OB rant.. - Mothering Forums

 
Thread Tools
#1 of 6 Old 03-07-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
Rowansmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had my 38 week visit with the doctor that I've been seeing. After checking the heartbeat and fundal height he wanted to do a cervix check. I had been thinking about declining it but curiosity got the best of me. I've been having a lot of braxton hicks and I wondered if they were doing anything. He told me I was 2 cm, 60% effaced and baby's head is 'right there'. Next sentence he asks if I'd like to be induced next week! I'll only be 39 weeks, and what really bothers me is for the past month or so I've measured consistently 2 weeks small every week. And yet he's more than happy to induce this baby at not even full term. When I said no to the induction, he proceeds to tell me that we'll talk about it again at my next visit. What makes no sense to me is that I'm already dilated, my body is obviously making progress, and I'm not due yet! I don't understand the push for induction when there's absolutely no reason. I can see him fighting me on this, and I don't need the stress. I can't decide if its worth keeping him there as a backup plan if I need him. The last time I didn't make an appointment they called the same day, I don't know what I'd tell them eyesroll.gif
Rowansmommy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 AM
 
MamatobabyA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, it seems like he was just offering you an induction.  As long as he didn't say "hey we have to induce for some random reason" and you have been happy until now, I think you are fine staying with him. 

MamatobabyA is offline  
#3 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 11:57 AM
 
BlessedJess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm just talking hypotheticals here... suppose you could claim you had a really contagious little cold and didn't want to come coughing and sneezing. Say you'll come next week and then the next week say someone else in the family is sick. Then say your grandma died. I totally agree that you don't need the pressure when the baby is fine but needs to grow without you being stressed and pushed. And I say that as a Christian. Rahab saved lives when she lied and had her own life saved for it.

 

If the intent is to protect and serve your baby - who is God's heritage - and family, then I think there's no moral objection to a lie. But you will have to decide what your own limits are.

BlessedJess is offline  
 
#4 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 06:01 PM
 
A_Random_Phrase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would not return. I would be too suspicious of being pressured even more at the next visit.

 

I like the idea of not feeling well and, "I'll let you know about the next appointment," so they don't put a date down for you.
 

A_Random_Phrase is offline  
#5 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 PM
 
bannanachild's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feel free to tell him that. You don't have to stay quiet when you disagree with your doctor. Just tell them you don't want to be induced, and you think it's reckless of him to suggest it when you are measuring small.

I think that when most women get near their due date, are so ready to be done being pregnant, they'll gladly take any excuse to be induced. He might be thinking you are one of those women, and is trying to help you out. Tell him no, and not to bring it up again .

Whatever you do, remember it's YOUR body. Don't let him bully you. And congrats on being 39 weeks!
A_Random_Phrase likes this.

Happy mama to two homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg DD's
bannanachild is offline  
#6 of 6 Old 03-09-2013, 07:11 PM
 
Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. He offered induction, you said no. Just stand your ground. And maybe delay the next appointment. I wouldn't wait til you miss it then lie, I would call now and say, I can't get in til X day (5 days from when they said or something) and i need to reschedule. Just say serious family commitments or something similar have come up and there is no way you can get in until then. With any luck by the appointment day you will have already gone into labour on your own. Do you usually go late? Are you planning an 'Ooops'?

A_Random_Phrase likes this.
Logan is offline  
Reply


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 17,216

25 members and 17,191 guests
emmy526 , greenemami , healthy momma , hillymum , IsaFrench , itstasha , katelove , Kelleybug , lhargrave89 , lisak1234 , Lydia08 , Michele123 , Midwestmom2009 , Mirzam , moominmamma , redsally , RollerCoasterMama , samaxtics , sciencemum , verticalscope , zebra15
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.