Pregnancy Tea with Spearmint? will this affect my milk supply postpartum? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!  I'm a first time mother-to-be living in Argentina about to have a baby boy.  I'm almost 8 months along and I had a strange question.  My mom sent me 'Traditional Medicinals Organic Pregnancy Tea' which is great and has great all organic ingredients to get ready for birth, but I noticed it contained Spearmint. 

Raspberry Leaf

Strawberry leaf

Nettle Leaf

Spearmint leaf?

Bitter Fennel Fruit

Rose Hip

Alfalfa Leaf

Lemon Verbena Leaf

I know spearmint is used to decrease milk supply in breastfeeding women.  I've been avoiding anything minty since then so as to have plenty of milk for when the baby is born.  I even have to make my own toothpaste!

I thought maybe the other ingredients might counteract the affects of spearmint, or maybe spearmint won't affect my milk supply during pregnancy.  I'm stumped! Can anyone help me out?

#2 of 6 Old 05-25-2012, 08:42 PM

I don't know about Spearmint but Verbena is supposed to be drying herb as well.  If you want to tone up for birth you could just drink the RRL all on its own with maybe Nettle and Alfalfa.  Its a tough choice.  Hopefully someone with more know how will stop by.  I'd be interested to know too as I just bought  4oz of loose leaf spearmint to mix up my own pregnancy brew.  I had supply problems with DS and really dont want to mess up anything by drinking a drying up herb by accident!!!

How exciting though.  Baby on his/her way!  All the best for a happy delivery.

Catherine & Baby Vee
Mama to Vinayak {8/2007} & Married to Sridhar {11/2001}
#3 of 6 Old 05-25-2012, 08:50 PM

OP, don't worry about it until you actually have your baby, then I would avoid spearmint. My pregnancy tea that I make include spearmint and/or peppermint, because it is super soothing on my tummy, and I just make my mix without it once I give birth. So for now, until your little on arrives, drink up in my opinion! thumb.gif

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#4 of 6 Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 PM

didnt seem to affect my supply at all. i was drinking a few cups a day the last few weeks of pg

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#5 of 6 Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 PM

this time around i just got a 1 lb bag of RRL online since it was a cheaper option

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#6 of 6 Old 05-26-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight! Here it's impossible to get red raspberry leaf so I appreciated the boxes of tea my mom sent me.  I can however get nettle leaf because it grows everywhere.

It sounds like it's okay to drink Traditional Medicines Pregnancy Tea.  It's really yummy!    

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page