Tearing during UC: experienced mothers advice please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was wondering what to do if I tore during an UC.  I'm a first timer, and one of the things on my mind is what to do if I tear at home.  I don't like the idea of rushing to the hospital.  Tearing isn't actually a fear of mine at all.  I know my body is a great self healer, BUT I am afraid however of having to rush to the doctor just after the baby is born.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I've read a lot of mamas here just use home remedies to heal tears, but if it's really bad you can go to the ER for stitches and or if you're in touch w/a midwife sometimes they'll come over to give you a few stitches.

I've heard birthing in water lessens the chance of tearing as does massaging w/oil before/during labor...

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
Old 05-26-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Good to know.  If you know any home remedies pass them on.  I'll do a little resaerch my self as well.  What kind of massage oil is used? thanks again!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:45 PM

I just kept my legs together and things healed fine. I was only in need of one stitch anyway. Keep your legs together and dont walk around if you can help it. One of the things i have hear recommended the most is raw seaweed (google ot orngbiggrin.gif).
I did not do any 'prepping' such as massage and eveything was fine.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
No experience with UC (yet!) but on two occasions I had nasty tears that would not have healed on their own and most likely would have gotten infected..(So far, I've given birth with midwives, so they were able to do the suturing).

Are you seeing a doctor for shadow care? A good number of my friends who UC and do this have found that it's advantageous to have an established relationship with a doctor. Of course, they pass off their UCs as "oopses," which may be a good a good strategy depending on the cultural climate where you are, (I.e. if UC or even midwifery are frowned upon). This way, the care is readily available...but no doctor will hassle your choice to UC...if s/he thought all along that you were intending on a hospital birth... Anyway, that's one option....

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 05-30-2012, 01:34 PM

If you have a tear that goes into the muscle, based on my reading, it does need to be sutured. 

The best description I have read is to imagine what happens when you rip the waistband of a pair of elastic shorts.  You could just repair the fabric cover of the waistband, but your shorts will not stay up.  You have to actually stitch together the elastic for a true repair to occur.  Your muscle is like the elastic in the shorts. 

So, with a vaginal tear your skin may self heal, but the underlying muscle won't.  That muscle damage may have long term impact on things like urinary continence, etc.

The only way that muscle will heal is if it is sutured together by someone with the correct clamps and tools to put things back in their correct anatomical place.

I support homebirth that meets the qualifications set forth in the AAP's 2013 policy on homebirth.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:55 PM

I used superglue for my superficial tears.  Thank goodness no muscle was affected.  I've also heard of great success just holding your legs together for a week or so, which isn't so hard after having a baby.  It's not like you want to be up riding bicycles or anything.  I highly recommend oils and massage.  I had a friend who used the mederma stretchmark cream for massage and stretching and it worked great.  And of course, remember that positive thoughts and actions also greatly affect your outcome.  Just remember to listen to your body, it's not silent.

Meg :D

Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

From all this great info, I do my massages, but if I do tear I'll make sure to go to the hospital with my legs closed for them to fix it.  If the tear isn't to nasty could I wait until the next morning for them to fix it?  I guess I'll have to guess that one.  Thanks everyone for your helpful comments!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 AM

Oh! Oh! Oh! *waves hand frantically* I can do this one! energy.gif

I had second degree tears with both of my UC births. With the first, I had midwives do my prenatal and postnatal care, they just agreed not to be there for the actual birth. When they came afterward, they asked me if I wanted to be stitched or not. I said I did. It ended up being pretty awful. I had a lot of pain after sex for years.

With this last birth (in March), I tore again - 2nd degree, into the muscle just like the first. My body really steamrolls my babies out. I couldn't get anyone to stitch it for me, so I decided to just let it heal on its own. I kept my legs together as much as I could, lay down as much as possible without sitting on it and took very good care of it.

I washed it twice a day with soap and water, sprayed it with 1/2 water and 1/2 witch hazel in a peri bottle every time I went to the bathroom and I also used an herbal salve on it but I don't think the salve did much good.

