Strongly considering a UC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi. Hubby & i are expecting our 3rd baby. We are planning a homebirth with a midwife. My baby is due is October. i feel confident that i would be able to do this on my own. I know dh doesn't feel comfortable with that. I wanted to do an UC with my last birth but i just wasn't as confident as i am now. I'm going to have my first prenatal appointment with my hb midwife tomorrow. I'm wondering if there is someway I could just have the midwife come to check out the baby & assist me with the birth certificate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

That's something you'd have to ask her if she were comfortable with, usually midwives would strongly prefer if you're under their care they have the chance to watch out for you and baby. They'll feel responsible for heart rate checks, blood pressure checks, and being there in case of emergencies. But there can be middle ground, you could do an oops didn't have time to call or stay in contact by phone in active labor and tell her you aren't ready for her to come over yet, that it's just early labor, and then asking for her very last minute or afterwards.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. You are right on the money. My midwife didn't feel comfortable with that. She wanted to still do her mandatory checks & what not. I understood. Then she jokingly said " make sue you call me when you think your in active labor" lol.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:05 PM

I agree with Jamie, if you really want to, just don't call her and tell her. When the baby is born, just call her and tell her it happened really fast and you just kinda went into your zone and didn't think about anything except birthing the baby.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingAnonymous View Post

I agree with Jamie, if you really want to, just don't call her and tell her. When the baby is born, just call her and tell her it happened really fast and you just kinda went into your zone and didn't think about anything except birthing the baby.

For me, this wouldn't be a lie for my first labor.  I was so in the zone I forgot to ask DH to take pictures. :(

Honestly if I had a midwife that was that pushy about being there for the birth, I'd drop her.  But...that's why I birth unassisted.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almi View Post

For me, this wouldn't be a lie for my first labor.  I was so in the zone I forgot to ask DH to take pictures. :(

Honestly if I had a midwife that was that pushy about being there for the birth, I'd drop her.  But...that's why I birth unassisted.

She wasn't too pushy, I felt like there was genuine concern there. My last birth was really fast so she wants me to call as soon as I know I'm in labor. When i read about the possible issues that could come up, I realize that i don't feel like I would be capable of handling it alone. So I won't plan for a UC.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Ah.  It would seem pushy to me.  Me telling a midwife I want to birth without her there and then her telling me that I "had better call her" would not go over well, that's for sure.

In any case, I'm glad you were able to come down to the choice that works best for you.  UC is not for everyone.

User Tag List