UC Survey - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please take this anonymous survey about UC if you have ever planned or had a UC. It's an attempt to get decent safety stats, among other things. Ideally there will be over 1000 responses. Good & bad outcomes, transports, etc.

I really, really hope to get a lot of replies.

http://www.eSurveysPro.com/Survey.aspx?id=bbc98d9e-af20-44b4-b231-674394860c9f

If you belong to any other UC forums, please share it there.

Thank you

ETA If you have trouble with that link http://77.68.57.3/Survey.aspx?id=bbc98d9e-af20-44b4-b231-674394860c9f also works

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Hello,

Is this a survey you are conducting yourself?  Is it for an academic research project or some other purpose? 

Thanks

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm doing it myself. I believe that UC'ers need better stats in order to make an informed decision and since real researchers aren't interested, I decided it was up to the UC community to generate our own info. And, since no one else seemed to be doing it currently, I decided to do it myself.

The more responses I get, with all kinds of outcomes, the more reliable the results will be.

The survey will be open until at least July 31, 2013 to try to allow time for word to spread and more people to respond

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 AM

Thats a great survey! I hope you get many replies, I would love to see the data.
The only confusing parts were:
Asking about the complication being due to UC- which complication, to me or to baby?
The list of what births you had- was this meant before the UC or all together?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for taking it & for the feedback. I've fixed the problems now. There should have been a separate questions for the complications for each of you.

I will be posting the data once I have enough surveys completed. At the moment I have 58 complete & 14 incomplete surveys. Not really enough to say anything yet.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Filled it out.  thumb.gif  I look forward to seeing the data once you get more replies!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 08-19-2012, 12:56 PM

happy to answer :) can't wait to see the stats.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 AM

Thank you for taking the initiative to do this.

What I had trouble with was that several of the questions were posed in a way that allows one to answer specifically for one birth. If a mother has several differing experiences, it doesn't seem to allow for that. Maybe the beginning of the survey made that clear and I just missed it.

hth

To the pure all things are pure... Titus 1:15-2:5
Old 08-20-2012, 01:09 PM

i've only had 1 UC birth (so far planing another in oct) so that glitch didn't bother me. smile.gif

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.mama View Post

Thank you for taking the initiative to do this.

What I had trouble with was that several of the questions were posed in a way that allows one to answer specifically for one birth. If a mother has several differing experiences, it doesn't seem to allow for that. Maybe the beginning of the survey made that clear and I just missed it.

hth

Yes, the introduction points out that you should take the survey once for each UC you have planned or had. So 3 surveys for 3 births, for example. It allows for more accurate data, since someone could transfer for one, and then stay home for another.

So far there are 76 complete surveys & a couple of the incompletes are only missing demographics.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to complete it. For some reason I'm getting a lot of incomplete surveys (26%) ; has anyone had trouble taking it?

Old 08-25-2012, 06:12 PM

I took it, with no issues.  Can't wait to see data.  :)

Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 AM

Submitted three surveys for three freebirths. It was clear and easy to take. I birthed all three times on my knees with my hands and arms on a chair or window bench for support, but there was no option for that, so I wrote it in each time. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing the results. Do you have this posted at other forums as well? Thank you for this survey! I enjoyed it! :)

Wild Woooman & Mummie to my 4 boys (9, 8, 7, 5) and baby girl (2). bellyhair.gifom.gif

Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 AM

Took it for my two UC's and have posted a link on uk babycentre private UC board, easy to take and sooo excited for the results :D

Old 08-30-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Some preliminary data from the survey.

After removing 6 responses who said they had neither planned not had a UC, as well as over a dozen responses where only the first question was answered, there were 128 surveys, 103 complete and 25 incomplete. On examination, many of the incompletes were actually complete or only missing demographic info. Some of these surveys were taken once and meant to cover several births instead of being filled out individually for each birth

Of these 128 surveys 90.63% planned or had a UC and 9.37% had an unplanned UC.

