwife was a bit much for us. We dropped the issue and decided to go to the hospital birth route again and pray for a better outcome. After a birthing class last night from a dear friend and a doula, we have changed our minds (my mind has always been on the home birth, but I was very nervous and scared and wanted the support of my husband). I have another friend that lives 1 house away that has done 2 previous unassisted home births and is giving me a few books to read and websites to venture into. I have read a few threads already and got a lot of info so far. I am still nervous but I really want this. So with that being said... Here is my list

- I plan to do a water birth and I am not 100% sure on all the supplies I need or require. 

- My biggest fear so far is with my last child I tore and needed to be stitched. I have heard that I can go into the doctor and get stitched up, however I am looking for ways NOT to tear and any advice would be GREAT! 

-  I am wanting to know of any other advice or direction anyone can point me to!!!

Thanks soo much!!

#3 of 7 Old 04-12-2012, 04:26 AM

so glad for you ! I am in roughly the same boat.I am an Army wife too, and this woul have been my first military hospital delivery ( after 1 civilian hospital, one birth center, and one attended homebirth). I thought I could be fine with that....but I just don't think I can.

Hubby s super supportive and I am so grateful- finally deciding to go for it...really believeing that we are just as capable of providing good care as those midwives----it is so liberating. I feel the happiest,least stressed  I have this entire pregnancy.

Because I had a midwife and a water birth plast time,I  ave kind of used what I remember she had us prepare for last time- with some revisions. I used inhishands.com and yourwaterbirth.com to gather the supplies that would be most useful to us...I think. I probably have a bit more on my list than most UC Mamas, partly because this will be my first UC, and partly because I still feel the need to justify myself in a way-make sure that I am able to provide at least some monitoring for the baby. It is a skill to find the fetal heart rate with a fetalscope, so I have been practicing, as has hubby.

I also have the Emergency Childbirth manual and the Heart and Hands midwife guide. Yourwaterbirth.com also has some good guidelines and suggestionsfor waterbirths,like supply lists and water temperature recommendations ( for baby's safety).

I am 35 weeks right now, so I will update later with a list of what turned out to be useful, superfluous...and what I wish I actually did have on hand :D

and a quick note, from previous experience...I tore ( after an episitomoy) horribly with my first. He was my hospital birth. With my two midwife births, I did not tear...even to the midwife's suprise- my third was my largest baby, posterior with a compound presentation ! PERINEAL SUPPORT WORKS WONDERS !!!

I plan on having my little mini crock pot ready with washcloths( and a swuit of betadine per Heart and Hands) for providing compress/support...it worked a miracle last time, so I am not to worried this time :)

I will be thinking of you and update on the process of UC as a military wife as I navigate it...though I wish I already had more answers to help out with :)

#4 of 7 Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywifelmg View Post

Thanks soo much!!

Birth supplies that would apply to water birth:

- Birth pool

- Air pump

- Siphon hose

- Pool liner 

- Large pot (to boil water)

- Fish net

- Aquarium thermometer

- Something waterproof to put on the floor around the pool

- Towels

I don't remember where I purchased my birth pool, but they're pretty easy to find and it was only about $30 and wasn't ridiculous for shipping.  I got a smaller one because I'm not very tall and I wasn't sure if I'd use it - which I didn't, for my last labor and birth.  I will still set it up this time just in case.  I think you can purchase pool liners in the same place you can get birth pools, but you might be able to find them elsewhere.  All of the other supplies can be purchased at Walmart or some department store.  You can get a siphon hose that hooks up to a tap in your house for $30 in the pet department at Walmart.  You can then fill the pool straight from your sink and also empty it straight into your sink with the hose.  Make sure you have good water pressure, or it might not siphon very well.

Ways to keep from tearing:

- Water birth

- Perineal massage with olive oil while in labor

- Warm compresses on the perineum during pushing

- Perineal support

- Birthing in a squatting or hands and knees position

- Orgasm in early labor (it will help everything relax and stay lubricated), you might also try clitoral stimulation during transition and pushing, as that will help your genital area relax and open up as well.

If you do tear, you can do the following:

- Nothing (I had a vaginal tear that went onto my labia and I did nothing)

- Lay in bed with your legs together for at least a week postpartum

- Use superglue to repair the tear, depending on how bad it is

- Go in to the hospital to get sewn up

It does not matter how much cord you leave on the baby, that is up to you.  However, you will want to leave at least an inch.

The best thing to use to weigh the baby is a fish scale like someone else described.  I was not able to find anything that would work, anywhere, without ordering it online.  I also didn't want something laying around that I wouldn't be using for anything else.  I opted for a kitchen scale instead, one with a plate big enough to hold a newborn, and one that measured in 1 or 2 ounce increments.  I was able to weigh my babies on it until they were about 12 pounds, so I imagine it would work for any newborn.  Alternatively, people have found creative ways to weigh their babies after birth, such as stopping at the post office or grocery store and using a mail or produce scale.  We have put our babies on the produce scales for fun. :)

I would not recommend the bathroom scale method, as it's pretty unreliable, and when you're trying to get a weight on something so small and need to worry about weight gains less than a pound, it's just not accurate enough.  If I want to get a rough weight on my babies I will do this, but I also do it when they are older.

I don't have much advice for you that can be said in a few sentences, and don't want to write you a book, so my best advice is just to keep educating yourself and get more and more comfortable with the thought of going through labor and birth - and being your own midwife, basically.

#5 of 7 Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM

yes I should specify with the bathroom scale...a nice digital is better than an old fashioned one. Most digitals will do ounces.....although again I don't really know how "true" it is. I only have carpet in my house and don't have a nice bathroom scale, so I don't use this method. But I have heard others use it. =)

I found a few choices of fishing scales at Walmart. Some digital and some old fashioned (I suggest digital....they normally have a tare button to counter act whatever you are hanging them)

I never thought about a kitchen scale...although I was always tempted to weigh my babies on the produce scales at the store, but never did..lol.

#6 of 7 Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM

Lol.  I guess I didn't bother looking in the sporting goods section of Walmart (sad, I work there) because I looked at a different store that typically carries more/better stuff than they do.  It was a store aimed at farmers - Fleet Farm.

Yeah, I have a digital scale that measures in tenths of a pound but it's really stupid.  It seems to be a few pounds off (at least from the scale at the doctor's office) and sometimes it gets different weights after three or more tries. XD

#7 of 7 Old 04-15-2012, 01:53 PM

yep walmart sporting goods is where I found mine =S

With my second UC I used my actually baby wearing sling.....but with the first my friend (who also homebirths) let me use a "sling" that is actually made for that purpose and that purposed a lone. =)
I would assume if you wanted one of those, you could search on the internet and find them. I doubt any local store would sell them. I personally like things that multi-task.....I hate clutter....so the sling that I used all the time to wear baby worked great for weighing baby (I used it for weighing even months after birth....well up to the the scale limit).

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page