Hello, I may be doing a UC- where can i find some more information on it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello redface.gif

I may be considering a UC. I just wanted to get more information on what to do if something happens like a stuck baby or if i cant push the placenta out, cord cutting, Apgar scores, how to weigh & measure the baby etc. If i need a monitor to record hear beats and where to buy one cheap.

My midwife that helped me deliver my 3rd which was a water birth was very nice and kind but she really didnt do much to really help other then record her stuff on paper after he was born. After he came out, i held him and tried nursing him but he was sleepy. I tried pushing the Placenta out while i was holding him and nothing happened. I didnt have any contractions. So i decided to get out of the water and walk to my Bedroom and lay down with the baby while she looked and i tried pushing. Nothing...

So then i let my husband hold the baby while i tried sitting on the toilet but nothing. I ended up falling asleep lmao on the toilet for like less then 5 mins but it felt like a eternity. I went back to my bed, my husband left the room with the baby and she told me i had to push while she pulled it out. I have no idea if thats common or not. But it finally did come out with her help. This was back in 2010.

Now just the last few days i been watching Unassisted and assisted births on youtube plus reading forums and websites. Talking about how the placenta will come out when its times not forced? And if needed nipple stimulation and breastfeeding should contract and make the Placenta come out. Im a little worried i may have the same issue if i dont have a Midwife present. I didnt like the fact she would give my husband looks across the room when i wasnt looking. My husband told me it was because he was on the kitchen table playing computer games. I didnt need him for any support or even hers. There wasnt anyone could do about my contractions lol. She also didnt really emotionally support me, i mean she was knitting and dozing off. All she said was i dont need a c-section, i can do this. I did tear and she glued it back together. She wasnt much help with Breast feeding. it was my first time my 3rd child. I didnt nurse my first two.

My son had Latching problems for months. He wouldnt latch right, i also had flat nipples and i could never get him to latch right. I was bleeding all the time, cracked, peeled sore mastitis breasts/nipples. I got it like 3 times, went to the ER twice. They looked like they where about to fall off and hit the floor. So i really dont know if i want a midwife around me. Maybe a Doula? can they stitch and help with a placenta and all the midwife stuff just not EVERYTHING? I am not currently pregnant like i have said before here on Mothering. I am looking for more information to soak everything up.

I had a hard time just finding my old midwife that i dont want that to happen when and if i get pregnant again. Any other information is appreciated for myself and for my husband. thanks!

Natalie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I may be considering a UC. I just wanted to get more information on what to do if something happens like a stuck baby or if i cant push the placenta out, cord cutting, Apgar scores, how to weigh & measure the baby etc. If i need a monitor to record hear beats and where to buy one cheap.

A good midwifery text sounds in order for you. A nice, approachable one I have a copy of is "Heart and Hands".

Here is a good site for supplies http://www.midwifesupplies.com/MW.html and another http://inhishands.com/

This site has a lot of info, some of it radical so take it along with other sources only, but is one source online for some "what to do" info http://www.unhinderedliving.com/childbirth.html

Quote:
 Maybe a Doula? can they stitch and help with a placenta and all the midwife stuff just not EVERYTHING?

No they can't stitch you, they are for labor support, not anything medical. Some might attend a UC but others will not for liability reasons, but all they can give is physical and emotional support.

If you do hire a midwife next time I'd suggest you find someone very hands off who allows you to feel like you're in charge and responsible. Mine for my 2nd baby was great that way, really acted as a servant and friend you know? That allowed me to own my birth and go through it unhindered by any feeling of being under authority, which is a huge part of the benefit of UC. Research what needs to happen in different situations though, if you know you have a part in the responsibility you'd best be up to it. But if you do have a mw I should hope she actually knows how to take action should these things come up!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are Hands off Midwifes different then Midwifes a patient hires for the full 9 months plus postpartum? I dont have money to pay a midwife that is why i considered a UC. If i want a hands off one cant i just ask one thats near to stitch me up if it comes to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post

A good midwifery text sounds in order for you. A nice, approachable one I have a copy of is "Heart and Hands".

Here is a good site for supplies http://www.midwifesupplies.com/MW.html and another http://inhishands.com/

This site has a lot of info, some of it radical so take it along with other sources only, but is one source online for some "what to do" info http://www.unhinderedliving.com/childbirth.html

No they can't stitch you, they are for labor support, not anything medical. Some might attend a UC but others will not for liability reasons, but all they can give is physical and emotional support.

If you do hire a midwife next time I'd suggest you find someone very hands off who allows you to feel like you're in charge and responsible. Mine for my 2nd baby was great that way, really acted as a servant and friend you know? That allowed me to own my birth and go through it unhindered by any feeling of being under authority, which is a huge part of the benefit of UC. Research what needs to happen in different situations though, if you know you have a part in the responsibility you'd best be up to it. But if you do have a mw I should hope she actually knows how to take action should these things come up!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I think it's unlikely that you'll be able to get care from a midwife who hasn't been seeing you, though if she knew you and was supportive of UC (uncommon) sure you could call her just for that. Tears in birth bad enough to need stitches are not so typical when you choose your position and speed of pushing. A lot of midwives will just leave a superficial tear and advise you not to walk much or climb any stairs til it heals. Many prefer to encourage natural healing instead of add more holes by sewing through skin. Also bad tears into the muscle actually take a surgeon to suture, so require transfer anyway. Superglue or something like nuSkin liquid bandages can be good to help when it doesn't quite need stitches.

User Tag List