Planning for a UC next month. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys, Im Brandi, 19 and have a 21 month old. I am due next month with a little boy, our second baby. smile.gif Since before we TTC'd our son, Ive been determined to have a home birth after an unnecessary induction that lead to many unnecessary interventions with my daughters birth. I was completely disrespected and disregarded (but was uninformed, and that was my fault) so had been researching home and natural birth since after my first was born. After becoming pregnant with my son I found out about unassisted birthing. I talked it out with my husband and he was immediately keen on the idea. Laying out the facts for him, and sharing my research, he and I got on the same level very quickly. So no issues there.

I am in Florida, and have heard its very easy to deal with getting the birth certificate and SS card in this state. Along with planning for a UC, I have also been UP'ing this time, as I found the appointments unnecessary last time. I bought my own blood pressure monitor, I have a scale, and was planning to decline all testing anyway, along with the fact that we were going to lose our insurance at some point in the pregnancy anyway, we decided UP was for us. I had a very healthy pregnancy last time. We had a dating ultrasound done, for a proof of pregnancy for the birth cert we will need eventually. And then 2 private scans, 1 at 14 weeks, and one at 27 weeks. Baby has looked perfect each time. My blood pressure has been great this whole pregnancy, and as of today (34w +1) I have gained about 24lbs. I havent had so much as a bladder infection or cold this pregnancy, its been problem free (minus on going morning sickness). I have gone back and forth deciding if we wanted a doula, then was thinking about hiring a midwife for the birth, but my god we just do not have the money to even be on a payment plan! I am mentally and physically prepared for a UC though. We have several "supplies", a little OB kit we ordered, with umbilical cord scissors, and lots of underpads, sterile gloves, towels, etc. I have oral vit. K that i will be supplementing myself with so he can get more through my breastmilk, ive got shepards purse in case i have a little heavy bleeding. Have read many books (although this often gets countered with "reading books doesnt make you a doctor"). The only "issue" I have is that I am obese, but this has not had any ill effect on the pregnancy. I am pretty active chasing and playing and caring for a toddler 24/7.

My husband and I feel very confident in UCing, its just that no one else IRL does. It makes things annoying, and definitely has made me second guess myself a couple times, but I am confident my body can do this without issue. And I really need that healing birth experience. I want it to be a very intimate moment. I am just tired of everyone bad mouthing it. I let them know Im going to do what I feel is right whether they approve or not, but in a perfect world they would be cheering us on, not putting us down.

Sorry for the novel just thought Id introduce myself.
#2 of 7 Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 PM

*HUGS*

The whole UC thing is a pretty "novel" idea to start out with.  :)  Editorialize away...  I'm on here to learn more in case I need to UC, but am planning on a MW at the birth (which is actually novel for my previous way of thinking, so, you know :)).  My last birth was pretty fast, and if I can't get to the phone in time I don't want to panic about "needing" someone specific to be there.  People have lots of opinions about that too (just the homebirth part!).  Is it just me or are women with grown kids and women with no kids the absolute worst critics?  The relatives with not children are nearly hysterically underinformed...

#3 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 09:26 AM

Wow, I'm so impressed that at only 19 years old, you are educated enough to even know that home birth is an option!! And even more Kudos to you for wanting to completely take control of your birth, and do it unassisted. So one thing I would really recommend, look up The Trust Birth Initiative, and read all the stuff you can that they have to offer. If you have a facebook, look up Carla Hartley - she is the founder of the AAMI college, and The Trust Birth Initiative. She is by far one of the most amazing women I know of. She offers the most amazing information on birth, and supports unassisted birth 100%. Through her you can find the other pages for Trust Birth, etc... She is always posting excellent information on birth. She's pretty renowned in the birth world, and holds conferences every year, around the world! Check her out, because you definitely won't regret. She offers tons of support, and if you private message her, she is super quick to respond!  :)

I also think that is so awesome that your husband was on board with you from the start! He sounds like an awesome guy  :) I hear so many times how women have to do lots of convincing before their men will even consider it an option.

As for me, I have never had an UC. My first birth was a home birth with a midwife. On the outside it would seem like a perfect birth...no meds, spontaneous rupture of the membranes, birthing in a pool, no tearing, etc... but my midwife was rather pushy sometimes, and it just left an overall bad taste in my mouth. My next birth will definitely be unassisted, and my husband totally agrees(whoohoo!). We are planning on getting pregnant as soon as possible(hey, maybe this month! :)). I plan on keeping this next pregnancy private for a bit, before I allow any of my family know. I just want to give myself time to adjust to any negativity, before I announce my plans for unassisted. I know they will want to know if I am going to use the same midwife, etc...so naturally I will be telling them we are doing unassisted, and needless to say, I know there will be some negative questions, etc...

I think the main thing is, shut them down as fast and politely as possible. Obviously life is not perfect, but any fear does not make things go any better, even if that fear belongs to someone else. And in my opinion, unassisted home birth is much more safe and perfect than the fear infested institution of a hospital.

So I hope this is a bit of encouragement for you, and congratulations on that beautiful baby coming next month!!  :)

Married to my favorite backwoodsman tiphat.gif since 2010, DS1 nut.gif in 5/11 and expecting #2 in 7/13...Crazy about homeschool.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF homebirth.jpg uc.jpg cd.gif hang.gif knit.gif sewmachine.gif

#4 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 10:59 AM

In addition to the prep you have done have you and your husband considered taking a neonatal resucitation class?

#5 of 7 Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I second the Carla Hartley recommendation!  I'm curious about what books you've read? I'm kind of a junkie for that sort of thing and I'm wondering if there is anything good that I've missed...

#6 of 7 Old 08-11-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetflapjack View Post

I'm curious about what books you've read? I'm kind of a junkie for that sort of thing and I'm wondering if there is anything good that I've missed...

Miilemons -  I'd also like to know any books you've read! I too am a birth junkie...One book a friend of mine is going to lend mr is Birthing the Easy Way by Sheila Stubbs - it's one Carla Hartley recommends.

Married to my favorite backwoodsman tiphat.gif since 2010, DS1 nut.gif in 5/11 and expecting #2 in 7/13...Crazy about homeschool.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF homebirth.jpg uc.jpg cd.gif hang.gif knit.gif sewmachine.gif

#7 of 7 Old 08-11-2012, 10:10 PM

neonatal resusitation sounds like a not bad idea in general, but I don't think I can fit it in.  I did take infant CPR a while ago, as part of a babysitting class.  I remember how to do it although it wouldn't work for a newborn probably, but like I said I want a midwife so that's kinda how I plan to cover it.  Will look into it anyway.  We plan to take a bradley birth class, starting this month, yay!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page