7.97% had a UC because of hospital restrictions, 5.58% because of midwifery restrictions & 3.98% because of too few midwives

Of those who had children present, 92% would have them at a future birth

13.16% of mothers had complications, mostly tears or bruising, 2 had bleeding requiring transport and 1 had severe cervical damage

5.5% of babies had complications. This is the hard part, out of 110 respondents for this section, there were 3 baby deaths. There were also 3 babies who needed resuscitation.

I'm hoping the high rate of deaths is because women who lost their baby are more motivated to let people know but there's no way of determining that without a much higher response rate

Old 09-16-2012, 10:08 AM

just some feedback -  

the language complications "as a result of" confused me.  The first time i tried completing the survey (on my phone - the second to last page wouldn't load correctly and i had to start over on a computer) I put in my "complications" (tearing, etc).  When i went to complete the survey on the computer I paused at the wording and put no complications because i believed my complications would have occurred regardless of whether or not the birth was assisted or not.  It might be worth clarifying that in the question.

I would also have liked the answers expanded for those who received prenatal care - ob vs midwife, and then whether or not the provider knew or was supportive of the UC plans.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:25 AM

I filled out 2 surveys. I had a planned UC that I had to switch to a hospital birth at the end because of moving to a stricter country at the time and I had an actual UC state side. Is there a way to see the results yet?

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 09-23-2012, 05:38 PM

I took 3 surveys for 3 UC births. How are the survey stats looking now?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

The survey is up to 175 complete responses & 44 "incomplete". Some of those incompletes are either actually done or just missing demographic info. Some have 1 or zero questions answered. I've been deleting those as I find them, probably at least 30 have been deleted already.  I'd really like to have at least 500 completed.

There have been several more deaths reported, some under mother's complications and some under baby, so I'll have to go through individually to see if any were listed under both, but the number of deaths just from counting mentions is 12. 50% believe their complication listed under the mother's section was due to birthing unassisted, 80% believe their complication listed under the baby's section was due to birthing unassisted. Again, I'll have to go through the surveys individually to get more details on how many deaths or cases of permanent injury are believed by the respondent to be a result of birthing unassisted.

anarqkiki I'm having trouble finding your incomplete survey to delete it.  Were your answers the same on both surveys, other than the complications section?

At this point, I can't add or change questions

Old 09-24-2012, 07:13 AM

I did not fill out bc have not had or planned UC. I see a flaw with your recruitment methods though, as you will not catch moms who had a bad experience and as a result no longer hang out on UC boards. So your stats will be skewed towards good experiences. nak.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:25 AM

I'd say the percentage doesn't sound so great. The other issue I see with recruitment though is that there are a few people that come on this board just because they don't like UC and would like to cause problems or go make fun of it on rant boards. I've seen a rant board before and it was sad.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 09-24-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

I'd say the percentage doesn't sound so great. The other issue I see with recruitment though is that there are a few people that come on this board just because they don't like UC and would like to cause problems or go make fun of it on rant boards. I've seen a rant board before and it was sad.

yeahthat.gif There are definitely quite a few people who are vehemently against UC.  They know they can't say much on this forum because it's for the purpose of supporting those who choose to give birth unassisted, but sometimes they try.  I'm sure even more lurk, foaming at the mouth, wishing they could "stop all this nonsense once and for all".  What better opportunity than an anonymous survey?? They can pretend that they had a UC, say that they're baby died and claim that this was because it was unassisted.  I don't buy it.  It's simply too easy for someone to lie, especially given how many people are passionately against it.  I don't think there is a way to get statistics that we know, beyond a doubt, are 100% true and accurate.  Here's another UC survey that was done, again, I don't know how accurate it is, but it shows that it's not necessarily all doom and gloom: http://www.unhinderedliving.com/stats.html

Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

I'm aware there are people who are vehemently against UC. I know there's a chance they could skew the results but I'm hoping *most* of them would prefer to have accurate stats because they believe that will give them ammunition and they'll be so bad, they won't need to mess with the results.

