Weird Question about PP Transfer for Mom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-20-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my first post in this section. Hii! I'm planning my first UC. Both previous pregnancies were homebirths with hands-off CPMs. This time around I am single. My question is kind of odd.... if something were to necessitate a transfer for myself (baby totally healthy), I would want to take the baby with me to the hospital to breastfeed, I think. Since I do not have a partner and the father will most likely not be present, my mother would accompany me and take care of the baby while I couldn't. Should I type up some sort of letter for her to keep with her that states she has full rights to make decisions for the baby if I am incapacitated? Something that also states the hospital may not touch the baby at all without my or her express permission? I am scared of even taking the baby to the hospital at all but if I had to be at the hospital for some emergency the baby would need to eat and my mom wouldn't leave me at the hospital alone anyway and she'd be the one caring for the baby so baby would have to come along. I would only go to the hospital for a serious emergency but want to be prepared since the father will not be around to make any decisions.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not a UCer, but I do work in a hospital :)

First, you should definitely have paperwork done that gives your mom permission to make medical decisions for the baby.  Otherwise, the hospital would probably try to find and contact the father.

Second-  The hospital can't touch the baby if it's not admitted as a patient and there's no emergency.  That being said, if there was an emergency and you needed to transfer but the baby was fine...you might want to go to the hospital without the baby and just have your mom bring it for feedings.  That's not ideal for anyone, obviously, but if mom comes in with a newborn who is a few minutes old and doesn't let the hospital check the baby out...I could see bad things happening as far as involving social work, etc. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page