Unassisted Birth in Tucson, AZ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey guys! I am new to this forum but have been reading for forever! I am currently seeing midwives here at our birth center but I cannot birth with them at the birth center. I can only birth with them at the hospital and would be subjected to the hospital rules. My first 2 children were c-sections that were not necessary and have every type of intervention you can even think of. My 3rd was a VBA2C at a hospital here. I wish I could say it was everything to me, but it was also highly interventive. Ever since, my husband and I have KNOWN we will be having a home birth. No home birth midwife will attend my birth here as it is illegal. I've been doing research into Unassisted birth for the past 18 months and I know it is for me. I still have some fears but I am so happy to have this place for support.

Is anyone else here from Tucson? I would love to know I am not alone here! haha

#2 of 20 Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 PM

Hey! I'm April, I'm from Phoenix.

Question: Why is it illegal there to have a midwife at your homebirth? Because of the VBA2C?

Your last came out fine right?

Anyways, awesome choice on the UC! I can't handle midwifes, most around here are more interventive than my hospital OBGYN  with my sons birth (honestly she was awesome, the nurses at the hospital are the assholes with interference), or they just seem psycho and charge $10,000 lol. I wanted a UC that time but I was 19 and didn't know that you were allowed to have babies at home without a midwife.

We're having #2 in July, hopefully moving to Kingman around May.

#3 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hey! Yes! It is all because of my previous c-sections. I have NO idea what the costs of midwives even are. I contacted one and she said "nope not allowed". The midwives I see at the birth center also told me I cant give birth at the birth center. It's ridiculous. I am so sick of them taking choices away from women. I am 100% happy with my UC choice and feel at peace with it. There is no fear, so I am excited! I am due June 17th! So cool to have another AZ mama on here!

#4 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Also, I hear you with the interventive nurses! Mine with my last BROKE my water without asking me and then told me she did! I'm like UH wth?! My last birth she came out wonderfully but I had a resident. The head honcho doc came in and said "This is taking too long, push her out now or get a c-section" and basically my OB had no choice but to let her. I LOVED my OB and she wanted my birth to be on my terms. That asshole changed it and cut me and used a vacuum on me and made me push with no contraction all because I had been pushing too long. Not even an hour and the only reason it was taking that long was because she was sunny side up, not positioned right and I was only getting contractions every 10 minutes. I never want to go back to the hospital.

#5 of 20 Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 PM

SO SCARY!!!! I can't even imagine that!

My water was broken too, they were just like "ok we're breaking the water, SPLASH"

Of course your contractions were slow, you were stressed out of your mind from those crazy people! Your baby was like "fuck this!" lol.

When I was sitting at the desk getting signed in I felt like I was signing all my rights as a human being away, like on Girl Interrupted when she signs herself into the looney bin without understanding whats going on.

Then they cut my cord and stole my placenta!

Glad you get to UC. I wish I had with my first, but I was young and naive, fooled by "normal" into thinking there were only two ways to have a baby. midwife or doctor. Lol.

I'm so happy and excited for this pregnancy. Even though I'm really tired of being sick all the time. With my DS I was never sick, now I'm never not sick!

#6 of 20 Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Gads! It's stories like these that remind me again and again why I'm choosing to UP/UC! 

I'm in AZ too!! Prescott :) We might all have to get together sometime!

I'm just in my 1st cycle trying to conceive with a new special someone (who is super stoked to be a dad and who is totally supportive of UP/UC. I'm so blessed), but I've been reading, posting, lurking on MDC for years. 

There are some midwives who will illegally support a VBAC, but you kinda have to know someone who know's someone to get "in". 

So excited to be back here again!

Chelsie

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#7 of 20 Old 12-10-2012, 11:25 PM

Nice to meet you Chelsie! I hope you get that baby conceived sooner than later!

We got lucky and conceived our first TTC cycle! Hope yours is just as fast!

#8 of 20 Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Thanks Queenrilly!!

One of my friends on FB is a midwife and she posted an article this morn that today is the most fertile day of the year lol So I'm super stoked that we get to try today anyway hehe

queenrilly likes this.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#9 of 20 Old 01-09-2013, 02:46 AM

I am near Phoenix, AZ. I had my second non-"professional" attended birth Feb'12. I went through most of the birth process alone this past time (the way I wanted it to be), until my husband came while baby was coming out to catch her (he enjoys doing this part :-).  She was my fifth child.  

