Wondering About Multiples - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: After reading my post, do you think I could be pregnant with multiples?
No, unless you prove it with an ultrasound 12 66.67%
Possibly Twins 3 16.67%
Possibly Triplets 2 11.11%
Possibly Quads (just to set the husbands mind at ease - I'm not expecting you to vote in this column, but just so you coud give your honest opinion its's here!) 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#91 of 103 Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should probably change the name of this thread from "opinions wanted" to "support only."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 103 Old 07-15-2012, 08:45 PM

I have to say if you don't want people offering their opinions then you shouldn't ask for them.  I also think it's incredibly irresponsible to possibly be high risk, which triplets would be, and not seek prenatal care.

obstruct livery vehicles

#93 of 103 Old 07-15-2012, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post

At some point in a pregnancy with multiples, everything is stressful - strangers in the house, the babies in yous belly, fear of going into labor early, concerns about distance from a NICU, labor (regardless of whether it's early or not), the demands of caring for brand new super-tiny babies, your other kids adapting to your condition and the new babies, the list goes on and on.  While avoiding stress is undeniably good for everyone's health, you don't always get to make that choice.  Is there a church or agency in your community you would feel comfortable reaching out to for help with childcare if you need it?  I'm sure you have your teen helping, and I'm sure she's fabulous, but she would probably need significant support if, for example, you had to go on bed rest and your dh had a bad spell.

No one is ever really in a great situation to have twins or triplets without support.  In both the long and short term, the best way to preserve your health and your babies' health is to actively reach out for some help.  If the stress of having strangers in the house on a planned basis or calling doctors' offices to schedule an ultrasound is bad for you and your dh, imagine what the stress of having a medical emergency with one or more babies in serious distress and/or you in a critical condition with no help on hand and having to call the EMS for heliport to the nearest hospital with NICU would be like.  I'm not trying to bring this up to stress you out and trash UC.  I'm trying to suggest that with concrete information about exactly how many babies are in there and what kind of conditions or complications they are/are not facing, you will be better able to evaluate your situation identify the resources you may need to handle any difficulties that arise with minimal strain on your family.  Your ideas about the protective impacts of nutrition seem like wishful thinking on your part.  Things can go wrong in ANY pregnancy in the healthiest of mothers, and more things can go wrong in a multiple pregnancy, no matter how attentive you are to your nutrition and stress levels.

An ultrasound will not boil your DNA.  If it was producing that much heat, it would cause third degree burns. 

Gently mama, are you unwilling to seek care because you can't afford it?  Do you need help applying for Medicaid? 

Thanks for your reply. You didn't manage to raise my defenses.

I do wonder if we define "health" the same way, but I'm not trying to shove my opinions here on anyone else.

Microwave ovens produce radiation that literally stays in the food until it's cold again. It doesn't have to burn you to cause serious health problems.

And you see, I'm not stressing about those things that you mention. I mitigate. One thing I'm being forced to consider is mitigating my contact with the mothers of the UC board here. And it would be a real shame considering some of you might actually say something life changing for me. It's happened to me before on the internet, like when I discovered I could feel comfortable with doppler checks under certain conditions.

As far as financial aid. I don't yet know where it will come from if we need it but my husband has been very wise and resourceful before, assuming I don't lose him. And God's always been there for me. I do have friends and family. I don't use them unless forced to. If it was an emergency I think I would take extra measures to seek that help. But I can't make myself do it unless I know I have to. The risks to the family from intervention are real in my mind.

The point about nutrition is that I'm not up a creek without a paddle. Nutrition and health has been a major focus of my attention since I was a young teen, aspiring to be a medical missionary. I personally know people who cured their cancer naturally on death's doorstep. The relative that raised me for several years, in fact. It had metastasized to her liver and her colon was 100% blocked but she reversed it completely herself at home and was eventually declared cancer free. I personally cured my hypoaldosteronism (that means I got my lab work done and I personally tracked my progress) months prior to getting pregnant this time around. And during those months I gave serious attention to preventing complications of pregnancy, taking many steps others might consider radical to be assured of the best health I could achieve. (which included a partially erupted wisdom tooth extraction just for the sake of the upcoming pregnancy)  I walk a path less traveled. Maybe I'm "all wet" as they say, but I have yet to be convinced. I'm doing the best I can with the tools I have.

#94 of 103 Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

I have to say if you don't want people offering their opinions then you shouldn't ask for them.  I also think it's incredibly irresponsible to possibly be high risk, which triplets would be, and not seek prenatal care.

