Refusing Care? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm new to the area, so I did not have a primary care physician. Last summer I needed a routine Physical (pap smear and stuff) and made an appointment with a local OBGYN. She came recommended, and I thought she could serve as my primary care physcian.

She was booked out several months in advance, and by the appointment arrived, I was nine weeks pregnant. The appointment went well (except she insisted I take a pregnancy test...but I already know I'm pregnant) and when I told her I was planning on a homebirth, she smiled, and said to feel free to use her in an emergency as a back-up doctor. I thought this was incredibly kind of her and have taken comfort in the idea that if anything goes wring, the hospital is 7 minutes away, and I have a nice OBGYN right there!

I've used her as my primary care physician once since then; when I had a kidney infection. Again, everything went great. 

A few weeks ago, I started trying to get a breastpump for free through my insurance. They don't need a prescription, but the providers of the breastpump do, and it HAS to be a doctor. So I called this OBGYN, and asked if she would give mne a prescription, and if so, would she just sent me one, or would I need to come in for a check-up? 

I thought the latter was a wonderful idea; I'm due soon and it would be reassuring to me to have a professional tell me the baby has turned and everything is looking great. (I know it's going great, it's just nice to hear it from someone else) 

She took two weeks to call me back. I just got off the phone with her. She said she could write me a prescription, but that I would need to come in because she hadn't seen me "since last year" (by which she means 2012 I assume? since my kidney infection was the day before New Year's) I said I would love to, but that it would need to be very soon because I am now due in two weeks. 

She completely changed her tone. She demanded to know why my midwife couldn't write me a prescription. I avoided the issue of UC, by stating that the provider needed an MD's prescription.

"But I'm not you doctor." 

"Um. But you are my primary care physician." 

"But I haven't seen you since last year. I am not responsible for you or your baby. You are not allowed in my office before that baby is born, and if something goes wrong at home and you end up at the hospital, you cannot say my name. I'm am not responsible for you. I will give you a prescription for a breastpump, don't come in. I don't want you in my office. I will mail it to you after your baby is born. Not before." 

And that was basically the end of the conversation. I get that dr's have liability issues, and insurance is a huge mess, but, really? I'm "Not allowed" in her office? She can't just give me a quick check-up? What happened to being my back-up emergency doctor? 

It doesn't change anything: I know my baby is healthy and I will have an uncomplicated, healthy birth at home, and I win in getting a prescription for a breast pump, but I am very upset. Is this a hormonal overreaction? or is this doctor out of line? 

Happy mama to two homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg DD's
#2 of 4 Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 AM

That's just downright weird....I can only imagine that she had some kind of issue with another homebirthing mom recently, and is feeling a little paranoid over the topic. 

I don't know that I'd say she was "out of line". She shouldn't see a patient she's not comfortable with, for sure. She's definitely acting really odd, though. If you really like her otherwise, and intend to keep her as your primary, you might want to have a conversation about her sudden change of attitude. I'd suggest waiting until after the birth, though, to minimize her defensiveness. 

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#3 of 4 Old 03-02-2013, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

That is really weird! I would second that maybe she got burned recently by a homebirthing mom or something, or maybe her hospital/clinic just had a recent rules change. That happened with my last baby. All along the doctor was pushing an automatic induction for me at 38 weeks because of a previous stillborn at 38 weeks. All of a sudden at 38.5 weeks he was acting like he had to fudge some rules and keep it on the hush hush if he were to induce me. It turned out that the hospital was all pissy about inductions because it gave them a bad mother-friendly grade or something.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#4 of 4 Old 03-08-2013, 01:15 PM

I have had similar experiences.  I don't know why an OB/GYN can't see a pregnant patient for non-OB purposes, even if they aren't obstetric patients, but they have refused to see me, too, unless I'm signed up (and paid up!) for them to deliver my baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page