Doing own prenatals until 36 weeks. What questions will I get from the OB? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-14-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Without getting into why I am not UCing but still doing my own prenatals, what kinds of drilling will I get from my doctor when I make my first prenatal appt at 36/37 weeks? This particular OB knows I am pregnant but I have not been seeing her and she is our family doctor and delivered our first child. I think she possibly knows I have not been seeing anyone at the clinic, but I am not sure. I am hoping that since she knows me/us she will take my prenatal records, that I have been doing here at home more seriously, than someone I don't know.

Is this a mistake? Would it be less messy if I were to just show up in labor at the hospital?

I am not not UCing because of any health concerns (me or baby). I also have no health problems in general and have no history of STD's etc. The only "thing' I have had is testing + for GBS in my first pregnancy (which I know means basically nothing).

TIA! Sorry if this seems weird or really random. I appreciate all advice and opinions!

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went in that late w/ our last baby because it turned out that my midwife would be out of town for training so she wouldn't be able to attend our birth. I didn't tell the clinic that as midwifery has a bad enough rap in our state (& the midwife had given us notice before then, that was just how long it took me to get to the clinic). We had been living in an RV so care was spotty & they were very understanding about that but I did have to talk to a social worker after the birth as the only people who come in for care that late (as a general rule) are people on drugs.

If your OB knows I am sure they'll take your records. But I would hand them in before rather that at the onset of labor. They'll likely just be glad to get a hold of any records & would appreciate a perusal before the event rather than trying to scan them over when they've got you & maybe 10 other laboring women to watch over. You also mightn't be in the clearest frame of mind to answer questions.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#3 of 13 Old 12-15-2012, 08:41 AM

What do you mean when you say your are "doing your own pre-natals?"  I am not a HCP and wouldn't have known what to test and look for or how to rule out something like gestational diabetes.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#4 of 13 Old 12-15-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have a digital blood pressure cuff, FHR doppler with screen that displays the heart rate, I measure my fundal height, and weigh myself. I also have urine test strips but have not used them much. I am following a lot of info from Heart and Hands midwifery guide.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#5 of 13 Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGucks View Post

What do you mean when you say your are "doing your own pre-natals?"  I am not a HCP and wouldn't have known what to test and look for or how to rule out something like gestational diabetes.

I do my own prenatals (even if a care provider is doing them as well), and I cover vitals, urinalysis, measurements, weight, BGL's, FHR, cervix checks later on, etc.  I find that my own monitoring is generally much more thorough and accurate since I already know my body so I can gauge changes better, and I tend to do weekly "prenatals" as opposed to once a month or less.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#6 of 13 Old 12-16-2012, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the responses.  I didn't know!  Good luck with the pregnancy!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#7 of 13 Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You will probably be labeled high-risk for coming in late to care. 

babycatcher12 likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#8 of 13 Old 12-24-2012, 02:01 AM

How do you feel about not telling the truth? Usually, I am totally against lying, but when it comes to protecting my baby, I can be a pretty big, fat liar.

My big lie is that I'm seeing a midwife. If any doctor questions me, I pull the midwife card. "Well, I WAS seeing a midwife, but we decided to fire her and see an OB instead." That's what I would do. I'd never lie to my doctor in any way that might put myself or baby in jeopardy or in any way concerning health, but if it's simply a matter of the doctor possibly making my life a living hell during my pregnancy/birth because of personal reservations, I will totally lie without shame. I said I had had a midwife do my prenatal care when I went to the hospital to have my tear checked on day 3 of healing. (But maybe that technically wasn't a lie since I did do my own prenatal care but offered myself as a guinea pig to a midwife-training class to practice on non-interventively during my pregnancy.)

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#9 of 13 Old 12-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

One big thing they will want is to catch up on blood tests, STI tests, GD test, Hemoglobin levels, GBS swab. They may kinda railroad you about those things if you try to decline any. Procedures might dictate they report something as if you were being neglectful, and do drug testing also. If your records look professional and they do know you it might not be so bad.

applejuice likes this.
#10 of 13 Old 12-24-2012, 01:59 PM

If I was using the OB care at all, I would try to do it "by the book" and start early with them or make it look like it was somehow otherwise by the book/ aka midwife prenatals. Just to avoid harassment and labeling.

But I've never used an OB, so there's that limitation in my opinion. Personally, I've either gone with a midwife or done the whole thing "solo." My first two were midwife attended births, the third was prenatal and postnatal help only and the remaining 3 have been completely a family event.

applejuice likes this.
#11 of 13 Old 12-25-2012, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

"My big lie is that I'm seeing a midwife. If any doctor questions me, I pull the midwife card. "Well, I WAS seeing a midwife, but we decided to fire her and see an OB instead.""

Midwives do keep records, you know. If you tell that to the OB, one of two things will happen: 1) They will ask for the records from your midwife or 2) They will think there aren't records and you will lower their opinion of midwives.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#12 of 13 Old 12-25-2012, 05:10 PM

Honestly, I would go in now and get your STI/bloodwork done just to have that out of the way. Then, explain to her why you aren't coming back until right before baby is born and it should be fine. Let her know you'll monitor your weight, blood sugar, BP, diet, HR, FHR, etc from home. They arent going to do a GBS test until around that time anyway, so that shouldnt be an issue. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#13 of 13 Old 12-25-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

"My big lie is that I'm seeing a midwife. If any doctor questions me, I pull the midwife card. "Well, I WAS seeing a midwife, but we decided to fire her and see an OB instead.""

Midwives do keep records, you know. If you tell that to the OB, one of two things will happen: 1) They will ask for the records from your midwife or 2) They will think there aren't records and you will lower their opinion of midwives.

I keep records, so I would give him/her my own records. Also, midwives here don't practice legally, so it's usual for them to hear that the midwife's name is being withheld.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page