Tincture Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
zapzipzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have Shepherd's Purse Tincture that wasn't used/opened for DD's birth.  Printed expiration date is 2014, but I was reading it is only good for one year.  Do I need to get some fresh?

 

I have Angelica from the same birth also... unopened, it's ok?

 

Any other Tinctures I should get?  I had terrible debilitating low back/hip pain with contractions that felt like my back went out.  All contractions were equally awful until I had an epidural 10 hrs later.  Tummy tightened up, but wasn't painful, only back/hips.  I was completely fine between contractions.  I was dilated to a 6 when we got to the hospital, so at least they were doing something.  Positions/counter pressure did nothing.  Anything I can take if that happens again?

 

Thanks!


selectivevax.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gif & Part-Time EC
zapzipzee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2013, 03:45 PM
 
JamieCatheryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SW Pa
Posts: 5,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I wouldn't trust the Shepherd's Purse as much to stop a hemorrhage after over a year, even if it hadn't gone bad or completely lost it's potency. Maybe calcium and magnesium could help you some. I'd try a rebozo (cloth wrap to help squeeze your hips) and/or TENS unit for that kind of back/hip pain, maybe a chiropractic adjustment or series of them in late pregnancy too.

JamieCatheryn is online now  
Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 PM
 
BlessedJess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mental conditioning would slow bleeding, according to research I've been doing. I was reading a testimonial from a dentist who used that method quite well.

 

I don't know why but I could have bled a lot more last time, compared to every other birth I've had. It took me 3 hours to get rid of the placenta without intervention and I could feel it peeling off slowly as I contracted. But aside from a small trickle during that time and a small gush after I bled very little. Even though it was low on the uterus and that supposedly encourages more bleeding. I didn't intentionally condition myself to bleed very little, unless I just told myself to bleed less while studying about birth and forgot I did that before hand. I know I had a strong will to not bleed more than necessary because I thought I might still be pregnant with a twin during that time.

 

I'm just throwing this out there to consider. Placebos also seem to work quite well for pain and bleeding. So whatever you want to try, I'd try it, as long as it's safe - it can't hurt and probably will help! :D

BlessedJess is offline  
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 PM
 
BlessedJess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post maybe a chiropractic adjustment or series of them in late pregnancy too.


I love that chiro advice and want to second that!!

BlessedJess is offline  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
zapzipzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedJess View Post

Mental conditioning would slow bleeding, according to research I've been doing. I was reading a testimonial from a dentist who used that method quite well.

 

I don't know why but I could have bled a lot more last time, compared to every other birth I've had. It took me 3 hours to get rid of the placenta without intervention and I could feel it peeling off slowly as I contracted. But aside from a small trickle during that time and a small gush after I bled very little. Even though it was low on the uterus and that supposedly encourages more bleeding. I didn't intentionally condition myself to bleed very little, unless I just told myself to bleed less while studying about birth and forgot I did that before hand. I know I had a strong will to not bleed more than necessary because I thought I might still be pregnant with a twin during that time.

 

I'm just throwing this out there to consider. Placebos also seem to work quite well for pain and bleeding. So whatever you want to try, I'd try it, as long as it's safe - it can't hurt and probably will help! :D

 

I took a Mind-Body health class in college... found out during one of the wars they ran out of morphine, and told patients needing amputations they were out but giving them a drug that worked better when it was just saline... and they were able to do the surgeries just fine.  I thought that was pretty amazing!  

 

I read tons and tons of stuff about contractions not hurting, just that everyone is brainwashed by the media to believe they hurt, so I really believed they weren't going to hurt, until I went into labor.  I had some contractions the day before that were very mild (started at my back and worked around to my tummy), but went away, so I just figured they'd be like that when it finally happened...  Until I got up out of bed and my legs buckled beneath me with the very first "real" one.....

 

This time I'm going to assume they'll be the same, and hoping they wont be.  I didn't feel pain in front, so if I dont have the back/hip pain, they probably wont be that bad.

 

I am doing hypno babies home study..... 


selectivevax.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gif & Part-Time EC
zapzipzee is offline  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
 
zapzipzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedJess View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post maybe a chiropractic adjustment or series of them in late pregnancy too.


I love that chiro advice and want to second that!!

I've been meaning to make an appointment....  I did ask the midwife about it, and she recommended against it.  I thought that was odd....  Writing it down to do tomorrow!


selectivevax.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gif & Part-Time EC
zapzipzee is offline  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
zapzipzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post

I wouldn't trust the Shepherd's Purse as much to stop a hemorrhage after over a year, even if it hadn't gone bad or completely lost it's potency. Maybe calcium and magnesium could help you some. I'd try a rebozo (cloth wrap to help squeeze your hips) and/or TENS unit for that kind of back/hip pain, maybe a chiropractic adjustment or series of them in late pregnancy too.

 

How many people are needed for the rebozo?  I'm hoping to have just DH and I, but if contractions are bad DH will be no help, and I'll call my mom....

 

I'm taking cal/mag because I was getting some painful braxton hicks contractions.... I read to stop taking it by 36 weeks though, or it can cause complications during labor or with baby... really cant remember the reasoning, just that I needed to stop taking it then....

 

I'll order some new Shepherd's Purse, not something I want to risk, and I'd prefer not to have to eat placenta....  I'm not sure I could keep it down...just thinking about it...ugh!


selectivevax.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gif & Part-Time EC
zapzipzee is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 PM
 
JamieCatheryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SW Pa
Posts: 5,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

1 person can do rebozo stuff with you, I found a page of info/videos http://birthunplugged.blogspot.com/2010/11/traditional-birth-secrets-rebozo.html

JamieCatheryn is online now  
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 PM
 
OrmEmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Quickly piping in to reinforce that Shepherd's Purse tincture should be made fresh each year, for use in hemorrhage.

 

Angelica builds blood and increases blood flow in the pelvic area.  Not something to take when you are bleeding, or are about to bleed soon.  The tincture itself will be viable for years.  Only a few tinctures have a short shelf life.  I have tinctures that are 10 years old and are still vibrant, taste fresh, and have remained effective.

 

I found The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm to be a great resource for herbs in pregnancy/birth.  Aviva trained as a midwife and herbalist, birthed 4 children (2 or 3 assisted only by husband) and has gone on to get her MD.  Nice to have these people around in the world and writing books!

OrmEmbar is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off