How to type baby's blood if you are RH-/how to get rhogam after a UC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-06-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 6 wks pg with my 3rd child and planning a UC.  I am rh- and pretty sure dh is rh+.  I am reading that the eldon cards are not reliable.  What are my other options for testing?  What if the baby is rh+ and I need the shot- how would I go about getting a shot of rhogam if I do not have a midwife?  I am planning regular prenatal care with my ob but do not plan on telling her about my uc.  I know I would need it within 72 hrs and all I can think of is to go to the ER... but that risks them asking where the baby is/wanting to see or treat the baby etc.  Ugh, this is making me think UC is impossible.  I am also reading ladies who have declined the rhogam all together.  For those of you that have- where is the research/links that support this?  I plan more pregnancies, so this is important to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-06-2012, 06:07 PM

You could go to ER or call your ob/gyn, give baby came fast line, baby has been checked out already or will be by pedi/family dr etc...

Don't take baby with you when you go in to get shot. 

I uc'ed and the day after I went to ob/gyn just for peace of mind, (who was family friend), (left baby at home), and then took her to pedi later that day. 

ETA: Planned Parenthood would also probably have rhogam, maybe you could walk in there as a 3rd option?

#3 of 3 Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I ran all this by my local natural mamas group and came to the conclusion that the OB option is likely what I'll be doing.  Idk if we have planned parenthood here, but the local health dept is an option too that I just thought of.  My ob doesnt do the shot herself, she sends you to the lab or the hospital lab, so that will be good.  She is a REAL piece of work though.  Gave me 5 scrips that I never used for my last pregnancy and almost had me on the table for a section under the reasoning that my boy was too big for me to birth.  I had him 10 hrs later, vaginally, at 8lbs 1 oz and NO tearing in 3 pushes.  She administered an internal monitor and pitocin without my knowledge too.  And no, there isnt another choice in the area lol.

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page