Every other UC group I've tried to post on seems to have very few active members and no one willing to respond to me and I'm running short on time to wait around for people to see my posts.
I know I'm not exactly typical of the UC community at large, but I really need to talk to someone who might have some understanding of my situation and willingness to at least give me their thoughts. I am 37 years old and 37-ish weeks pregnant with baby #8. My history includes one unmedicated hospital birth, followed by 3 augmented/induced hospital births with epidurals, a midwife assisted homebirth with hospital transfer due to pph and 2 more augmented/induced hospital births with a UC loss at 12 weeks in between. I don't want to wind up augmented or induced again because I will inevitably go for the epidural to cope with the intensity of the contractions. I don't really want to go to the hospital again, but my DH was unsupportive of my homebirth and the pph cemented his opinion that it was never the way to go. I'm hoping for some last minute help on herbal support for the end of pregnancy and ways to possibly get DH on my side in trying for a UC - so far the only dreams I've had of this birth involve me having the baby at home while DH is not here and I could probably handle that, but I'm not really sure the kids would be ok with it.
Why I want a UC:
- I know my body can do natural birth and I know I recover better/faster that way, but the hospital thing is not conducive to natural
- I hate being messed with/kept from eating/drinking/sleeping
- I don't want to have to argue over my stance on newborn procedures/vax
- As much as I know about what's best for me and for baby, I am not good at standing against authority anyway and even less so while in labor and I know DH will just sign whatever they tell him to sign and do whatever they tell him is best
My main concerns:
- Another pph (risk factors: previous pph, history of large babies, # of previous births, red-headed genes and possibly my age <eyeroll>)
- A minor bleeding episode (light bleeding for 3-4 days after doing some major yard work for a week) at 18-22 weeks that could have been my only indication of something like previa (I've had bleeding for a large part of 2 other pregnancies and one of those was the homebirth with pph)
Other pertinent information:
- Birth weights of my babies in order: 7lbs 8oz, 8lbs 5oz, 9lbs 11oz, 8lbs 12oz, 10lbs, 9lbs 14oz, 9lbs 10oz
- Gestational lengths of my pregnancies in order: 39w 3d, 40w 4d, 41w 3d, 41w 4d, 41w 5d, 41w, 12w, 41w 1d and I am at 37w 3d now, thinking baby will be interested in finding out what's going on in the outside world around Halloween
- Have been drinking a quart of RRL/day for almost a week and bought Christopher's 6 week formula, but have been reluctant to use it in case it's more an induction-type formula than just a good support to an older, stretched out uterus (the web contradicts itself on which herbs are doing which jobs and I do not want to mess with anything that might put me at risk for pph or pushing baby to come before 40w)
I apologize for the length of the post, but I wanted to give as much information as I can to get the right kind of help.
Thanks for reading,
You're right down to the wire! It's a shame your DH is not helping...I'll do my best...
I'd say a focused approach to fortifying you & babe is to flood your body with earth minerals (I like Red Desert Clay) & oxygen. Any trace mineral sources and concentrated oxygenation measures like deep breathing , Homezon or other blood oxygenators like http://www.amazon.com/Healthforce-Oxygen-Supreme-Liquid-4-Ounce/dp/B000EZ5RJK/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1348686700&sr=8-15&keywords=oxygen will go a long way in allowing your body to correct issues. Get your body up to saturation levels gradually. These two elements along with sunlight & admiration from others could (I believe) strengthen you a great deal. Do lots of veggie juices Beets too!
Shoot more later...
Thank you for your reply! I'm going to have to go back to the herb shop this weekend to see if I can find any of the things you mentioned would be helpful. I need to get a good herb and mineral reference book so I can look for other things according to what we need to work on around here and know enough before I go in which things would be better put together.
While I'm on here, I wonder if anyone might know where I could find some good UC after many hospital birth stories. I was trying to find Layla McCracken's website months ago and all the links to the birth stories from there come up missing. I wish I could find someone with printed copies of some of her awesome info.
If I can just chime in here too, partridge berry, which can be made as a tea, is also a uterine tonic that is a bit stronger than RRL that can help with pph. It was recommended to me as a pph preventative by the midwife I had for my first birth after a pph.
I have heard that oral contact with the placenta is very helpful along with an unmanaged third stage. True excessive blood loss is an arguable subject even among birth pros. The details of your birth experience and what may have been done to you are key. I had a hospital birth with a highly managed third stage and there was a major freak out regarding blood loss. I did not receive a transfusion. I had an uncomplicated UC with my second birth and a commonly unassisted miscarriage last year. I am surprised by the amounts of bleeding i am hearing about from others who have had miscarriages, as well as having seen the blood loss i saw a csection friend go through in the hospital that was treated with absolute normalcy. I saw the nurse change a completely soaked chux pad and no visible attitude of concern about it what so ever. I have read many UC stories of much more blood loss including having passed out. Blood loss is manageable and varies widely do to the individual and their own particular circumstances. I have heard stories of moms who have hemorrhaged after leaving the hospital due to retained material.
I UC because I believe it protects me from bleeding and in my experience with un managed births, I don't bleed much at all and stop bleeding much more quickly than others who have been managed or have stress and fear related to it. I think medical procedures, drugs that interrupt the physiological process, as well as fear and emotional upset, have a great deal to do with it. Your husband does not know anything other than fear and has no idea what it is like to have a body that is designed to bleed and regulate that process of bleeding.
mom to boy 14, boy 5, 11 week loss, Expecting a surprise in December!
I want to thank you all for your replies and ask your forgiveness for my lack of them. I had one computer issue after another and just got solid computer access again today.
I have been doing the RRL with partridge berry and another couple of general support herb teas each evening. I have done more reading and stalked quite a few homebirthing blogs for birth stories. I did watch The Business of Being Born, but don't think it would really help with DH - the last birth in the movie would be enough to convince him in the opposite direction. As it stands, baby is hanging in, but I've had some intestinal issues today after a few days of very little sleep so if tonight's the night I'm going to have a hard time and DH will likely see his opportunity to push me to the hospital. I wish I could call the midwife I used before, but he'd never be ok with that since he blamed her for the problems with my 5th. I don't really know what will happen, but I will try to come back and update.
Thank you all so much,
|9 members and 8,537 guests|
|BarefootBrooke , IsaFrench , jamesmorrow , Janeen0225 , katelove , RollerCoasterMama , scaramouche131 , worthy|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|