The one thing that I cannot recommend to you enough - the thing that really made all the difference - was an herbal sitz bath. I felt it was too much to do and didn't start one until about 10 days later. So stupid. I wish I had done it from day one. Nothing helped heal me like that herbal sitz bath did. Nothing. I could feel how much it was helping every single time I did it. It was amazing. The herbal sitz bath had comfrey in it as well as sage and rosemary and some other herbs, but the calendula is really the most important ingredient. Get some! I took my sitz baths in the evening before bed, but if I had started from day one, I'd have taken two per day.

With any luck, you won't tear at all. I did kegels and massage with my first and still tore. Then I read that it's bad to do massage because it can create small fissures which make you more likely to tear. Honestly, I have to very, very strongly disagree with any advice that is so abnormal. It's just not something that animals or humans in a natural condition would do so it feels very wrong to me. I just can't see how it would help, but some women do swear by it. It didn't help me.

With my second birth, I did no kegels and no massage. Still had a 2nd degree tear. It's okay to tear in my opinion. It's natural. Even animals tear. I guess nature never saw fit to prevent tears since they do heal up fine if you take care of them.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 06-03-2012, 10:52 AM

I tore with my UC but it was up by my clitoris, rather than on the perineum.  I also had a lot of skid marks (short labor, very fast pushing stage) but I just did like amberskyfire and rinsed every time I went to the bathroom with a peri bottle.  I also can't recommend the herbal sitz baths enough.  There are a lot of pre-packaged ones you can buy online.  I didn't need any stitches with my tear either but kept it clean and kept my legs together for the duration.  2 1/2 weeks after the birth I was back on the motorcycle, no problems.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:44 PM

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/childbirth.html

this site gives info one a page about tears and bleeding to much to. which could go hand in hand. dont think i tore bjut bleed alot was getting dizzy. could have been didnt eat much that day. 9 days ago. i used the pepper teniture she give on site. bleeding went to less then half when i did that. then i took 2 days worth garden of life pernatal vits. and ate raisions and took magnesuam 500. was good in a few mintues. just tips here for you.

DHcaffix.gif meteapot2.GIFDDfemalesling.GIFabout us 3 cats and 4 dogs goorganic.jpgfamilybed1.gifcd.gifsewmachine.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gifsaynovax.gifinthet.gifuc.jpg

Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks you for your reccommendations but for some reason the url doesn't work for me and gives me a 404 :-S

Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much amberskyfire! This post was so helpful! I've started the perineal massage already but I guess I should stop.  When you say keep your legs together does that I shouldn't even walk? I feel so young and naive to ask that kind of a question.  This is my first baby, and I'm 35 weeks along.  I got an ultra sound at 34 weeks and they told me that the baby was already an estimated 6 pounds!  I feel better understanding the natural healing power of my body.  I will make sure to keep it clean.  We don't have a bath tub, but maybe we'll leave the pool we bought for birth out for some time after if I tear.  Your post made me feel so much better, and I appreciate you sharing your experience with other women like me! Thanks again

Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Slightly off-topic, but I have one important FYI:  Late-term ultrasounds are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate, (to the point of being medical quackery, IMHO!) at predicting the baby's weight and due date.  Here's a great piece from Consumer Reports on this very topic:   http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/what-to-reject-when-you-re-expecting/index.htm

From the article:

Quote:

5. Ultrasounds after 24 weeks

Unless there is a specific condition your provider is tracking, you don’t need an ultrasound after 24 weeks. Although some practitioners use ultrasounds after this point to estimate fetal size or due date, it’s not a good idea because the margin of error increases significantly as the pregnancy progresses. And the procedure doesn’t provide any additional information leading to better outcomes for either mother or baby, according to a 2009 review of eight trials involving 27,024 women. In fact, the practice was linked to a slightly higher C-section rate.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 06-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I had a 4th degree tear with my first, and an episiotomy with my second.  I just had my UC with my third a couple of weeks ago, and yay - more tearing...

