How to get baby to breathe????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey, its me again.  One of my main fears about UC is how to make sure baby breathes after birth.  I plan on leaving the cord attached till its white.  But how can I help baby breathe on his own if he's having trouble/taking a long time?????  Please Help!!!  I need to set my mind at ease about this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 PM

This is one of my fears as well, I hope someone will have some good insight on this. It seems like it is very common that it takes the baby a minute to come around but I'm not sure if it actually is. I have read that rubbing the baby and talking to them helps to stimulate them to take a breath. I haven't had an uc yet but I would like to take a neonatal resuscitation course prior to or during my next pregnancy so I will feel more prepared in that event.  I suppose it would be good for my husband to know what to do as well in case I'm not able to do it. Hopefully someone else will have some good input on this.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 AM

My last baby took a few minutes to get going. I had a midwife, so she was there to do all the different things to help him breathe. Some things she did was have me hold him face down to help the mucous drain, we rubbed his back somewhat vigorously (she rubbed from his butt towards his head). At one point I gave him a couple breaths; just be very gentle because blowing too hard can collapse a newborn's lungs. We also suctioned him, he was my first baby who needed it. Another thing she did after he was breathing, but still pretty mottled was what she called the 'accordion'. She held the back of his neck and his butt and sort of curled him up. Here are a couple pics of that to show it better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/josie4/accordion1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/josie4/accordion.jpg

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Those are some good ideas, keep them coming!  josie423, so with the baby in the accordion position, she curls him up and then straightens him out, and repeats that a couple times?

Old 09-10-2012, 01:57 PM

purpledragonfly, I think that method is also illustrated in this book...not 100%, but think I've seen it there. http://books.google.com/books/about/Emergency_Childbirth.html?id=F3X7IYnG9BIC

Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 PM

[Admin note:  Edited for profanity]

Old 09-11-2012, 06:25 AM

Take a Neonatal Resuscitation course. It's more complicated to evaluate whether a non-breathing newborn needs PPV (positive-pressure ventilation) or chest compressions than you are likely to be able to learn about in an internet forum. Infant CPR is absolutely NOT the same thing as neonatal resuscitation, btw.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 PM

purpledragonfly, yes, that is basically how she did it. thumb.gif

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeoflife3 View Post

holy shit.

yeahthat.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenswisdom View Post

Take a Neonatal Resuscitation course. It's more complicated to evaluate whether a non-breathing newborn needs PPV (positive-pressure ventilation) or chest compressions than you are likely to be able to learn about in an internet forum. Infant CPR is absolutely NOT the same thing as neonatal resuscitation, btw.

Seconding that infant CPR is not the same. Not even close. The indications of whether or not to give breaths or do compressions aren't even the same.

If you are going to UC no matter what, educate your self properly. Don't ask such important questions on a random internet forum. Take a course.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

So I live in a small city, phoned the college, red cross, hospital, everyone I could think of, no one offers neonatal resuscitation courses.  Does anyone know of a good video that teaches this???  I know its not as good as taking a course, but its better than nothing!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:16 PM

would you really honestly trust someone with your baby who has only watched a video on what could be a lifesaving procedure?  Don't you think some actual education and experience would be safer?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

But where to get the education is the question......

Old 09-13-2012, 07:14 PM

If you have a hospital or hospitals that have an L&D department, their staff are all required to be certified in NRP. Why not ask them where to take a class?

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:18 AM

Just did a google search and there appears to be a couple of reliable groups that do provide distance or online educational courses thumb.gif

Old 10-22-2012, 04:49 PM

I highly recommend Karen Strange's Neonatal Resuscitation course. She is amazing and teaches a very baby friendly resuscitation. She travels all over. Go to her website, newbornbreath for dates. I

Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 AM

most babies don't need help breathing, or at least not having already given a sign that there was distress but a good rub especially on the feet generally will do it or  who was it... dr sears or maybe it was ina may who suggested that forcing a startle reflex is a fantastic way. hold baby well and 'drop' them suddenly a few times to make them startle. that should do it.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

User Tag List