Quick, Easy UC of Maribel Lee! (Warning: graphic content) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maribel Lee was born at 6:43 a.m. on April 25, 2012.  She is my third UC baby and my first singleton!  She was 8 pounds at birth and is 20.5 inches long with a 13.4 inch head circumference.

Without further ado, here is the birth story/video!

[April 24th] I finally got my husband to DTD with me...Tuesday and Wednesday were my days off and I really wanted to have this baby (I knew my labor would be short and didn't find the thought of having a Walmart baby appealing, though my coworkers did!). It seemed to work with the twins, and well, it worked this time, too. I began getting crampy contractions immediately afterward. I must have been at about 4 cm by this point and felt 80-100% effaced, as I had been slowly dilating/effacing during the last 20 weeks of my pregnancy.  (I had been 3 cm and 50% at 36 weeks...after sex.  I then said "no more sex" until I was ready to have a baby, lol!)  

(I must note that at this point, the contractions I was having felt the same as the prelabor I had been having since 36-37 weeks, the only difference was the crampy feeling of my cervix dilating/being irritable after sex.  I was not initially convinced I was in labor since this was pretty normal for me after sex.)

Contractions were totally bearable and continued for most of the night, very erratic, coming every 3-10 minutes or sometimes more in between. At around 12:50 a.m., they petered out and I was able to sleep. At 3:00-3:30 a.m., contractions started waking me up. I began timing them, and they were about the same intensity as before and still 2-8 minutes apart, again very erratic. At 4:30 I decided to get up, because I was uncomfortable and couldn't sleep through contractions. I continued having them while playing a game on my tablet, and continued timing them.  I was tired, kind of bored, and not really thinking about anything except maybe the contractions would stop so I could sleep.

Then at 5:31 a contraction really hit me and I had to stop and breathe through it. I thought that could actually be something, and after a few more like that, I went and got my birth supplies. I had to stop through contractions, but I had enough time between them to do things. I had stopped timing them by this point so I couldn't say how far apart they were, but I'm pretty sure they jumped to 2-3 minutes apart.

By this time Jason was up too, I didn't even wake him up; I think he just has labor radar. He was awake before I even got out of bed. And also super anxious before we went to bed that night. So he saw me getting my birth supplies and asked if he should call in to work, and I told him yes. I also texted my friends that I wanted there - to no avail. We tried calling them several times and they just didn't pick up.

After laboring in the livingroom for a bit, I felt like I had to poo, so I went to the bathroom, and did so. Laboring on the toilet felt very good and productive, so I ended up sitting there a bit longer, and it wasn't very long that I didn't want to get up and began to feel nauseous. I retched and heaved a few times, but I didn't throw up. In any case, I think it pushed the baby down enough that I was no longer nauseous.

Contractions at this point were crazy. For each one, I grabbed my thighs and squeezed/pulled them back while relaxing my pelvis/uterus. I could actually feel my cervix opening with each one, and the baby moving down a tiny bit each time, too. I had checked myself at some point and was surprised to feel what must have been 6-7 cm and a bulging bag of water. After a couple of contractions, I'd check myself again, and again.  It gave me the strength to get past the intensity of my cervix dilating so quickly - I was panting and sweating buckets.  Soon I was at what must have been a 9-10, and told DH that he had better get ready to videotape. I was having crazy ouchie contractions, and I started pushing with them - that felt good. Then my body kind of went with it and started pushing on its own with contractions, and so I reached in and broke my water with another one - it was easier that way because the contractions made the bag bulge more.

Once I broke that I roared that baby out. Omg. It was effing painful. Not even crowning hurt that bad; it was just contractions and holy this baby filled me up. I really had to make an effort to give birth this time - and I just kept on pushing. Once the head was out (I had my hands down there the whole time, so neat), I reached down further and felt a nuchal cord, and quickly unwrapped it without even thinking about it. I then got to the business of pushing the shoulders out, it was tough so I slid a hand in and pushed her gently up by the shoulder to help out (god I was still in pain!). And she was born, all 8 lbs  of her, after 1 hour and 9 minutes of active labor and 3 minutes of pushing!

That's not the end of it either. So I got my short labor for my baby.  However, the placenta decided to take its sweet time, and I was miserable. I continued getting contractions that were maybe 8-15 minutes apart (not entirely sure), and I had to breathe through them, and they lasted forever, tapering off slowly. I had back labor with this thing, and with none of my babies!! So an hour after birth I decided to cut the cord. I had to clamp it on both ends because my end would bleed.

5 miserable hours after the baby was born, the placenta (somewhat painfully) finally slid out of me. It was so thick! But whole and man I felt like a million bucks after that!

Here is the birth video, I'm so happy to have captured it this time, especially the few first moments.  Wonderful. <3

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Almi/?action=view&current=VID_20120425_064703.mp4

The part where I say "Oh yeah" is when I break my water.  I also do not remember taking such a long break before pushing her out!

SomethingAnonymous likes this.
#2 of 31 Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a picture of the placenta, for those that like to see that end of things. :)

newbaby6.jpg

Less than two hours old - I had just weighed her.

