Measuring too big. Is it something I should worry about? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-11-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone! I am 30 weeks pregnant with my fourth child and measuring 35 weeks. I am not seeing an OBGYN and I wondered if this was something to worry about? My last UC was over 10lbs, but I didn't measure big with him until the last month of my pregnancy. Infact, though I have measured either too big or two small with all three of my other children, I have never experienced an unusual measurement until the last four weeks of gestation. I don't do ultrasounds, so I'm not %100 positive it is only one baby. From what I've read, I seem to be measuring too big for one baby but not big enough for twins. I am within my normal weight range and I've gained 31lbs with this pregnancy so far. This is the most active baby I have ever been pregnant with. I timed the kicking the other day and baby kicked for over three hours without stopping. Does anyone have any words of wisdom to offer? I do have a fetoscope, but can't seem to locate one heartbeat let alone two. 

Mama to Roger 9-14-2005 winky.gif, Erin 8-28-2007 flower.gif, Warren 8-10-2011 thumbsuck.gif and new little one due middle of June babyf.gif!!!!

#2 of 23 Old 04-11-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Might be a lot of amniotic fluid, that's what it sounds like to me. Can you tell anything by feeling for the baby? Head, bottom, feet? Does baby seem big to you or small compared to the belly size? Any sign of extra set of parts meaning there might be twins? If there is a lot of fluid watch out for waters breaking before baby engages in your pelvis when birthing time comes, encourage baby to drop before labor with good posture and relaxation exercises and eat your vitamin c and zinc for a strong amniotic sac.

The other thing for babies that get big quick is watch your carb intake, just to rule out gestational diabetes issues and stay healthy all around. Get extra protein and few desserts and refined grains.

#3 of 23 Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

The baby seems to be everywhere all at once. I feel movement very low in my pubic area as well as movement at the tippy top of my uterus and everywhere in between. With my last large baby, I knew for sure it was just one because when he would move my whole stomach shifted as one. This time I'm not so sure. I have tried feeling my stomach. I feel at least two very hard areas and possibly a third just above my pubic bone (that one has me a bit stumped). I have some pain with the movement of the baby that I am not used to. My other kids movements only hurt if they were under my ribs or kicking my bladder or something. I feel kind of sore all over this time, but, like I said, this is my most active baby so maybe the repeated kicking is why it hurts? 

Mama to Roger 9-14-2005 winky.gif, Erin 8-28-2007 flower.gif, Warren 8-10-2011 thumbsuck.gif and new little one due middle of June babyf.gif!!!!

#4 of 23 Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 AM

Just keep an open mind, is all I can say. Prior to birth there are no guarantees. Are you cool with a twin UC? I would be, which is why I didn't do any US when I thought I might have twins. I didn't start suspecting there was just one until a couple of weeks before the birth - it was a weird pregnancy. I'd say see what you feel like at 36 weeks, if US has no interest for you. --  If you did check now there's less chance they would misdiagnose a major deformity, but they might misdiagnose IUGR. I hate the false diagnosis. They even miss twins or triplets sometimes, so they are not a sure fire way to eliminate that doubt anyhow.

#5 of 23 Old 04-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Well, you're older & have had 3 other pregnancies at least. I'm 33 weeks on my 4th & the day-to-day of each pregnancy is significantly less rosy than the one before it. And this is the healthiest pregnancy I've ever had, least weigh gained, etc.I plan on seeing a home birth midwife around 36 weeks just to get a definite on baby's position so we'll know what to expect. I've gone to see her once before just to establish a baseline on growth. JaimeCatheryn's advice sounds spot on.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#6 of 23 Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I am cool with an unassisted twin birth, but I don't know that my husband would be. That is one reason I don't want to know for sure. ;) I am having a ton of pelvic pressure with this baby and I assume that is because the baby is sitting super low (some of the little flutters feel like the kid is trying to reach out of me. Yikes!), but I also have a lot of movement up near the top of my uterus so either the baby is huge or there is more than one. I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment if it's only one. I never even thought of twins with my other pregnancies. I started this pregnancy by having recurring twin dreams (still get them now and again). Not knowing is kind of driving me crazy, honestly. It helps to talk about it. 

#7 of 23 Old 04-13-2013, 11:39 AM

I have been in a similar boat.  This is my first, UPing and no US.  I am 29 weeks, measure 33cm, and I feel movement everywhere!!  I felt movement up under my right ribs and down at my left hip at the exact same time the other day.  Is it possible for one baby to be that long already?!  I can only feel one butt (pretty sure that is a butt that keeps sticking out) and can only feel on the surface on foot/leg at a time.  I have so many people I am huge and ask if I have twins and a few friends who are positive it's twins (one had a dream I had twin girls and he won't give it up). 

