Low blood pressure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-05-2012, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My blood pressure is typically on the lower side. I have had issues with my blood pressure dropping dangerously low during labor, but I think it is because of the epidurals that I got. Shortly after my epidurals kicked in my blood pressure would begin to drop. This is the only thing that really scares me deciding on my first UC. I don't foresee my BP dropping since I wont have an epidural this time, but since I'm always lower anyway I wonder how easy it may be for it to drop anyway. Do you all think I'll have a problem with my BP w/o epidural? If my BP does drop what can I do to get it raised up to try and prevent a hospital trip?

#2 of 3 Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Epidurals are known for lowering blood pressure, often dangerously even without a history of low BP. Day to day I often get low BP too. If mine starts to drop generally I drink a lot of water or juice and eat something with salt. A homemade sports drink would be good, honeyed lemonade with salts or just have some Gatorade. Oh also I tend toward low iron so I will sometimes take something with iron and B vitamins like Floridix and that picks me up a lot too when I have those symptoms. In the hospital they'd likely first give you IV fluids for low bp in labor, so for minor issues at home drinking lots should have some of the same effect. Do test yourself at home if you start to feel wrong and be willing to transfer if it gets bad to certain point of course, it can only get worse in third stage as you lose some blood volume.

ETA One other thing, go by what is normal for you, day to day feeling fine, to call that normal, and what's low for you (makes you dizzy and seeing spots) for what is too low. If you're athletic or just tend lower normal might be 110/60 or some such thing and that's totally fine, but a problem when you dip closer to 90/45 (like in my case).

#3 of 3 Old 06-06-2012, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Low BP must be normal for you as it is for me.  A drop in BP during pregnancy can indicate, dehydration, anemia or hypoglycemia.  I think the other posters suggestions were great.  It can also indicate a healthfully expanded blood volume. I second the Epidural information, a drop in BP is one of the risks of epidural.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page