This isn't the only place I've posted the survey, most of the others are less open, and I know of several people who've shared it with friends IRL who had a UC.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:05 PM

I understand why you hope for that, if these people truly believe UC is dangerous then they won't feel the need to skew the results.  Unfortunately, I know how people are, especially on the internet where there's so much anonymity and people being aholes that I wouldn't put it past them to want to tamper with the results.  It's not even a matter of them believing that UC statistics will speak for itself to show how dangerous it is, it's simply a matter of people wanting to nip things in the bud, so to speak.  Why wait to see if the stats will be what they imagine they will be when it's so easy to have some fun and ensure the results?  I guess we'll never know, that's the problem with these types of surveys.  That's good that people have shared it with others who've had a UC, that certainly helps with its credibility.  And I'm not saying that complications and deaths don't occur in a UC, but from the results you've gotten so far, you've either gotten a bad batch, so to speak, or there's some tainting going on.  Maybe a bit of both.  It makes me scratch my head, though, considering the large number of UCs I've read about that turned out beautifully.  Or even those that weren't a successful UC, still turned out good for the mother and baby.  Also, the survey I linked to above shows that out of the 264 who responded, none of the babies died nor did any of them need to be transferred to the hospital.  The fact that there have been 12 deaths out of 175 reported in your survey with 80% the culprit being the birth was unassisted, definitely seems fishy to me.  That is way out of the norm compared to the survey I mentioned plus all the wonderful stories I've read.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 PM

I had similar thoughts Linnaea and appreciate coming back to see someone has already given voice to them. You make an excellent point in comparing the surveys.

It would be great if it could be verified that all of those participating truly had family or solo births unattended by professionals.

To the pure all things are pure... Titus 1:15-2:5
Old 09-26-2012, 07:44 PM

I agree, I'm very skeptical about the high number of bad births as well. I've met a lot of women online who've had UC births and despite knowing one who had a SIDS baby die within the first month (a very rare event itself, not related to place of birth, so I must have run into plenty of variations to have met her) still I have not met a mother who has actually lost her baby to UC birth itself yet. I even met one mom who had twins UC, with one being a stillborn, passing more than a month before birth. (again, obviously one of those rare events not related to place of birth)

I really have to wonder where all these bad births are coming from and why the moms aren't talking more in forums and on the blogosphere or even in the news if they are real. I mean, if they can take the time to fill out a survey... it really begs the question. If they actually are reading here on a UC board, nothing prevents them from talking to other UC moms on forums they were frequenting before and why wouldn't they?

I can't imagine them having a bad birth and not coming back to tell their friends. There are lots of boards filled with UC moms who will start threads, not only during pregnancy but also during labor and shortly after the birth with announcements and they have friends they talk to over the phone on these boards who personally know them and everything. Pictures, everything. Yet despite these hundreds of active participants, time and again they either come back and say they transferred or had their baby UC at home as planned. I'm not seeing them coming back in tears, or their spouses and children who often post for them postpartum, crying about a birth loss. Sometimes they come back crying they wish they hadn't transferred or wish they had used a midwife so they wouldn't have been so quick to panic and use the hospital but I've not seen a friend on the various boards reporting an actual death.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedJess View Post

Yet despite these hundreds of active participants, time and again they either come back and say they transferred or had their baby UC at home as planned. I'm not seeing them coming back in tears, or their spouses and children who often post for them postpartum, crying about a birth loss. Sometimes they come back crying they wish they hadn't transferred or wish they had used a midwife so they wouldn't have been so quick to panic and use the hospital but I've not seen a friend on the various boards reporting an actual death.

yeahthat.gif I agree with everything you said, blessedjess, but I thought I'd highlight these last few sentences because they really hit at the core of the matter, imo.  The worst case scenario in hundreds of these UCs has been transferring to a hospital, usually due to exhaustion and/or fear.  This is a new account for me, but I've been around since 2006 on this UC board.  I have yet to see any mother come back and say that her baby died.  And, like Jess said, they almost always come back to let us know what happened (or someone they trust comes back and lets us know).  I would have noticed if there had been a death, either of the mother or the baby, since that's obviously going to stand out.  So the results of the survey really are fishy and I wish that if some or all of these deaths really did happen, these women would actually speak up about them.  

