"how to" refuse cervical checks during prenatals - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I know most of you, if not all, are not seeing an OB, but I am and he is all up in my business this pregnancy. Anyway...

How is the best way to politely (or not so politely) decline any cervical checks at your prenatal visits? I am not sure when he will start doing them but, like I said, if there is a test or some prodding he can do, he wants to do it. Cuss.gif

I'm working on what to do with him besides avoid and skip as many prenatal appts as possible, and play dumb.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just didn't get undressed and said "No thanks".  If/when the nurse asks you to disrobe, ask why, and decide for yourself if you want to.

edited to add:  Do NOT get into a discussion about why you don't want to with either the nurse or dr.  Just smile and say "No thanks".

#3 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 PM

I went to an OB's office at the start of the pregnancy and every time they said, OK, time to take off your pants.  I'd say, "no thank you."  The nurse would splutter a little (at first, then she got used to me) and tell me they had to see xyz.  I asked her if it was legally mandatory for them to do so, and she always admitted no, but "we'd have to do it at the next visit."  I would just smile and nod noncommitally and then at the next visit the same thing would happen.  I told them I didn't want to get them in trouble if they had a legal reason to do it.  (Such as the drug testing and syphilis and AIDS and whatever else bloodwork they needed.)  But since I was pretty darned sure the law wasn't going to crack down on their office if I didn't spread my legs... well, I didn't.  If they tried to say yes, I would then have asked to sign a waiver.  If they still kept it up... I probably would have presented WHY I didn't want one (so they didn't think I was just a prude or scared or something) and if they still didn't respect my wishes not to get any testing done, then I would have quit their services.  That's all.  But... it never even came close to escalating to that point.

#4 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelko View Post

I just didn't get undressed and said "No thanks".  If/when the nurse asks you to disrobe, ask why, and decide for yourself if you want to.

edited to add:  Do NOT get into a discussion about why you don't want to with either the nurse or dr.  Just smile and say "No thanks".

Yep, that was my thing too.  If they REALLY would have pressed the issue I would have gone on with the other points from my post above, but I wouldn't start off explaining myself.  No ty should do it.

#5 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Good points. It's hard to get to me cervix with my pants on.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page