legalities, etc - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-16-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As I have searched through posts I wonder how common CPS involvement is? I do not want this experience to be stressful, hence my decision to UC. I do not want the questions or harassment. So do people who UC normally get reported even with healthy babies? How should I go about the doctor. I am recieving prenatal care because although this is my 6th baby, it is my first UC and I just want to make sure all is fine till delivery. I haven't told him even though he is a great doctor, but I don't know what he thinks of it and don't want to lost prenatal care from him. I'm guessing I'm just going to call after the baby is born and say "OOps, didn't make it". Is that the best approach? All opinions will be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, where is the best place to get a doppler for a good price? I've looked them up and they seem pricey! Do you all recommend having a doppler during delivery, or do you think its unnecessary?

#2 of 3 Old 05-16-2012, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I think it's best to find out the history of CPS involvement in your state. 

#3 of 3 Old 05-21-2012, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It really varies from area to area, and varies between the people that will report you and those that won't.  And CPS employees vary a lot too.

In my own experience, I was getting regular prenatal care with an OB for my twins.  I had a UC, during which my mother panicked and called the police after I wouldn't let her in my house.  Police arrived shortly after the babies were born and did inform us that we weren't doing anything illegal, but that if something were to go awry we could be charged.  Since they were called and children were involved, it is their policy to automatically report to CPS, so they showed up a few days later.  They were all pretty nice, they just asked me dumb questions like "was it planned," "how did you cut the cords," etc.  Then they gave me a number to call to get the birth certificates (that was apparently important to them) and asked me if I planned on having the babies seen by a doctor.  I said yes, and they told me to call and let them know when they have an appointment.  I did, and my case for "inadequate medical care" was closed.

No one at the pedi seemed concerned (some were surprised) that they were UC babies.  The lady I talked to to get the birth certificate packets was surprised, but not concerned.  My OB just said at my 6 week postpartum visit that "it was risky" and left it at that.  I saw the same OB for my last pregnancy and he never mentioned UC, though one of the nurses excitedly asked me if I planned on birhing at home again.

So same thing with this last UC, except no one called the cops, therefore CPS was not involved.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page