Miscarriage? Wondering what to do - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I am currently 12 (almost 13 weeks) along with our 5th child, 3rd unassisted.  I don't know any of the abbreviations in the forum, so I'll just be spelling everything out. Anyway, yesterday afternoon I started experiences completely debilitating cramps, like nothing I've ever felt before. I haven't eaten anything strange recently, tho I did have light diarrhea all day yesterday (sorry for too much info). That being said I am not bleeding and I'm now having dull cramps, nothing near what I experienced and my dh (I know that one!) has taken the day off work.

I have a history of miscarriages, alot. But they have all been before 8 weeks. I have insurance and I have been thinking about going to the hospital to get checked out, it just feels like overkill and I'm sure they are going to be real nice to me.....But I would like to hear the heartbeat, or just know whats going on.  Any advice mamas? Should I just wait it out? Or am I overreacting to the cramping yesterday? Also I have been very dizzy since it happened and am still unable to walk the length of our house without feeling like I need to sit down. Just wondering if anyone has any kind of similar experience to share? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 PM

I have not had this experience, but I would trust your gut. Sounds like you need to get more information. Do you have any alternative to going to the hospital? Anyone you could call to give you advice first?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 PM

I would go and get it checked out.  I would just want to rule out an ectopic pregnancy.  I know 12 weeks is far along for that, but it's possible that the fetus stopped developing earlier on.  Debilitating cramps sound serious enough to warrant an investigation.  I hope all is well with the pregnancy.  Good luck!

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 PM

When I had my second miscarriage, at about 10 weeks, I had cramps (alternating from mild to severe) for a few days.  I did not bleed or spot, but remember a feeling of a "gush" of liquid, although I chalked it up to normal pregnancy mucus kind of stuff at the time.  It wasn't until weeks later that I had an ultrasound and found out there was no heartbeat.  I also remember being somewhat dizzy and would bust out in a cold sweat at any moment for weeks after the cramping.  Looking back, I'm sure it was my levels dropping, but I didn't know it.  I would see if you can go about getting it checked out, just so you know what is going on.  At least then you know what to prepare for.  Keeping you in my thoughts....

~~~Jennifer~~~

Mama and stepmama to DSS1 (16), DSS2 (12), DSS3 in heaven, DD1 (9), DSS4 (8), DS1 (7), DD2 (1) and DS2 due spring 2014!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice mamas, it felt good to see 3 replies this morning. 

I did go to the hospital yesterday as I was getting dizzier and my mother in law was available to watch our younger children. The baby had no heartbeat and measured between 7 and 8 weeks.greensad.gif Still no bleeding though, but really wanting to miscarry at home vs a dnc.  The doctor was really clear to me on what I need to watch for in the next week or so, which was really nice.  And I must say, for living in Oklahoma (which hasnt been the most homebirth friendly place in my experience) the doctor and nurses were incredibly kind, and in fact did a lot of praising "wow youre brave" "you must be so strong" Was nice to be treated well in such a vulnerable time.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and reply. I really appreciate it. I don't post often but I value this resource!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:34 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

*HUGS*

*EXTRA HUGS*

User Tag List