IMG_20120425_092846.jpg

A day old.

m0weeks4.jpg

A few days old.

m0weeks13.jpg

#3 of 31 Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM

That was SO cool and beautiful! Thanks for sharing that video.

Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband luxlove.gif(Aug '01)

Super proud Momma  to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

signcirc1.gif

#4 of 31 Old 05-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Congrats!  Watching births is so beautiful.  Thanks for sharing. 

#5 of 31 Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 PM

What an amazing video to watch - thank you so much for posting it. Happy Babymooning!

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#6 of 31 Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 PM

Such a great video! congrats!

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#7 of 31 Old 05-01-2012, 05:16 PM

Congratulations and thank you for sharing such a beautiful video!

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#8 of 31 Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 AM

Congratulations!!!

thank you so much for sharing!

You make it look so easy! :)

#9 of 31 Old 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM

That was amazing! Thank you for sharing!! Congratulations!

#10 of 31 Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!  Maribel is doing great.  Such an easy baby! <3

Oh, I also forgot to mention, I think, that I was GBS positive for this one.  Just a little side note.  I wasn't really worried about it because I figured I'd have to break my own water right before she was born.  Lol.

#11 of 31 Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 AM

What a beauty! She has got such a perfect little face. AWESOME birth video, mama...congratulations!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#12 of 31 Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 AM

Congratulations to you and family mama, thanks so much for sharing!

#13 of 31 Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!! <3

#14 of 31 Old 05-03-2012, 01:51 PM

Amazing and beautiful!  Congrats!

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#15 of 31 Old 05-05-2012, 05:30 AM

Oh wow mumma!!!!
Congratulations!!!
I must say you make birth look so "normal" smile.gif I wish society could see such empowered educated women doing what we are made to do!
Im looking forward to my own smile.gif
Congrats again smile.gif you are both so beautiful!!!!!!

treehugger.gifHappy Vegetarian Gal and geek.gif Techie Man-   heartbeat.gifNewly Wed!!!heartbeat.gif  Expecting "Albi" Christmas 2012 diaper.gif

Looking forward to homebirth.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif

#16 of 31 Old 05-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Great video, congratulations!

#17 of 31 Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations Mama!! She's SO sweet!!

Welcome Welcome Maribel joy.gif

Thanks so much for sharing your video-Such awesome strength you have superhero.gif

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#18 of 31 Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies!

I, too, like that it makes birth look like a normal event.  And for us, it is.  There's no worrying about getting to the hospital or whatever (I probably wouldn't have made it with this one anyway - shortly after I realized I was in active labor, you couldn't have moved me, which is why I had baby on the toilet).  I broke my own water, pushed my baby's head out, unwrapped her nuchal cord, and pushed the rest of her out.  I like how "normally," in a hospital setting, you'd have doctors and nurses doing those things.  Why the hell anyone would pay someone else to do that for them when they are perfectly capable, I don't know!

Plus, I really wanted to catch my own baby this time, they won't allow you to do that in the hospital!

#19 of 31 Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 PM

bad ass mama! Thanks for sharing! so cool! welcome maribel!

#20 of 31 Old 06-01-2012, 07:02 AM

Congratulations on a wonderful birth and a wonderful baby!! joy.gif Welcome to the world Maribel!!

#21 of 31 Old 06-02-2012, 11:21 PM

Great job rockin' that birth, mama!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#22 of 31 Old 06-07-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies!  I have found that I love watching my birth video...I think it helps keep me from having more babies at the moment. XDD

#23 of 31 Old 06-14-2012, 03:13 PM

Beautiful thanks for sharing.  I wanted to UC last time but ended up at a hospital, and DID deliver her myself.  They do let you do that at some hospitals which is wonderful!

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#24 of 31 Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

That is wonderful!  I was adamant about catching my own baby this time.  I would have been really upset had I not caught her - or at least been the first to touch her.

The hospital where I see my OB does not allow the mother OR the father to catch the baby.  Only the OB can, and if not, the nurse.  For liability reasons, according to my OB.

#25 of 31 Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 PM

What a beautiful story and video - congratulations!  

The same thing happened with my placenta, those awful contractions right when you should be chilling out - ugh!

Mama to my beautiful boys (July 07, Jan 10, May 12)  uc.jpg jumpers.gif

#26 of 31 Old 06-15-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  

Glad I'm not the only one.  Lol.

#27 of 31 Old 08-24-2012, 05:00 PM

This thread is a little old, but I thought I'd say congratulations and that she is beautiful! love.gif  I remember when you were posting on here during your twin pregnancy and I remember your birth story as well (I was also pregnant at the time with my daughter, born March '11).  I remember thinking how strong you were to give birth to your twins with just you and your husband, especially given the adversity from your mother!  Anyway, I'm glad to see you had another wonderful UC, enjoy your kiddos!  (P.S. my daughter has the same musical table, she loves it thumb.gif)

#28 of 31 Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! <3

#29 of 31 Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Dia

Lady you are amazing. I watched your video just in complete awe. Total mama goddess. Very inspiring for me. 

Thank you so much for sharing, and congratulations :)

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
#30 of 31 Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 AM

I have watched your video a few times as inspiration, thanks for sharing it

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page