I guess my biggest thing is being comfortable with UCing twins if that's what happens (and I am......my mom says she wants to know for sure, but I think it'll be fine either way, just one more baby to birth, right?).  Also positioning is a big deal.  The baby I can feel that is always lying against my right side is definitely head down as I feel the feet up by my ribs and sternum.  If there is another baby in there I'm not sure what it's position is.  Would I be comfortable UCing a breech baby?  I think so.  My mom, who will be with me, has no fear of me birthing a breech baby, so that makes me much more comfortable with the whole thing.

I know none of that helps, but I guess it's food for thought.  And thank you everyone else for your input about nutrition and a healthy amniotic sac. 

I'm glad you asked this because I have been thinking about it a lot lately!

#8 of 23 Old 04-13-2013, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I am 37 weeks and have been considering a UC all along and have been measuring large since 20 weeks. I had a 20 week u/s that showed just baby measuring a week ahead but then I started measuring ahead too (fundal height I mean). First at 1 or 2 weeks ahead and then up to 4 weeks ahead. I had and am feeling fine and baby was and is moving fine and kicking well. I already knew I was having just one so I wasn't worried about twins. I googled the crap out of what can cause measuring ahead and what I read was polyhydramnios (which would be assuming that you are measuring ahead because of excess fluid and not because of 2 babies or 1 large baby) is caused by gestational diabetes or that baby has some sort of abnormality or anomaly. In my case my baby has a benign cyst on the back of her skull and that is probably why she I had the excess fluid. I just had a therapeutic amniocentesis done Friday to pull of the excess fluid (8 oz. removed). My baby had flipped breech because of the excess fluid giving her more room to swim and of course once I researched the crap out of how to deliver a breech baby she slipped back on her own. Now that I have the excess fluid off and I am over 37 weeks it is very unlikely she will be able to flip back to breech. Anyway, I think there are pretty easy ways to test for gestational diabetes at home without a doctor or midwife so you can rule that out. Eventually it should be easier to detect twins as you get further into the third trimester. If you can rule out GD and twins then you will have to decide whether or not to you are comfortable birthing a baby at home that may possibly have an anomaly. In my case I really don't think that my baby's anomaly will effect her birth outcome AT ALL and I am willing to UC her at home. My doctors have yet to prove to me that there any possible negative birth outcome caused by her anomaly, yet insist that I am induced at a hospital over an hour away (induced for scheduling ease of course...) so that she can be born in a hospital with a NICU "just in case". The "just in case" part appears to not really have any definition or details....(rolls eyes). It is a tough call but personally I wish I never had even had my 20 week u/s because I had been UPing up until then and once they saw that cyst they absolutely freaked out! It made for a stressful portion of my pregnancy but once I did my own research and started asking really detailed questions to my doctors it seemed to calm them down (which was annoying because I am the patient and they are the doctors). Just last week they assured me I would need a c-section at 39 weeks in a NICU hospital and this week they say a vaginal induction anytime between now and 39 weeks is the better option. My advice is to do your research, do some thinking, wait it out a bit and you decide what your best options are and then go from there. Definitely do not let any doctor or midwife tell you what you should do! Good luck!

Sorry to be so long but it is all so fresh in my mind! haha

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#9 of 23 Old 04-14-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post

I googled the crap out of what can cause measuring ahead and what I read was polyhydramnios (which would be assuming that you are measuring ahead because of excess fluid and not because of 2 babies or 1 large baby) is caused by gestational diabetes or that baby has some sort of abnormality or anomaly. I

Just wanted to point out that I had polyhydramnios with my last baby (fundal height was literally off the charts) and I had neither gestational diabetes nor were there any abnormalities or anomalies with my baby, so sometimes it just happens :) 

FencedinFamily likes this.
#10 of 23 Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 PM

Ultrasound for me shows just one and midwife only ever palpates one baby. At my last appointment at 27.5 weeks I was measuring 31-31.5 cm. So, it doesn't have to mean anything. But, if you are open to twin UC, just make sure you have a few extra supplies, just in case. :) I totally felt like I was having twins at the beginning of this pregnancy for multiple reason, but nope. I feel movement at the bottom and top and all around. Most active baby ever for me. She's head down as of my last appointment. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#11 of 23 Old 04-14-2013, 03:06 PM

I love and prefer UC. My last pregnancy was identical twins and when I started measuring ahead went for an ultrasound. They found out the identical twins had TTTS and had to have emergency laser ablation in the placenta. Now, I was measuring 30 weeks at 18 so it was a huge difference. Please know that I am not trying to scare you ( the chances of identical twins + sharing placenta~ leading to TTT are super slim, in those conditions, the ultrasound saved her life. Again I am super pro UC and I'm only sharing this because I fel I should.
#12 of 23 Old 04-14-2013, 05:06 PM

maos211 makes a good point. I had 2 ultrasounds with my UC. Only really needed one, but anyway. It's nice to know there's no dangerous complications to worry about. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#13 of 23 Old 04-15-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I was concidering an ultrasound with my first UC and ended up not having one. I am very grateful I chose not to as my son had deformed feet (congenital vertical talus) and a low nasal bridge, both of which could have been detected by ultrasound. If I would have known about these things I would have been scared and freaking out the rest of my pregnancy and I probably would have had him in a hospital via an induction or c-section. As things turned out, I had a beautiful home birth and got to enjoy him for about seven months before all of his issues came to light. Since his first visit to Shriner's his feet (which he was scheduled to have multiple castings/surgery on) have miraculously healed (doc said she'd never heard of or seen anything like it) and he is catching up developmentally. His doctor would still like to have genetic testing done on him, but I am holding off for now. Sometimes it is just best not to know these things. 

