The Role of Intuition in Childbirth - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 41 Old 02-07-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
BlessedJess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
And honey, you may NEED a miracle, but God doesn't hand out miracles just because we need them, they are not ordered for us, to meet OUR needs, but by God, to suit His. I'm a practical person, and I don't expect God to always feel that my needs and His are related.

 

Meepy, don't feel obligated to respond since you do not think religion relates to this topic, but - do you remember these words you typed to me when I was halfway through the pregnancy?  I don't blame you for abandoning faith if this is what you believe. God gave us intuition, instinct and if we work with our bodies - control over our bodily functions to help us get through birth.

 

I needed an easy labor with a ready baby and God gave me just that. His needs and mine are one, just as Jesus promised. An easy safe delivery when we follow our nature honors the God who made us and provides for His heritage. That's my belief.

 

How fast we dilate and how easy our labors are partly if not entirely depends on those gifts. I had 20 minutes of active labor before he was all the way out. I felt my cervix open up extra to accommodate his head, which was bigger than his tummy and chest without resistance or hesitation while I pushed. Do you believe that the cervix obeys the mind and opens according the woman's acceptance of the birth process? I do, especially after what I witnessed myself.

BlessedJess is offline  
#32 of 41 Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 PM
 
MeepyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedJess View Post

I needed an easy labor with a ready baby and God gave me just that. His needs and mine are one, just as Jesus promised.

 

BlessedJess, this is actually not where I fall of the train of faith, but I still think you're talking about a process in which you got lucky.

 

You needed an easy labor with a ready baby, and you say God provided, because His needs and yours are one.

 

Did I not need an easy labor with a ready baby as much as you did?  Because I thought I needed that, but I got an obstetrical hemorrhage and a premature infant.  Do you think I had placenta previa because I just didn't accept Jesus into my heart?  Because I can go out into the wild and find you some women of sincere faith who had the same problem I did, which is that it turns out to be that there's nothing preventing the placenta from implanting over the cervix, it just usually doesn't happen to happen that way.

 

There are a lot of possible ways to interpret the evidence of your easy birth as contrasted with my crappy luck.  It does not seem to me to add up to a universal assurance that God will give you what you need, or what you want.  Sometimes this birth process genuinely does go badly, and I don't think that's because the women involved have insufficient faith or are otherwise doing something wrong. 

erigeron and writinglove like this.
MeepyCat is online now  
#33 of 41 Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
 
nstewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

 

While I am a deep believer in intuition/cosmic truth/and so on, I am also a believer that within the scope of what we are capable of knowing in this moment that "science" can be a fantastic aumentation to our inner knowing. (For me denying either is like throwing the baby out with the bath water) Intuition for many is recalling the patterns and systems we have known/learned in our life and for others it may also including calling on what they might identify as a source beyond themself (cosmic force.. so on.)

 

 

Science is only fact for the time in which is discovered, indeed there is much more we DON’T know than what we actually DO know. At one point it was believed having babies in a sterile environment with little human interaction was beneficial (and at the time backed by “evidence.”) Spirituality/intuition, “science” and “evidence” all have one vital thing in common; they all require someone to believe them to be true, through their own experience and/or research. Furthermore, I would argue that successful natural childbirth (or heck most births) requires spirituality/intuition to enter the experience.

 

 

When it comes down to it I believe in something greater than myself. But more so, I believe in myself because I am the primary source for my human experience. I don't as a matter of course seek validation outside myself though I will look to see if I can find resources to help me navigate places I am unsure of. These resouces might even be scientific data or spiritual guidance. That is what is right for me.

 

 

Additionally I believe intuition is vital in pregnancy and labor.

This.

 

For me, intuition is part of my daily life because it is part of trusting myself.  It isn't more important or less important in pregnancy and childbirth than at any other time.

 

I don't look only to my intuition for answers to everything, but I don't distrust it when it does give me an answer.

 

I read a saying recently "We don't know who discovered water, but it probably wasn't a fish".  When we are surrounded by something all the time it is very difficult to be aware of it, and I do believe that some greater force flowing through the universe is such a thing.  Some people are more able than others to tune into it, and some people simply chose to distrust it and not tune in.  Trusting your intuition is the same to me as trusting my instincts. I don't discount experience playing a role as Banana 731 says, certainly it does, but I can't discount something beyond this as well.

 

Oh, and prescottchels, living in the city and working 9-5 and birthing in a hospital doesn't mean you can't be an intuitive.  Speaking from personal experience. winky.gif

BlessedJess likes this.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

nstewart is offline  
#34 of 41 Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
BlessedJess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post


There are a lot of possible ways to interpret the evidence of your easy birth as contrasted with my crappy luck. 

 

I agree. I don't believe in luck, but I also don't see it as you doing something wrong. It's not wrong to have the experience you did. Job had experiences that were awfully trying and tragic.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
  It does not seem to me to add up to a universal assurance that God will give you what you need, or what you want.  Sometimes this birth process genuinely does go badly, and I don't think that's because the women involved have insufficient faith or are otherwise doing something wrong. 

 

As a believer there is something to be gained from whatever experience you get but I really believe the point of being a priest and a king is that you have the ability to influence outcomes in your life and partake in blessings. And there are ways to experience tragedy as a blessing but that also does not make my previous statement untrue.

 

It is both in my favor and God's for a healthy baby and I believed I was working with him towards that outcome.

 

Now if God said I was going to have a stillbirth but it would all work out according to his purpose, then I would work according to that. Or if God said I had to go to the hospital and it would be difficult I would still believe that experience would work out to my advantage and I would be carried through.