Old 09-27-2012, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Somehow my entire post vanished, so this will be a lot shorter/less detailed.

There have been deaths and some of the mothers have come back and posted about them. Some of those threads have been deleted.

I found this post http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1088000/uc-and-death-sensitive-topic#post_13808509 and this one

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/251972/my-baby-died-at-my-uc of UC deaths.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that women who have a baby die are less likely to post about it, but might be a lot more willing to take an anonymous survey.

Way back in 2008, a poster worked out the stats for this board based on  births posted in the roll call http://www.mothering.com/community/t/980529/our-uc-stats

These are now available in the Wiki

http://www.mothering.com/community/a/u-c-roll-call

Feel free to go add your own info to it. I would love if everyone who has births on the roll call took my survey, it would mean a lot more responses for better stats, since there were over 400 births.

I haven't seen any evidence of anyone trying to affect the stats in an obvious way, but I don't want to give anyone ideas.

For the record, of the ones with details,  2 of the 3 are quite probable & result in deaths in hospital. The other I need to read the whole survey instead of just the comment.

And, just to clarify, I didn't say that 80% of the deaths/injury were thought by the respondent to be caused by UC, but 80% of the baby complications. Some of those are minor or could have been major but ended up fine.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM

I realized something a little while after I wrote my last comment, but I was unable to come back and edit it until now.  I remembered a very small handful of deaths mentioned between 2006 and now, no more than 4.  For some reason I didn't recall them until after I left my comment.  If I recall correctly, the reasons for the deaths had mostly to do with not noticing signs of distress that should have resulted in a hospital transfer.   After reading Devaskyla's latest comment, my memory seems to have coincided with what she has found in the forum.  I don't know if I read the threads that were deleted or not, but I do know there's been 3 or 4 active threads in which a baby died during a UC.  Thank you for also pointing this out, Devaskyla.  I knew that it was a small number, which is probably why I didn't remember them until after I commented.  It looks like the UC stats thread in 2008 coincides with what I remember as well.  These figures don't match what's being seen in this latest survey, not even close.  4 vs. 12 is a big difference, especially because this survey is only looking at 175 births, not the 485 births that the 2008 stats included.  I'm still wondering why the large number, if that is real and not tampered with whatsoever then why aren't we hearing about it?  It might be because, overall, women who UC don't feel very comfortable sharing about themselves due to the societal stigma, ESPECIALLY if their baby happened to die during the UC.  Also, women who UC are often private people as it is, so they probably don't feel comfortable sharing anything private on a forum.  This would explain why they're only comfortable sharing it anonymously in a survey.  I'm trying to give the survey the benefit of the doubt, but there's still the real possibility that the results have been tampered with which is a shame. I tend to lean more towards the stats in the 2008 thread as being the most legit since they were taken from birth stories and roll call, not surveys.  It's easy to take 2 minutes to complete an anonymous survey, it's not as simple and easy to write a birth story or be an active member of a forum.  

Old 09-28-2012, 08:07 PM

I remember reading one UC birth/death story here, about a footling breech.  It was posted very early in the morning by someone who had been regular poster since before her pregnancy (years?).  For some reason, it was deleted within a few hours.    The poster posted a few times again a few months later but never mentioned her loss again.  

It's possible that some people with losses are uncomfortable posting the stories here, either because they're afraid the anti-UC lurkers will  use their story as an object lesson -- or because they're afraid to tell the story to UC supporters who truly believe that bad things only happen in UC if mom doesn't have enough positive thoughts.  I've seen birth stories be dissected for all the things Mom could have and should have done differently; if a story ends in tragedy, it may be that Mom doesn't want to open herself up to that.

Someone who has been posting about planning a UC and has a bad outcome is very much stuck between a rock and a hard place as far as revealing that fact here.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

Old 12-27-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

bumping for those who've had their babies

User Tag List