breaking water - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: have you or your SO ever broke your water during labor to speed things up?
yes 2 16.67%
no 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm due June 14 so this question is for future use not right now, however, I saw a previous post about breaking water using an amnicot or amnihook. I know what these are, however I want to know if its possible to use a crotchet hook if you don't have these. I don't order things offline is why I can't get one. Of not a crochet hook is there anything else. Also please don't be mean. I won't do this until I'm already in labor and only if I need the extra push. Just want to be prepared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

my water broke when baby was coming out. i would never break my own water personally. 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 AM

UCing is about true natural birth. Let it happen as your body and baby just happen. 6000yrs of birth can't be wrong. med science trying to do thing that are not natural only harms women and babies, so they can make more $$$$$$$

DHcaffix.gif meteapot2.GIFDDfemalesling.GIFabout us 3 cats and 4 dogs goorganic.jpgfamilybed1.gifcd.gifsewmachine.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gifsaynovax.gifinthet.gifuc.jpg

Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 AM

I voted yes because during our UC - we tried to break my water because I felt stalled - but it didn't work - apparently my amniotic sac was pretty Glad-Bag Tough :).  I wasn't really stalled and my water broke when I was pushing the baby out.  

For my first birth - the midwife did break my water about 27 hours into labor and perhaps it helped things along a bit.  We consulted about it before hand and decided it was the right move.  I gave birth 4 hours later.

I think I'm a bit ambivalent about water breaking - but not ambivalent in that I think it should be more of a very last resort kind of thing - and not to just "get labor going" - that's a recipe for disaster, in my opinion.  I'm just not sure it helps that much.

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 PM

AROM sucks. Every time you have a contraction, gushes of amniotic fluid come out. It makes labor more intense (for many moms), and is much more uncomfortable and messy than it needs to be. I know because I had it done with my oldest at my homebirth. My mom had AROM with all of us and it sped up her labor, however, that is not the norm. With my UC's, my water stayed in tact until I was pushing. The force of pushing broke the bag. Less uncomfortable labor, less mess, better for mom and baby. The body continues to make amniotic fluid until the baby is born, so really, AROM just makes more work for your already taxed laboring body.

AROM = Artificial Rupture Of Membranes

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 AM

Not a big fan of AROM here, either.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

Old 05-21-2012, 03:02 PM

I am going to add the AROM can cause an increase in danger due to cord prolapse.  My water didn't break until my daughter was OUT.  Seriously, my DH had to tear the amniotic sac AFTER she was delivered. 

Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 PM

I broke my own water when I began pushing with my last birth.  If you watch my birth video (recently posted in this forum), I say "Oh yeah," very close to the beginning, after a push or two.  That's me breaking my water.  I just caught it with my fingernail during a contraction/push.  Felt great, and got the baby out faster.  I was in a lot of pain and wanted her out.

With my twins, my first twin's water broke right before labor began.  The second twin's water broke directly before I started pushing her out, it only took a contraction or two to bring her down.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:08 AM

I think it was in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth where with one woman, labor was stalled, so she poked a pinhole (I think with a needle) into the amniotic sac.  Not a true AROM like they do in the hospital, but it was enough to get labor going.  I haven't broken my own - it was spontaneous with both - but had an amnio hook just in case, and it really does look like a crochet hook, just extra long.  Some non-human primates will rupture their own using their nails, but I think that goes along with following your instincts.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I'd only consider it near or after full dilation and only if I felt like the BoW was in the way. But I think a baby born in the caul would be pretty awesome if it didn't happen to break so I'd have to be really convinced I needed it done. I'm not certain your crochet hook would be sharp enough to break it, but if you did try be sure to sterilize it of course. And wait until WELL into labor if you do.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 PM

I was actually hoping to have Maribel born en caul, but I couldn't take it anymore and wanted her out... >_>

Old 07-17-2012, 12:02 PM

I do not believe hosp. should break people's water, let alone doing something so interventive and unproven at a place (home) that isn't prepared for the consequences of interference.  Birth may not be dangerous, but it is fragile.  If stress and positioning will cause complications, I can't imagine what something like breaking your water would do.

As for the question, you can break your water with your fingers or anything else...

User Tag List