UC Survey - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The down side to you not asking for contact information is that you can't do followup research on reported complications.

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#32 of 49 Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I came back and took it again as in oct I had my 2cd UC smile.gif another perfect birth smile.gif

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#33 of 49 Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM

Double post

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

#34 of 49 Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM

Triple post smile.gif

#35 of 49 Old 12-29-2012, 03:01 PM

"I realized something a little while after I wrote my last comment, but I was unable to come back and edit it until now.  I remembered a very small handful of deaths mentioned between 2006 and now, no more than 4."

I hear what you are saying. We are not seeing a 10% death rate, but not a 0% death rate either. And like you said, a lot of the time it was due to a serious complication. Based on what you said it would be around 1% which is much like the 0.7% rate of hospital deaths. Good health is critical as well as awareness and preparedness.

I do hope that all potential UC moms understand that they are taking responsibility for their births. People will likely see them as somehow responsible for the deaths, even though doctors are seen as having "done all they could" (which might include doing things that worsened the outcome!)

And speaking of the footling loss, vaginal births with breeches can be safe. I myself just had a complete breech. a 3.5lb 36 weeker in water with no complications or trouble breastfeeding. I wish the survey included a question about what complications the moms avoided by avoiding the hospitals.

Babies die before during and after birth.

Those wish to manipulate surveys to bully women out of UC and homebirth should consider what women are using their God-given liberty to avoid -

Birthrape/medical abuse

hospitalization or extended hospitalization beyond necessary

genital mutilation

major abdominal surgery

humiliation

antibiotic resistant bacteria

flesh eating bacteria

faulty drug testing

meddling in the natural family bonding process

increased morbidity

premature cord clamping

excess pain

stress

PTSD

drugs

interruption of the natural birth process, which is a psychological process of transformation for all involved

If people want to trample on womens' ability to choose what birth setting they choose or scare them off because of the responsibility involved, they should consider what women would lose. Less birth options mean more control for the medical teams involved in hospital births, so it affects women everywhere when women are frightened away from UC and homebirth. Do we want birth to serve hospitals or mothers and children?

A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#36 of 49 Old 03-04-2013, 02:43 AM

I think that a better way to do the research would be like the roll call that was done before, have women sign up for the study during their pregnancies, follow with their contact information and speak with them over the phone about their actual experience. This would give you a much better way to get information because you would see the actual number of fetal deaths instead of just the number of the women who are willing to post about it. You would also see actual maternal deaths as, sadly, a mother who has died is unable to hear about or fill out a survey. It would also limit incomplete surveys because the person taking down the information can ask for clarification.

For something like this, a general UC survey roll call could go out where women could contact an email address, fill out a questionnaire and then get a followup phone call from the surveyor. It's not perfect, but it would limit a lot of the variables that could go wrong in this type of a study.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#37 of 49 Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Done - x3!  I specified no children present at my births, 'though there were children IN THE HOUSE at the last two, because they were not in the room.

#38 of 49 Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 PM

Does anyone know what the neonatal mortality rate is in the US, overall?  (I've tried to find it, but my computer is being slow and not cooperating.)

#39 of 49 Old 03-09-2013, 12:37 PM

6.81 per 1000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_mortality_rate

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#40 of 49 Old 03-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post

6.81 per 1000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_mortality_rate

Thanks!  Just thought it would be good to have numbers to compare.  We don't necessarily have to expect a certain type of birth decision to have BETTER outcomes than everything else ('though that's certainly preferable if possible!), but we do want it to at least not be WORSE.

#41 of 49 Old 03-10-2013, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Infant mortality is not really the statistic that you're going for, because it tends to be more of a measure of pediatric care than of prenatal/birth care.  Infant mortality is usually measured as deaths from birth to age one year of age.  Neonatal mortality is death from birth to 28 days of age, so that tends to be a bit more informative for this situation.  Even better is perinatal mortality because it includes late stillbirths plus the birth-28 days group.  The numbers can be hard to track down and compare, because different countries tend to report things differently and some allow exemptions that others do not.  I don't have any numbers to share, but if someone does then I'd love to see them.

#42 of 49 Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 AM

The perinatal mortality rate also is not great to go by because it covers ALL pregnancies including high-risk pregnancies and deaths not attributed to childbirth such as birth defects and severe health problems.

#43 of 49 Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 AM

You have to have *something* concrete to use as a measure, though.

And I agree that those numbers sound awfully high to me.  I've been on and off of UC boards for over 10 years now, as I had my first UC ten years ago, and the only baby death I remember hearing about was later found to have been made up for attention.  Which is, again, not to say that babies don't die.  (All of life is risky and, unfortunately, some babies do die - in AND out of the hospital)  But these rates seem higher than corresponds with anything I've ever heard.  Are these associated with how close to term the babies were, in the results?

(And, no, I'm not oblivious.  Although they weren't UC's, I do personally know two people whose babies died during homebirths or homebirth transfers. One may have been preventable; the other was definitely just a "freak" occurrence.  [Baby's cord broke.  Never heard of that, before or since.])

#44 of 49 Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 AM

I also agree that in the twelve years I have been researching UC (this is my LIFE), I have rarely ever heard of deaths. There have been a handful, but that's out of over a thousand women. There were five that passed away because of congenital heart defects which could have happened in the hospital as well. I think all of those babies passed in the hours after the birth, not right at the birth. I heard of one woman whose baby died during the birth of asphyxiation, but that was a freak occurrence and I think the doctors couldn't figure out how it happened so they ruled it a cord accident during a prolonged pushing phase.

Did the mothers whose babies passed provide stories as to what happened?

#45 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I took the survey, my UC was over 13 years ago!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#46 of 49 Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
In my over 13 years involvement in the UC community, and as a mother of five, four of which were UC, I have only personally been aquatinted with two women whose babies died. The first one the mother commited suicide while pregnant, and the second instead baby was a stillborn, born right at about forty weeks. The second one was kicking that morning, but was no longer alive at birth. He was of normal weight and had no visible defects. Admittedly it totally freaked me out as I was pregnant at the same time, due around the same time and rather close to this mom.
Certainly I would say that education is paramount if you choose to UC, and absolutely recognizing that you are accepting absolute full responsibility for your birth. Personally, I can't imagine allowing anyone else to be responsible for my birth.
My two cents.
HB 5/93, UC 2/00, UC 8/02, UC 4/07, UC 2/11, and #6 due end of '13!!

him-- ds 3/91, me -- ds 5/93
us - dd 2/00, ds 8/02, ds 5/07, dd 2/11 & cautiously expecting baby girl 8/14
#47 of 49 Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

I took the survey, my UC was over 13 years ago!
Were you on cbirth back then? I had my first UC just a bit over 13 years ago 2/00, and could not have done it without the support I got from cbirth. Just curious if we've ever crossed paths. I'm rain.

him-- ds 3/91, me -- ds 5/93
us - dd 2/00, ds 8/02, ds 5/07, dd 2/11 & cautiously expecting baby girl 8/14
#48 of 49 Old 11-22-2013, 04:55 AM

I was just curious if you ever finished this project & if I missed the posted results?

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#49 of 49 Old 11-22-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I extended the date to try to get more data & save up for the paid account, which has advanced tools for analysis. The survey is still ongoing with 481 responses. I haven't checked lately to see how many of those have no questions answered.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page