A few questions... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just found out Im pregnant with #4! Was not planning it anytime soon so quite the shock. A little history... #1 was born in a hospital 5 days overdue after a 5 hour labor non medicated and no issues but I was given an epsiotomy. #2 was a planned homebirth that turned hospital when I went 17 days overdue. He  was a 1.5 hour labor, sunny side up and another episiotomy UGH but no issues. #3 was born at home, didnt have more then 2 midwife visits because she was 3 hours away but were in NC and she was the only midwife I could find and he was born in 48 minutes and my midwife did NOT make it. He was born into the water and I tore right over my scar. My midwife is no longer delivering here because quite frankly... NC sucks when it comes to homebirth. Im now faced with a hospital birth or UC. I would LOVE an UC and know I can do so and my husband is on board. Im worried about tearing though. I have a feeling I will tear again and have no idea what to do about it? Also do I do prenatal care myself like I did with my midwife or go to a dr.? Quite frankly Im not comfortable seeing a dr. in this town. I saw him once with #3 and when I refused a pap he threw a fit and told me "I cant pull your pants off and make you but by law you need to". I do have the option of finding a dr. in VA so I can use the oops, baby came too fast excuse though. Ive never planned a UC before so Im so unsure of where to start.

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#2 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 PM

Is going to the hospital as an outpatient (not checking in the baby at all) to be stitched up an option?

Other than that, sounds like a good situation for an UC. Bad docs, no MW, comfortable delivering yourself...

Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
#3 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

I have no issues going to the hospital to be stitched up, Im more of just worried about the reaction and if they may try to do something.

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#4 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylins mama View Post

I have no issues going to the hospital to be stitched up, Im more of just worried about the reaction and if they may try to do something.

I don't know your state but a friend of mine birthed in Oregon UC and had to go in for help with a piece of placenta. She left the baby with her adult daughter and just was in the ER for a little bit and then discharged no trouble. I think the trouble starts when the baby checks in with you. If the baby is healthy and already taken care of so that they don't see it, there shouldn't be an issue. (unless your state is totally different.)

The oops option is a good one, I think, considering how fast you gave birth last time.

#5 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 PM

I'm here w/ you in NC, but not close to Va. The state mandated pap freaks me out in so many ways. I had a great home birth in Va. I would say if your partner is in agreement w/ you most of your battle is won. I've not had an episiotomy but would just research all I could on pushing (or rather not pushing) while crowning & go to the ER if it happened anyways but like the Or. lady, leave the baby w/ someone else.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#6 of 9 Old 02-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylins mama View Post

Yes, like the other posters said, I would leave your baby at home after he nurses (should be fine for a few hours - they usually sleep after the first nursing anyway). If they give you a hard time about the baby's health, you can tell them that you'll be discussing it with his pediatrician.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
#7 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 12:14 PM

My last birth, which was also a UC, I did tear, but not on my episiotomy scar.  It was at the top, next to my clitoris. which may sound worse, but it healed so much faster and easier than the episiotomy did.  I had a lot of trouble resisting the urge to push, and near the end, all I wanted was to push as hard as I could to get him out as fast as possible, which is likely why I tore.  There was a thread on this board (I think) that talked about how it seemed like women who had bigger babies were less likely to tear and it was thought it was because they spent more time in the birth canal which gives the mom more time to stretch.

Also, this is a bit of a side-bar, but is the pap really mandated in NC?  That seems crazy, since legally, unless you're not of sound mind, no one can force you to have any kind of medical test/treatment/etc. if you don't want it.  When I googled it, all I could find was that NC had mandated that health insurance cover all pap smears, regardless of age/pre-existing conditions/etc.

#8 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 PM

I've never read the law so you've gone further than me, but w/ my last baby both clinics said it was required that they as providers get one while in their care if I was to continue in their care.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#9 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Rylinsmama-if you PM me your email address I can send you some helpful UC PDF's and the Emergency Childbirth book thumb.gif. Reading old threads here is super informative too. 

BlessedJess likes this.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page