question about unassisted birth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been researching and researching and researching, and I can't find an answer.

I would like to do an unassisted home birth with #2, but I can't find info on what to do with the umbilical cord after the placenta is delivered.

All I can find online is to call 911, or go to the hospital.
I'd like to avoid those options.

So, besides a lotus birth, what else can be done with the umbilical cord after the placenta is out?

I'm not against lotus birth, I just want to explore all of my options before deciding
#2 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 AM

This story has this lady's experience with unassisted cord cutting.  I hope it helps you out.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#3 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 PM

Im a first time mom planning on UC and im buying an umbilical cord ring to clamp on after ds cord stops pulsing you can then either cut or burn the cord depending on preference supplies can be bought online easily im going thru 'preciousarrows.com' I wanted to lotus birth but i want to dehydrate and capsulate the placenta for PPD which has to be done fresh. Hope the information helps.
#4 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks to you both for the info!
#5 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM

For our UC's, we wait until the cord stops pulsating.  When it's clearly done we clamp it with clamps we either ordered in our birth kit or DH brought home in an OB kit, and we cut it.  

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#6 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 PM

My husband waited until cord stopped pulsating then tied off with hemp cord soaked in alcohol. Cleaned every diaper change with tea tree oil and it was off and healed in a week
#7 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 PM

You don't need anything special. Wait until the cord is limp and white like a spaghetti noodle and no longer pulsing and purple. You don't need special things to cut or tie it with. I like to use gauze from the first aid kit because it's very strong. I cut it lengthwise so I have 1/2 of a five-inch-long strip or so. Use regular kitchen scissors, just run them through the dishwasher first. If they are already clean, you can just wipe them with some rubbing alcohol. You don't need special scissors. I don't like to use the plastic clamps for the umbilical cord because they are huge and bulky and it can't be comfy for baby to have that against his new, soft little tummy, so I love the gauze. You do not need to tie it with anything at all. It just helps to keep tiny bits of blood from leaking out onto baby's clothes after cutting. Cut it as long as you want, but at least one inch from the navel. My daughter's was about 1.5 inches long. I cut my son's about 6 inches long. You can also burn it with a candle to cut it by holding it over the flame. Keep it several inches from baby and you don't need to tie it first if you burn it.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page