I didn't ask for people to bash me. I asked for a couple of specific opinions.

#95 of 103 Old 07-15-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedJess View Post

I didn't ask for people to bash me. I asked for a couple of specific opinions.

And you didn't like any of them.  I'm not really sure what you expected people to say when you said you had no idea how babies you were carrying, but refused to get an u/s, despite using a doppler.

obstruct livery vehicles

#96 of 103 Old 07-15-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

And you didn't like any of them.  I'm not really sure what you expected people to say when you said you had no idea how babies you were carrying, but refused to get an u/s, despite using a doppler.

Please leave this thread. You are misrepresenting me. There have been a number of thoughtful posters here, and I've appreciated their input. 'Nuff said.

#97 of 103 Old 07-15-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
  I don't see why I'm getting this attitude from some of you.

I'll go ahead and take a stab at this. It's because:

1.) you started a thread asking very clearly and explicitly for opinions.....but you've dismissed pretty much every opinion that doesn't line up exactly with what you wrote in your OP.

2.) you've said some incredibly insensitive and offensive things wrt child loss.

3.) you're spreading misinformation on a public forum. You've had now a couple of people who've ACTUALLY BEEN THROUGH THIS BEFORE and an ACTUAL DOCTOR trying to explain it to you, but you're being dismissive and argumentative with them.

4.) Gently-- your attitude is incredibly smug and superior. If you don't understand that, I can highlight some quotes of yours to show you what I mean.

loveneverfails likes this.

caffix.gif
#98 of 103 Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedJess View Post

Please leave this thread. You are misrepresenting me. There have been a number of thoughtful posters here, and I've appreciated their input. 'Nuff said.

How exactly am I misrepresenting you?  I am genuinely confused as to what you mean and also what you want out of this thread.  This could be a very dangerous situation for you and the baby/babies and I think even the hardcore U/Cers are concerned.  And before you ask, my last kid was a U/C so it's not like I'm super pro hospital birth for everyone.

obstruct livery vehicles

#99 of 103 Old 07-15-2012, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Wow! I just finished reading this whole thread and I have to say, "Go Jess Go!" joy.gif

It sounds like you're doing great! Trusting your body and your mama intuition, feeding yourself and your babes, tracking measurements and dates, etc.

I'd be completely wary about seeking medical advice in your shoes too. I don't plan to have any medical professionals involved in my pregnancies either (unless of course something isn't right that I don't feel confident about remedying myself) including U/S.

It's sad to see so many folks unwilling to take responsibility for their lives, families, and health. Our culture has done an amazing job of instilling fear into the masses. But for those of us willing to take our lives into our own hands...Let's stick together, eh? grouphug.gif  You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers praying.gif

littlebastet and BlessedJess like this.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#100 of 103 Old 07-16-2012, 05:00 AM

One minute of doppler is equal to 35 minutes of ultrasound.  So your babies would have been much better off with a quick ultrasound to check and see how many and other important factors.  But instead, you are exposing them to the equivalent of nearly three hours of ultrasound exposure and not gaining much of any knowledge besides they have beating hearts.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=one%20minute%20of%20doppler%20is%2035%20minutes%20of%20ultrasound&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=158101d518659935&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1241&bih=555

#101 of 103 Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegirl View Post

I'll go ahead and take a stab at this. It's because:

1.) you started a thread asking very clearly and explicitly for opinions.....but you've dismissed pretty much every opinion that doesn't line up exactly with what you wrote in your OP.

2.) you've said some incredibly insensitive and offensive things wrt child loss.

3.) you're spreading misinformation on a public forum. You've had now a couple of people who've ACTUALLY BEEN THROUGH THIS BEFORE and an ACTUAL DOCTOR trying to explain it to you, but you're being dismissive and argumentative with them.

4.) Gently-- your attitude is incredibly smug and superior. If you don't understand that, I can highlight some quotes of yours to show you what I mean.

^This exactly.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#102 of 103 Old 07-16-2012, 11:08 AM

this thread is being closed for review again due to numerous reports.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#103 of 103 Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

javajunkie I removed your post, which was very unkind, and will send you a warning by PM. 

This thread seems to have turned very adversarial and personally pointed. Everyone has made it very clear what their concerns are so I think we can end it here. 

BlessedJess, if you have different question or need info for something else you can post a new thread. If you are looking for support only you can either state that in your thread title or apply to join the UC Lounge. 

Closed Thread

Tags
Pregnancy , Unassisted Childbirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page