Hot tub birth outside- advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This will be my 7th birth (2 natural hospital, 2 great homebirths w/ midwife, 1 perfect UC! and 1 eleven week miscarriage UC)

So, we had a huge 80 gal whirlpool bath tub for our perfect UC, but we have now moved across country and planning our next UC now.

I really want a water birth again! Loved it! 

So, here's my options.

1. buy a birth pool--I'm a not sold on the idea due to clean up afterwards. My husband is very supportive of UC, but gets queasy at cleaning up blood, etc... So, that leaves work for me after I birth which I don't want. He's willing to help, but the gagging gets to me. He has a really sensitive stomach.

2. Hot Tub (outside)---We live in small time and neighbors are not really close to us, so i 'm not too concerned about the lack of privacy. I'd love to birth outside in the summer under the stars, but I can't find any info on birthing in a hot tub. Like obvious I wouldn't use chemicals to keep the water clean. Seems like I've heard peroxide/salts can keep water clean for up to two days? I need more info about birthing in a hot tub before I make that decision.  Also, we would be taking a chance on it not be ready in time. I have gone over my edd 10-14 days with every pregnancy and my last baby was born at 44 weeks. So, I have a huge window to prepare for. 

The hot tub is really my 1st choice. Easy clean up (drain, refill and let the chemicals and filter do the rest).

So, does anyone have any advice/thoughts/info/links about birthing in a hot tub outside? Any thoughts are very much appreciated!

Jesus-loving, helpmate to Billy and Unschooling mama to a five!
#2 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

All I can offer is that you would have to be able to control the temp of the water. I forget what the standard is for temp but I know it shouldn't get too high.

Other than that, congrats on going 44 weeks without losing your mind, and I think birthing outdoors sounds wonderful. I am kind of hoping for a really warm May + going a little late so that I might be able to birth outside too!

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#3 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post

All I can offer is that you would have to be able to control the temp of the water. I forget what the standard is for temp but I know it shouldn't get too high.

Other than that, congrats on going 44 weeks without losing your mind, and I think birthing outdoors sounds wonderful. I am kind of hoping for a really warm May + going a little late so that I might be able to birth outside too!

Thanks bailey for your advice. Our hot tub has temperature controls, so we can set the temp at whatever we want. I would probably set it between 95- 101 degrees which is what birth tub rentals recommend. I dont like getting in to the water until almost transition, so i wouldn't be concerned about prolonged temps. 

I did do some more research today and found that most birth tub rentals clean their tubs with bromine and recommend using GSE, grapefruit Seed Extract liquid, available at any whole foods store to keep the water clean. It has been found very effective in maintaining tub water for up to 2 weeks. You will add 20 drops every day or as often as needed. You cannot hurt the tub or yourself by adding too much, as it is a natural bactericide.  So, I thought I would share my findings on here for others who are interested.

#4 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM

My first concern would also be the temperature & my second not nearly so serious thought (just my personal comfort) would be the bugs. Are you screened in? I wouldn't do it at my house as we have livestock & the flies get thick in the summer, not to mention the mosquitoes. It is a little thing but it would distract me to no end.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#5 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

We live 7000 ft above sea level ...there are no bugs here.  Where we use to live in Ga it would have been horrible. Thanks for the thought. 

#6 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 06:30 AM

The other thing I thought about is temperature outside but I don't know when you are due or where you live. Obviously you wouldn't want babe to be cold coming out of the water.

P.S. wave.gifhi other unschooling momma!

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#7 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post

The other thing I thought about is temperature outside but I don't know when you are due or where you live. Obviously you wouldn't want babe to be cold coming out of the water.

P.S. wave.gifhi other unschooling momma!

I'm due in June, so should be perfect weather. So, what are you thinking about for your outside birth? 

PS-hi to you too

#8 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 PM

Should be fine, you've got a summer birth and a temperature controlled tub of water. The only thing people ahve against hottubs normally is midwives who can reach their hand into your vag in the depth of the hottub. LOL.

I wish I had a hottub, I would do the same thing.....except I'm in Arizona so it would be like 105 degrees without the water! (due in July)

:D

Actually I was thinking about a pool birth outside, you know, inflatable kind (if you cover the pool for like one day out here it will be bathwater temp the next day).

Thanks for the GSE idea! I never would have thought of that and it's good to know all-around.

Congrats!

#9 of 11 Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 AM

Re: what I was thinking about for an outside pool. I guess I really haven't figured it out, I just was thinking it would be nice to be outside if possible. We did get a big inflatable this last summer...

#10 of 11 Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 PM

the more we talk about it the more I want to get an inflatable and do it outside lol!

#11 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My best friend had her 2nd baby in her in-laws hot tub outside on easter morning near sunrise under an orange blossom tree, picturesque, eh? ;-) (late March in Phoenix, AZ, probably perfect temps!)
I don't know if they prepped the hot tub in anyway, but I thought you gals would get a kick out of her setting.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page