I would be surprised if I had extra fluid as the baby (or babies!) seem to fill my entire uterus. I will be saying lots of prayers between now and June to make sure I am making the right choice by UCing this baby, but so far I have nothing but good feelings! 

#14 of 23 Old 04-15-2013, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

What is with doctors and pushing genetic testing anyway? Mine have been pushing it since my 20 week u/s.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#15 of 23 Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM

My concern would be GD. I would probably want to rule that out.

#16 of 23 Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

I bought a blood glucose monitor and so far everything looks good! :)

FencedinFamily likes this.

#17 of 23 Old 05-21-2013, 05:50 PM

Sorry I don't have any words of advice for you, but I do have some questions, if you wouldn't mind! My daughter was 9lbs 5oz, and I am expecting another in 5 weeks. I am going to have a UC and I am measuring 2 weeks big. Did you have any problems with your large baby during your first unassisted? Specifically, tearing? 

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2

lactivist.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.giffamilybed2.gif

#18 of 23 Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

I had a water birth and I did not have any tearing (such a miracle!). I honestly think the warm water helped in my situation. I also did not have any issues with the baby getting stuck or anything like that. The one problem I did have was that the placenta was really large and it did not want to come out. I ended up transferring to the hospital and having it manually removed, but I have learned since then that I could have waited longer for my body to recover and deliver the placenta. There are also many tricks I could have tried to get it to come out. One woman suggested squating over a bowl, lifting my belly with my hands and blowing out as if to blow across the top of a bottle. Appartently, if your bladder is full, it can also cause the placenta to become trapped. Lifting up on your belly while sitting on the toilet can help you to empty your bladder and will sometimes allow the placenta to come out. I hope this was helpful. I know that small tears can heal on their own, but I don't know what I would do if I had a large tear. Good luck with your upcoming birth! 

#19 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 PM

How long would you feel comfortable waiting for your placenta?

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2

lactivist.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.giffamilybed2.gif

#20 of 23 Old 05-26-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

At the time of my last birth, I was convinced the placenta had to come out within two hours of the birth. Since then, I have learned that it can stay in up to 72 hours as long as you keep the area clean and dont develop a fever. Sometimes your body just needs to rest for awhile before it is strong enough to expell the placenta. If you wait a couple of days however, you have to be careful that the blood can drain out around the placenta. I was told to push on my uterus and make sure it wasn't rising during that time because that would mean that the blood is trapped and filling your uterus. 

AllyFolsom likes this.

#21 of 23 Old 06-14-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a pic of my belly at 39 weeks + 4 days! I'm feeling more like it's only one baby, but will keep you posted! 

AllyFolsom likes this.

#22 of 23 Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 PM

It does come out very far, like a lot of twins I have seen, but some women just have that anyway when pregnant. How tall are you, mama? Do you feel pretty normal for your full-term size now that you're further along? Looking forward to hearing how many it ends up being smile.gif

#23 of 23 Old 06-19-2013, 01:46 PM

I measured large from the very get-go, and had a very active little one, which led the midwives to request an ultrasound around 17 weeks. I was measuring around 21 at that time. At 20 weeks, they initially measured me at 30cm!, then played with the baby a bit before settling for the 24 they came up with after getting her to curl up a bit. And at 30 weeks, after wildly fluctuating measurements, the midwives requested a second US. Had a normal, uncomplicated birth at 41 weeks and my little girl was 7 pounds 4 ounces. From the get-go, I felt a lot of stretching from her, like she'd just push out on all sides as far as she could, and this seemed to be the cause of the unusual readings for me. I explained this to the midwives, and after her delivery, I think they better understood what I was saying, but as I was a first time mother, I think they weren't really too sure if I understood completely what I was feeling. By your weight gain, I wouldn't be concerned about an over-excess of amniotic fluid, but since there hasn't been an US, then I'd think twins MIGHT be a possibility. From my experiences, I'd say that it probably isn't anything to worry over, but a woman is more in-tune with her own body and what is happening in there that might explain things. I felt like I stressed more over the midwives concerns than I would have simply on my own. But I'd felt my little one doing what I dubbed the "superman pose" with arms and legs completely outstretched from about 12 weeks (so even before you would have thought I should have been able to feel her). Of course, originally I only felt this when she would be front to back (stretched from my belly to my back, so that it'd feel like there was a little rod through my midsection), but soon she only had enough space to do this up and down which was when my measurements started fluctuating so wildly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page