 

Generally the outcome will be good and for a good reason. And I really believe that deep down we will feel what is going on and be okay with it, especially if we believe and have faith in God. But you don't have to proffess faith in God to still have a similar experience. Matt 25 makes it clear that some who serve Him don't realize it at the time. They just do it from the heart. So there are probably multiple ways of looking at this same truth about ourselves. Religious or otherwise.

BlessedJess is offline  
#35 of 41 Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 PM
 
Banana731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: the wild Midwestern Woods...
Posts: 3,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedJess View Post



In my case I focused on productive attention to caring for my pregnancy. I avoided negative, useless distractions or worries, as I perceived them.

That I can get behind.

Of course, that varies widely, doesn't it? For many of us, that means passing on many routine prenatal tests and procedures. But for a mom who already has a child with, let's say a genetic disorder, stress might be alleviated by the testing and the answer it gives either way.
BlessedJess likes this.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Banana731 is offline  
#36 of 41 Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 AM
 
brightstarshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I believe God gives us the gift of intuition for good reason.

I love your story,thanks for sharing.

brightstarshine is offline  
#37 of 41 Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
 
Maisigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As a pregnant mom going for an HBAC with my second child, I do not tell a lot of people what I think or what I am going to do because of my beliefs/intuition and the perceived "dangers" involved. I just let the midwives and OB have their thing to say and then I decide what I will do.

I feel like this time I am heavily relying on intuition, whereas, with my first, she ended up as an "emergency" c-section. Actually, after speaking with my midwives this time, I feel like it was an unnecessary c-section. I'm not mad or grieving for my desired birth, but still, I'm so set on listening to my own body to know what to do that I feel I have had the healthiest pregnancy I could have had. I also know exactly what I am getting into. I have researched and researched and asked question after question, read books, talked to professionals and it has only solidified what my intuition has told me. Don't worry, I've heard lots of "the other side". I know my risks.

I've had two ultrasounds, bloodwork, regular checkups, and every time each professional is very happy with this pregnancy.  However, I absolutely am planning on staying at home and having the absolute fewest interventions (VE's and fetal monitoring included). I have decided each and every thing that has happened to or entered my body and I don't plan on letting the midwives just have their way just because it's "the standard". 

There is always more to life than what we can see. I have never paid much attention to my own intuition up until now, but I'm wondering why not. It's been a marvelous experience. I would recommend it to anyone. :)

BlessedJess likes this.
Maisigh is offline  
#38 of 41 Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 PM
 
A_Random_Phrase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

One of the things I find most frightening about the uc forum is the focus on intuition, the belief that you'll magically know what you need to know, that things will always be alright. It's especially alarming when mothers with symptoms of potential problems are told to trust intuition and not seek testing. If your intuition (assuming you have any) conflicts with evidence, surely you owe it yourself to check things out.

Your story is a case of someone getting very, very lucky. Your baby was very small, and could easily have had jaundice or breathing difficulties requiring a lot of assistance. I'm glad for you that everything turned out well, but I see it as a story of preterm labor and imminent placental failure in which, miraculously, it all turned out okay in the end. Those were big risks. I wouldn't recommend anyone else take them.

 

 

Did you not read the part of the op wherein she studied and learned about the things she was led to study?

 

 

 

To answer the op, I believe intuition is incredibly powerful - if we listen to it. I don't know why some people see the word or idea, "intuition," and automatically assume it means "no study". Intuition has a place. So does study and preparation. My intuition has saved my skin more times than "study" ever has (I'm talking regular life here, not pregnancy and birth).

 

It looks like this thread is going to go the same direction as the other one, so I'm not reading more. BlessedJess, I'm one of your true supporters. I think you are awesome! I think you did the right thing.

 

I really miss the old mothering of around 2007 (before it became uber-militant, which is when I left the first time). There were fewer attacks on ucing in the uc forum.

BlessedJess likes this.
A_Random_Phrase is offline  
#39 of 41 Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 PM
 
ariane77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
"and I think those that think intuition isn't good enough probably haven't spent time developing their intuition so don't trust it and don't understand how others could

Not to derail this conversation but this really stuck out to me - actually this whole thread has really grabbed my attention. I had an attempted homebirth which turned into a fiasco and c-section. All non emergency but not what I wanted. I felt intuition was quite absent from the whole process. Those of you that feel they can rely on their intuition, how do you think you developed it? How did you come to trust it.

(Fwiw I'm quite non-religious... But staunchly agnostic I suppose)
BlessedJess likes this.
ariane77 is offline  
#40 of 41 Old 02-15-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
 
BlessedJess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariane77 View Post


Not to derail this conversation but this really stuck out to me - actually this whole thread has really grabbed my attention. I had an attempted homebirth which turned into a fiasco and c-section. All non emergency but not what I wanted. I felt intuition was quite absent from the whole process. Those of you that feel they can rely on their intuition, how do you think you developed it? How did you come to trust it.

(Fwiw I'm quite non-religious... But staunchly agnostic I suppose)


When intuition is playing a role, you do want that c-section if that's what you need. You knew what you wanted in your case and it wasn't that surgery.

 

Some might call that your intuition. I don't believe intuition only tells a woman good news. But it's amazingly helpful.

 

I read a book for multiples last time I was pregnant after hearing two heartbeats. The OB who wrote that book put a lot of faith in intuition and she ran a special mulitples clinic with incredibly better statistics than the average hospital, bigger, healthier later babies on average. It's goofy sounding to say you only "feel something is off," but sometimes that's all the warning you get that preterm labor is threatening, for example. I had just such feelings last time and was delighted to make it to 36 weeks based on that nebulous feeling and suspicion.

BlessedJess is offline  
#41 of 41 Old 02-17-2013, 01:26 PM
 
erigeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I believe listening to one's intuition is important in life, but sense/logic/tradition/evidence are also important. I wouldn't put all my eggs in the intuition basket. 

Alenushka likes this.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
erigeron is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off