Palpating Twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-20-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone UC with Twins?  We have a midwife, but I want to UC so am continuing my own "prenatals."  I need some help trying to figure out if it's twins or not.

I think I might have felt two baby's last night.  I felt a long smooth firm section on my right.  Definitely a head at the bottom center.  Then a foot (hard, angular)? on top of where the bum would be, and another long firm section down my left side.  I was able to find two heartbeats with the fetoscope, but I cant find any info on Echoes, so it may or not have been echoes.  The bigger one on my right, I heard the Heartbeat loud and clear down low.  The other one, I pressed down pretty hard a little below my belly button and aimed it towards the left, hearing a tick tick tick (vs the thump thump thump).  DH was half asleep, but thought it sounded different, and definitely thought it felt like two babies.

What do you make of this?  We only have one fetoscope.  I'm going to see tonight if we can hear the louder one with a stethoscope.

Last time I described what I felt to the midwife she thought it sounded like Frank Breech.  Two round hard spots up top, one round hard spot down low on the right.  This felt way different, and I'm positive there was a head down low.

selectivevax.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gif & Part-Time EC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How many weeks are you?

Have you measured fundal height?

I wouldn't put too much stock into the two heartbeats if you used one fetoscope. The baby's heart rate can change really quickly.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#3 of 15 Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

How many weeks are you?

Have you measured fundal height?

I wouldn't put too much stock into the two heartbeats if you used one fetoscope. The baby's heart rate can change really quickly.

I'm 24.5 weeks currently (25 on wednesday).  At my 17 week appt. the midwife said she suspected twins (measured 20cm, but my fundus was above my bellybutton).  At the 23 week appointment she measured only 24cm, but DH and I had measured alteast 28 that morning.  Her explanation was that everyone measures differently.  She said I do have a little extra fluid, which is common in twins, but that she could only feel one baby and only find one heartbeat (right where it was kicking me - which she didn't have an explanation for).

I wouldn't have started measuring until 24 weeks, except she did at 17, so I started keeping track then:

17wks - 20cm

18wks - 22cm

19wks - 24cm

20wks - 25cm

22wks - 28cm

23wks - 29cm

today - almost 30cm

When it was just a possibility that there MIGHT be twins, I was ok with it... but after what I felt last night, I started thinking about how expensive shoes are... and then birthdays being both in the same month... we're already in the doghouse with my sister as both she and her husband have birthdays right around mother's day....  That's a lot of expenses all at once.  We only want three children, and I got thinking about how I'd never be pregnant again, and never get a UC, if it's twins.  I really think I'd prefer to just have one baby at a time.  

I UP'd with DD, and it was super easy to tell her positioning.  I also measured 2cm ahead with her the entire time, so I may just measure "large" when I take my measurements.  I just dont understand this one's positioning at all... nothing makes sense to me!

THANKS!

#4 of 15 Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 PM

I actually really like this video on palpation:

#5 of 15 Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I watched it.... that's how I knew  I was feeling a head down low and not a butt... 

I have kicking everywhere, which really confuses me...

Any ideas?  I could only feel one baby last night and today.....  Lots of movements, and head up now....

Thanks!

#6 of 15 Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM

Maybe it's because baby is posterior?

#7 of 15 Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

could have been... it's back to head down after I did my exercises...

DH gets home at 8pm, hopefully he remembered his stethoscope ( I looked it up and we might be able to hear HB with it, it sounds like...).  Plan is to find both with the fetoscope, and use the stethoscope on the louder one and listen with the fetoscope on the second one.  Hopefully I'll be able to feel the same thing again.....  I'm only feeling the one right now though... hard/firm on the left, head down, soft on the right.

#8 of 15 Old 01-22-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Any ideas on what I was feeling the other night?  Maybe just a partial braxton hicks?  :)  The more I think about the logistics, the more I want it to be ONE baby!

#9 of 15 Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 AM

I don't understand. Why would you want to know that there's two and complicate everything by going for intervention? I had to face that same issue the last time I was pregnant and opted against raising my risk profile. (with my husband's blessing) Not that it's a crime to eliminate all doubt, but as soon as you know they start with the treatment... treatments that could you could get away with avoiding if you keep on going as you are...

Just make sure to get plenty of rest and don't force yourself to work more than a couple hours at a time, eat a lot of good nutritious food, etc. Nothing else you can do would really improve the outcome, it would just be more mainstream. More approved of.

But if you feel in your gut that it's best to intervene with twins, then go for it. I wouldn't assume to know what YOU personally really need. Sometimes a person can feel instinctively that they need help.

I am just glad I left the twin issue alone despite two distinct heartbeats halfway through. I got one tiny healthy baby despite being breech. The other one must have vanished late. But too early to do anything for him. With medical people we never would have been together at home in his early days. He grew just fine anyhow. He's as smart and cute as anything!

#10 of 15 Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you... gives me something to think about.  I guess my main reason is that I would UC a singleton, but I'm unsure if I would twins.  Two babies is a lot for just DH and I to handle I think.  If something was up with the first, and needed help, I'd be on my own (not literally, but he'd be busy) to birth the second, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

ETA:  I wouldn't allow any intereventions just because it's twins....  If it's not twins, and it's polyhyrdranmios, I would want to take precautions to prevent cord prolaps so we dont end up at the hospital.

#11 of 15 Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapzipzee View Post

Thank you... gives me something to think about.  I guess my main reason is that I would UC a singleton, but I'm unsure if I would twins.  Two babies is a lot for just DH and I to handle I think.  If something was up with the first, and needed help, I'd be on my own (not literally, but he'd be busy) to birth the second, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

ETA:  I wouldn't allow any intereventions just because it's twins....  If it's not twins, and it's polyhyrdranmios, I would want to take precautions to prevent cord prolaps so we dont end up at the hospital.

You do need to feel confident about your choices. I don't know if it will work the same for you, but for me it took reading UC twin stories, buying Anne Frye's midwifery text books and a whole separate illustrated midwifery book about breech births before I was ready to handle the idea. I knew it was the right choice for me ahead of time though, somehow. I also had 3 other free births'-worth of experience.

I think the same about polyhydramnios. It is not always pathological. But you need to be an expert in yourself before you decide which choice is right for you. In other words, make a choice with confidence and information. We need peace to birth properly.

#12 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 04:37 AM

Zapzipzeee- Did you end up finding out if it was twins??

#13 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Zapzipzeee- Did you end up finding out if it was twins??

As of now, the midwife can only feel one baby.  She doesn't search for a second heartbeat... but I can occassionally find two heartbeats, unfortunately, we only have one fetoscope and cant tell if they're differen't babies or not...  By 37 weeks, if it is two, they should be easily felt, but she did say that she has had one mom who she had no idea there were twins until the first baby was born, and her tummy didn't change size at all....

I've stayed at 30ish cm for the past 5 weeks.... so am thinking no on the twins...

#14 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 05:10 PM

I have heard sometimes it can be an echo or the placenta and not a second heartbeat, so maybe it is that you are hearing. Hope it works out the way you want either way :) 

#15 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I have heard sometimes it can be an echo or the placenta and not a second heartbeat, so maybe it is that you are hearing. Hope it works out the way you want either way :) 

It's definitely NOT the placenta... that sounds really wooshy...  My guess is that it's coming from the chest instead of the back.  I want ONE baby in there!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page