Prodromal Labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Within half an hour of sex, I start getting contractions.  3-5 minutes apart, 45-60 seconds long. They last for about 6 hrs at that pace, then another two and they've simmered down to braxton hicks.  Gives me lots of practice doing my hypnobabies, but that's about it.

What can I do to either stop it, or make it productive?  This is my second baby, and it had started engaging last friday (head no longer wiggled back and forth), but I cant really tell how much engaged it is.  My first never engaged until after they broke my water.

My lower abs and inner thighs are killing me.  I cant move my legs while laying down because it hurts!  The chiropractor said it was probably baby dropping down, moving the bones apart and causing the muscles to become sore....  thoughts?

Baby is currently in LOA position!

Thanks!

selectivevax.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gif & Part-Time EC
#2 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Can you walk? "they" always say walking is good or dancing-put some fun music on? 

If you need to be laying down...more sex? shy.gif or stimulation? Nipples are sposed to be especially good...

There's a reflexology point on the ankle you could look up.

Talk to your baby...tell it you're ready, ask for it's cooperation, etc

Keep us posted!! hug.gif 

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#3 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 AM

All good advice above. I had prodomal labor with my DD (UC) and it was quite frustrating. I was almost a week past my EDD then too. The contractions were very convincing and I was so sure I'd be having baby, but they fizzled out for about 24-30 hours and then I went into real labor. I had a good cry that day in between and prayed for things to happen because I was feeling a bit concerned. Another idea would be some RRL infusion. I don't know the recipe. Tried to look it up a bit, but yeah. It's just super strong tea from what I understand. Or just drink some RRL tea throughout the day. I don't know, it's only an idea. :) It won't cause labor, but if you are heading in that direction it could help make things more productive from what I read.

Thread I found about the RRL infusion just for fun http://www.mothering.com/community/t/882112/rrl-tea-infusion-survey

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#4 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I'm almost 38 weeks.  Better for baby to stay in, but if it's ready, I dont want to impeede.....  This has been happening since 35 weeks, but gradually getting more intense...  I think next time I'll try these things to keep it going.  *I* am probably not ready....  I need three days of sun for our yard to dry out enough to pull weeds and get my seeds planted....  THEN I'll be ready for baby!  Today is day 3 of no rain, 2 of sun, so I'm going to head out and see if I dont sink into clay after the dew evaporates!  DH is also not ready this week...  he is in the middle of a big project at work, so now is a really inconvenient time!  :)  We've been joking that this week would be THE week just because of his work schedule!

I did try walking around... made them seem right on top of each other, but I wasn't timing at that point.... I'm doing hypnobabies, so the walking around and them being that close was pretty difficult, as hypnobabies wants you to completely relax for the first part. 

Thanks!

ETA:  My midwife recommended only 1 cup of weak RRL tea/day at the beginning of the 3rd trimester because I was getting contractions in the second trimester.  I think it's time to drink more though.  I really like it!  Thanks for the reminder!

#5 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 02:31 PM

This happened w/ my second baby at 40 weeks, though she didn't show up until 41+3. Contractions would start after lunch, be long & strong, get closer together until they were 10 min. apart, I'd go to bed at 10:30, sleep great & the cycle would begin after lunch again. It was actually the easiest way to have a baby & this lasted for 5 days. I was wet nursing a baby I was babysitting & laying him down for the morning nap, brought them on in earnest & kick started a 7 hour labor. I feel those days of early contractions were a great aid in having such a fast & easy labor though it was exceedingly puzzling & frustrating at the time.

zapzipzee likes this.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#6 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 03:07 PM

Yeah, my prodomal labor did end up making real labor go really fast for me. I think it was 6 hours that I knew I was in labor. Woke up around 3 something in the morning with contractions and had baby by 9:16am. And my previous labors had been 73 hours first and almost 13 hours second. I have read a lot of people who have prodomal labor end up with quick(or at least faster) "real" labors.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#7 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Yeah, my prodomal labor did end up making real labor go really fast for me. I think it was 6 hours that I knew I was in labor. Woke up around 3 something in the morning with contractions and had baby by 9:16am. And my previous labors had been 73 hours first and almost 13 hours second. I have read a lot of people who have prodomal labor end up with quick(or at least faster) "real" labors.

Did your real labor feel any different?  Did you know "this is real" or did you just think it was more prodromal labor?  I'm kinda worried I wont recognize real labor when it does happen and not be able to get a hold of DH at work.  I'm not for UCing alone with a toddler!!!!

#8 of 11 Old 04-24-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapzipzee View Post

Did your real labor feel any different?  Did you know "this is real" or did you just think it was more prodromal labor?  I'm kinda worried I wont recognize real labor when it does happen and not be able to get a hold of DH at work.  I'm not for UCing alone with a toddler!!!!

Things did seem to get more intense once real labor kicked in. But, I have heard of some women being unsure. I would say to be on the safe side, if you have contractions coming very regularly, they gradually seem to be getting closer together and increasing in intensity, then most likely it'll be the real thing and if it isn't, oh well, you were playing it safe. :) 

Have you ever tried checking your cervix, can you reach your cervix? That can be somewhat useful if you can check it to see if there is some progression. I mean, I wouldn't want to do it often especially if you get disappointed, but if you see that you are more dilated with the contractions that could be an indicator of the real thing too. I didn't know how to find my cervix until my more recent attempt at conceiving. It's kind of interesting. LOL

#9 of 11 Old 04-24-2013, 06:11 AM

If you or your partner is interested in checking...
- it won't guarantee anything as some women hang around at 3-even 5 cm for a while, but it could be handy if you are having contractions and then are able to notice a difference after a while of having them.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/551993/checking-own-cervix-for-dilation

http://prepforlabor.tripod.com/id14.html

Quote:
If you are only checking for dilation simply insert two lubricated fingers into the vaginal canal and find the cervix. If you feel an opening in the cervix, this means dilation has occurred. Every finger that can be fit inside is one cm dilation. For example if you can fit two fingers inside even stretching a bit you are around 2 cm dilated. http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-check-your-cervix-for-dilation/

I don't know which link explains best, but just thought I'd give you a starting point. :)

#10 of 11 Old 04-24-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

If you or your partner is interested in checking...
- it won't guarantee anything as some women hang around at 3-even 5 cm for a while, but it could be handy if you are having contractions and then are able to notice a difference after a while of having them.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/551993/checking-own-cervix-for-dilation

http://prepforlabor.tripod.com/id14.html

Quote:
If you are only checking for dilation simply insert two lubricated fingers into the vaginal canal and find the cervix. If you feel an opening in the cervix, this means dilation has occurred. Every finger that can be fit inside is one cm dilation. For example if you can fit two fingers inside even stretching a bit you are around 2 cm dilated. http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-check-your-cervix-for-dilation/

I don't know which link explains best, but just thought I'd give you a starting point. :)

I've checked a few times....  I've been easily a 3 for some time now...  Last time I checked was probably a 4, seemed much "wider" than the previous time.

Saw the midwife today... she said baby's chin is tucked (something I cant tell), but it isn't anymore engaged than the last time I saw her, 1.5weeks ago.  Also, I'm not measuring any bigger according to her measurements, but measuring smaller according to mine...

#11 of 11 Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 AM

Sounds like your body is doing something. You probably won't have a very long labor. Hard to say when it will start of course. Anyway, same applies I suppose, if you notice contractions coming, getting closer together and stronger and cervical changes, get your hubby home or if you just feel really confident that "this is it." I hope you have a great birth experience. I know it's hard waiting to see how everything will play out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page