What are some ways you boost your iron levels - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-21-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I read a while back that it is really important to keep your blood iron level high especially at the end of pregnancy.  Apparently being iron deficient can cause hemorrhage after the birth, and when the momma takes special care to get enough iron, often she has no hemorrhaging, and very little postpartum bleeding.  I am currently slightly iron deficient.  I am taking chlorophyll with water, green fruit smoothies, 2 cups red raspberry leaf tea and 1 cup nettle tea/day, chelated iron tablets, and prenatal vitamins to boost it to where it should be.  What are some things you other UC mommas do to ensure adequate iron in your blood?

#2 of 4 Old 11-22-2012, 11:00 PM

I'm not a UC mama, but I saw your thread on the 'unanswered' list, and I am dealing with low iron myself right now. I'm sure you are probably boosting up your iron-rich foods, but another tip I recently found out was to take your iron with something with vit. C in it, not something with calcium. Vit C helps the body take the iron, calcium makes it harder. For example, if you are having some red meat, squirt a little lime on it. Another good combo for this is meat spaghetti sauce.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#3 of 4 Old 11-23-2012, 02:27 AM

Not a UC but I eat meals cooking out of cast iron.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#4 of 4 Old 11-23-2012, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I use Floradix tablets toward the end because my iron does get a bit low, I tested 10.5 one month and 12 the next on hemoglobin so it worked. Greens, meats, and blackstrap molasses are good ways I know of to get iron in food.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page