Releasing Cervical Scar Tissue During Labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am pretty set on having an unassisted birth but I have one thing that is concerning me.  I have scarring on my cervix from a laceration during my first birth (midwife removed a lip of cervix) and I'm concerned about it potentially impeding labor/dilation.    I've heard lots of stories of midwives massaging the scar tissue out of the cervix during labor, does anyone know anything about doing this yourself during labor?   I'm concerned of course that even if I were to be in the hospital and the scar tissue was impeding the birth the midwives there wouldn't know to massage the scar tissue out either.   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 02:16 PM

First, if the midwife slipped an anterior lip, that doesn't mean your cervix tore.  It is very rare for a cervix to tear.  If it had torn, you would have most likely been transferred for the repair.  Most cervical scar tissue comes from LEEPs or biopsy.

It is true that scar tissue can hold up labor but eventually the body usually breaks it up.  If you want to speed the process, you could learn to do your own vag exams and when you are in labor, you could try stretching the scarred area yourself.

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student
Old 06-17-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

It was a CNM at a hospital birth.   My cervix was repaired by the on call OB after the midwife repaired my perineum.  At the time my uterus started to prolapse and my cervix was right at the opening of my vagina for months after the birth.  I think it was a mixture of directed pushing (which made me push my baby out too fast), pushing on my back, and moving the lip of cervix that may have caused the tear.  I imagine that stitches with a needle on my cervix would leave scar tissue, you can feel that one side of my cervix has a totally different shape and texture than the other.  

Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 PM

It definately sounds like you tore your cervix - pretty rare.  I have worked with birthing mommas for over a decade (the last 6.5 yrs as a L&D RN) and have never witnessed a cervical tear (or heard of one happening).  Most likely, you will labor for longer while your body tries to break up the scar tissue.  It is normal for a cervix to feel differently shaped after you have a baby whether you have experienced a cervical tear or not. 

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student

User Tag List