#10 of 20 Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 PM

Hi SurpriseAZ! We've got quite the growing lil AZ UC community goin on here! I love it!!

#11 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 PM

Hello! I'm Jenny from Cochise, AZ. I'm 7 weeks pregnant with our second and I'm praying about going unassisted with this one. I never had such horrible times at the hospital like some of you because I had a midwife with the first at home but thought I should introduce myself anyways to let you know there's even more in AZ! :)

Wife to the sweetest husband and mommy to 2 precious little lambs DS Micah David 12/11 and DS Uriah Benjamin 09/13.
#12 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 PM

Hi Jenny!! wave.gif

#13 of 20 Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone here have experience with getting the birth registered? I contacted Pima County Vital Statistics office through email and they told me to call so they could ask me some questions before mailing the packet out. Why? What do they need to ask? I so dont want to call lol but I want to get this stuff in my hands sooner rather than later. I dont want a hassle!

#14 of 20 Old 06-23-2013, 09:25 PM

not sure if this is still active but im also at the birth center in tucson. Its been a good experience so far however my husband and i are wrestling with the required gbs antibiotics if i test positive. I have two other children both horrendous hospital births wont go again unless it is life or death and I have had a say in that determination! Was curious to know @ theconners5 how your UC planning is going we might end up doing it ourselves but we are an hour from tmc. We live literally a stones throw from the local hospital but its pretty useless for childbirth anything...
#15 of 20 Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 AM

Wow, this is like the "Arizona club" here! I've never had an unassisted birth, but I was attracted to all the local people. smile.gif Just to throw an idea out there - there is new legislature in the making regarding scope of practice for licensed midwives. It isn't finalized, but there is a possibility DEM's may soon be allowed to attend VBAC's as long as the diagnosis was NOT "failure to progress with CPD" You may want to check with a midwife for more details, because I may not be understanding this correctly, and this is tentative anyway.

I see this is from several months ago though, so it may be too late. greensad.gif
#16 of 20 Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 AM

figueroajws-I've read here that many homebirth mamas bypass the abx for an herbal wash if they test positive for gbs. Perhaps you could propose that to your birth center as an alternative. Good Luck!!

UC is always an option too of course if they're steadfast in their rules, which they may be...

#17 of 20 Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hey all, I'm a student/apprentice birthkeeper and child birth educator in Sedona, expecting our first in February and going to have my amazing mentor and friend there for support - she has also had a UC.  She is an amazing resource, and we do online and in person consults, classes and workshops through Indie Birth (indiebirth.com).  So especially for you AZ UC folks, let us know if you ever need anything :)

#18 of 20 Old 07-18-2013, 09:57 PM

I'm really wanting to do a uc....but I'm scared about hearing that cps would get involved....and because i tend to deliver early
#19 of 20 Old 07-21-2013, 11:41 AM

ctja- You just have to be cautious about who you tell...if neighbors are a concern and if they ask about your birth plans many ladies have fibbed a little that they have a midwife (meaning "they" are the midwife or perhaps a best girl friend who maybe has had a home birth or 2 under her belt-that's my plan...my bff has had 4 successful babes at home & helped another good friend w/a couple of her births).  As far as delivering early only you can decide how early you feel comfortable at home. I've heard many mamas here say 36 weeks is their cut-off...

Hope that helps...how far along are you?

#20 of 20 Old 07-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottchels View Post

ctja- You just have to be cautious about who you tell...if neighbors are a concern and if they ask about your birth plans many ladies have fibbed a little that they have a midwife (meaning "they" are the midwife or perhaps a best girl friend who maybe has had a home birth or 2 under her belt-that's my plan...my bff has had 4 successful babes at home & helped another good friend w/a couple of her births).  As far as delivering early only you can decide how early you feel comfortable at home. I've heard many mamas here say 36 weeks is their cut-off...
Hope that helps...how far along are you?

We haven't told anyone about our UC plans....we just tel everyone were going to drive 2+ hours to the hospital that allows vbacs.....we are going to be 32 weeks on Thursday...and I'm feeling confident that i can at least make it to 36 weeks... i am already 3 cm and 50% but since i put myself on bed rest i stopped having Braxton Hicks....do my confidence is building in my body

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page