What would Laura Shanely Do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do you think Laura Shanely would handle a triplet pregnancy, if she went through one, hypothetically, based on her public promotion of UC? [I'm not asking for trouble here, just talking in terms of assuming she's consistent with her values as publicly expressed]

I feel she would just handle it calmly and independently like she did her footling breech. As I recall her story she knew in advance he was breech and even had a dream showing her how she would birth him. I found it quite inspiring to read her birth stories when I first made my choice to UC. Between her and Laurie Morgan's internet book (I forget the name of it) I was very excited to start that journey, although you can bet my internet research didn't end with those two inspirational examples.

Maybe here's an even better question, how do you think you would handle one? (asking of the women who have experience with UC)

I guess what I'm really curious to know is - it beyond your limits to accept spontaneously conceived triplet birth as part of the variation in normal free birth? Is it something that scares you to think about?

#2 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

I really LOLed when I realized what the initials for "What would Laura Shanely do" spelled...

WWLSD!

ROTFLMAO.gif

[so I guess we better not tell anybody...]

#3 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

She's so intuition oriented I'd say she'd go with her gut on it, UC as a matter of course but if something within her told her to get help or monitoring she would.

#4 of 6 Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 AM

I agree that what I know about Laura Shanley she would probably go with the intuition thing and seek care if her gut screamed at her to.

For ME-I'm not frightened of the multiple prospect-just a different realm of educating oneself and dealing with nutrition in a different way to keep the babies in long as possible, etc. I'd have to have a profound sense of peace about the whole thing...and then prepare, prepare, prepare...otherwise I would find a midwife who had a measure of experience with multiples and didn't mind 'helping' at the birth or would educate me and my dh.

In the case of an emergency or gut instinct, however-i would seek some sort of care outside of that.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#5 of 6 Old 07-14-2012, 09:19 AM

I think I'd probably dig out a midwife who felt confident about delivering triplets naturally. This is our first UC, and I'm about as hands off as they come, but I'd be worried about getting the proper nutrition for THREE babies, and would want some extra monitoring by someone who had seen a multiple pregnancy before. 

I think if it were twins, I'd feel differently though. I think I'd want confirmation that it was multiples beyond my gut instinct, but beyond that, I think I'd be ok continuing with a planned UC. 

partners.gif DP and I since 2007, superhero.gifDS born late 2008,

belly.gif Excitedly expecting #2 mid-October 2012!!!

#6 of 6 Old 07-14-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

We all have our limits when it comes to UC birth, I'm sure. I don't think there's a woman alive who wouldn't make an exception for herself during a pathological scenario. Unless the distrust and fear of hospitals and the medical monopoly means they would rather enter the morgue than the ER - and I've met a few like that. I actually feel a lot of sympathy for those women. Once you are in the hospital, you have rights, of course, but it's barely even a chance these days that your rights as a parent and as an individual adult will be respected. You are entering a battle zone, and that's the opposite type of environment a laboring woman needs. That has kept me out of hospitals.

Personally - I would not have been allowed vaginal birth with two of my children. This despite the fact that they needed no intervention. I just had PROM. And I won't be induced for the world. (infant brain damage concerns) So that only leaves me with the knife. My midwife was there for the first PROM and she was willing to risk herself for us, as she had done for others, and that makes her a saint in my eyes. But there are always going to be limits on the variation of normal that midwives will be allowed to accept, and it takes the soul of a martyr to put the mother and child's interests first in those scenarios.

I don't need to be fighting my whole pregnancy and then fighting during birth to stick to my values and convictions about birth. And there's so much authority there, so many ways they can sabotage parental authority, down to misusing CPS to take custody for tests or drugs, even when parent's aren't simply refusing to cooperate, just asking for reasonable preliminaries to take place first. I know one woman (now deceased, as I recall) who's 9th child was taken away for a PKU test at over a month old because she refused to get the PKU test on her baby at birth (actually a UC homebirth) but the test was not done at an appropriate time to get a reasonable result. It has to be done within a short window of time after birth or it is useless. For this useless show of power she had to wait day after day fighting to get her breastfed infant back home. (yes she was in the news but I would have to go digging to find it.) The trauma she suffered... I wonder if it helped to shorten her life.

I only know of this one county in one state to be so draconian about PKU testing - but the point is the same. Doctors and the "law" often trample parents and their babies' rights in nonsensical ways, and generally (my personal observation with friends experiences) this happens when the child comes into the hospital during a birth.

Once you get a midwife involved with triplets, you have a scared midwife, a wise-woman frowned upon by nearly the entire midwifery community and the medical community. If anything goes wrong, anything at all, she gets crucified, new legislation is enacted and the whole community would suffer the loss of her skills and experience. I don't know if I could do that to her... I think almost just out of concern for the birth community I'd have a hard time asking for a midwife to assist with triplets.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page