We were planning on going to hospital to have the baby checked over anyway, we gave them them the old "oh, it all happened so fast" line.  My placenta didn't detach so we went in 6 hours after the baby was born.  I had given my perineum a quick check over, and totally thought I had got away with it this time.  Sadly not though - 3rd degree tear into my old scar  :(

Having it stitched totally sucked (apparently it is more uncomfortable the longer you leave it after the birth, and it needs to be done within 12 hours ideally) but I'm glad we were there anyway for the placenta - I suspect it was a bit too deep to heal well on its own.

Mama to my beautiful boys (July 07, Jan 10, May 12)   
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Rush" is pretty subjective. You mean you don't want to go within 1 hour or within 4 hours? I went in. I'd bought superglue and nori paper. But after placenta detached in a timely fashion, I felt
Ike the raw edge was a bit much to glue and maybe I should get checked. I didn't scramble off to hospital. Took my time, had a lovely nurse with Baby. Then left her at home with Dad and went to the local hospital about 2minutes down the road to get stitches. (Didn't want Baby in there) . Got about 5-7 stitches so was glad I decided to go in.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
Old 06-30-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyInArgentin View Post

Thank you so much amberskyfire! This post was so helpful! I've started the perineal massage already but I guess I should stop.  When you say keep your legs together does that I shouldn't even walk? I feel so young and naive to ask that kind of a question.  This is my first baby, and I'm 35 weeks along.  I got an ultra sound at 34 weeks and they told me that the baby was already an estimated 6 pounds!  I feel better understanding the natural healing power of my body.  I will make sure to keep it clean.  We don't have a bath tub, but maybe we'll leave the pool we bought for birth out for some time after if I tear.  Your post made me feel so much better, and I appreciate you sharing your experience with other women like me! Thanks again

I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you until now.

Keeping your legs together means you can walk, just don't squat, spread your legs open, etc. Keep them as together as possible and avoid walking whenever you can.

And an update! I saw an OB who checked me out a few weeks ago and said that everything looked fantastic. We tried sex (my husband and I, not the OB, LOL!) and it was sore, but didn't feel as bad as it used to before I tore the second time. It feels like it's going to be totally fine and my husband says it feels the same as before.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Had some stuff at home to prepare for self-care, but decided upon post-birth inspection that while half of the tear looked easy to glue, the rest of it didn't. Went to the hospital for stitches just over an hour after the birth. Had time to relax at home, nurse baby, cuddle, look after placenta, etc. Was not a rush. No big deal to go in for the stitches. 

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 AM

Thanks for starting this thread and all who replied. I am on #2 and deciding between midwife home birth and UC. I had a midwife for my first, but it was a disagreeable experience in some ways. I had a 2nd degree tear and my midwife was not able to sew it up. she called on another midwife in town who sewed me up. It was about 2-3 hours after the birth. I didn't feel a thing and was just in this relaxed, open state, holding my baby the whole time. That was about as good experience as I could imagine. 

One thing I hadn't heard, or didn't want to hear! was that it might really be best for healing and long term healing to not have sex for a good long while. We tried at 6 weeks and then waited. It was really only after almost 6 months that sex felt good again and since then I have had not problem. The perineal area heals amazingly well!!! we are just meant to tear and heal there. So have faith in that. I could still sense the trauma in that area and still don't like my perineal area stretched too much. But that feels natural and I feel sensitivity and care towards areas that have once been hurt, is positive not a negative. 

I am quite sure being sewn up shortly after the birth will be best if possible as you are still so high on oxcytocin and so on. 

Earthy Mama treehugger.gifmarried to my best friend with a sweet,joy.gif Spark of Love born 1.2.10, expecting hola.gif 3.4.13!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 05:31 PM

I know of at least 2 midwives here that will stitch you afterwards.  One midwife says it can be done within 24-48 hours.

I tore bad with one of my uc's and I beleive it was from not supporting the perrenium  as well as pushing during the crowning phase instead of controlled panting. I was squatting and I think this contributed to the really fast entry. I wish I had been lyeing on my side.  Sometimes they can come really fast.

I really like the idea of strong counter pressure on my perenium, I did this as a doula for a mom who was having a pretty fast pushing phase (2 pushes) and she had no tearing.

I'm a doula and not a midwife. 

i hear superglue works but for me I would prefer stitches afterwards from a friendly midwife.

User Tag List