Just thought I'd share my birth plan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been working on this for a while... I wanted to have something for DH to refer to when things start happening! Someone else had posted their birth plan a while ago which was of great help to me in writing mine! In fact I kept their format and much of the info too (hope they don't mind!). I hope this can be of help to someone else and appreciate any input on what to add or subtract! So glad to be part of this community and I look forward to sharing pictures and a birth story when our little one comes! I'm "due" May 12th, but my first was 19 days "late".... still hoping it'll be earlier this time around!

------------------------------------------

Raeanne’s Birth Plan:

Normal heart rate for baby is no less than 110BPM and no more than 170 between contractions.

That being said, in the second stage of labour 75% of babies will have an ‘abnormal’ heart rate due to normal physiological processes such as head compression.

At start of Labor:

-Tell Raeanne to drink every half hour or so, offer her a snack a few times.

-Tell her to pee at least once per hour, if she can.

-Take a few pictures if you get the chance.

-Make sure house is warm.

-Make sure everything is cleaned up and in order in the house (no clothes or toys laying around where Raeanne could trip or bleed on them).

-If laundry needs to be washed throw a load or two in.

-Start dishwasher if needed.

-Double check the bed has OLD SHEETS and waterproof mattress pad/shower curtain liner on.

-Get yourself and Kaylen food so that energy levels and moods stay high!

Mid Labor:

-Raeanne may get in the tub when and if she feels the need.

-Maybe recommend a shower too? Help her blow dry her hair if she wants.

Once things get going:

-Tell Raeanne to drink every half hour or so, just a small sip is fine.

-Tell her to pee at least once per hour, if she can.

-Recommend position changes if something doesn’t seem to be working well for her.

-Remember that sometimes a red/purple line will appear between a woman’s butt cheeks that can indicate how dilated she is. Check for that! If it is slightly below the tailbone she’s at 6 or 7 cm. if it’s at the top of butt crack she is probably around 10 cm! Take a picture so Raeanne can help you analyse.

-Keep in mind that Raeanne may experience hopelessness or feel like giving up. This is very normal during transition and requires only support and encouragement!

-The tub is a great option for coping with intense contractions… you may encourage Raeanne to get in the tub or shower.

-Remind her to avoid laboring on her back or in a squatting position. On back increases chance of stuck shoulders and squatting can cause tears.

-When baby begins to crown remind Raeanne that it can be helpful to not push (especially not quickly or forcefully) to allow optimal stretching and avoid tearing! Encourage her to pant through the contractions to avoid pushing.

-About 1/3 of babies will have a nuchal cord (cord around their neck) at birth. If it is loosely wrapped and you are able to unwrap it, do so, but it is more than fine if you are unable to!

-For emergency childbirth procedures refer to Emergency Childbirth by Gregory White!

After the birth:

Make sure baby is breathing!

The most important thing is skin to skin contact (with a blanket draped over mother and baby), hearing familiar voices, a relaxed atmosphere, leaving the cord attached, stimulating the baby’s feet, and gentle rubbing/massaging to get baby going! If Raeanne feels that suctioning the nose is necessary she will do so. Gentle blowing on the baby’s face provides stimulation and encourages baby to take a breath. As long as baby is attached to the placenta he is still getting oxygen! A nice chunky, purple, pulsing cord should be a great reassurance to you! You can feel the beats per minute too! DO NOT PANIC! Time seems suspended when waiting for a baby to breath; check your watch, what feels like 10 minutes is likely only 1! 

Make sure Raeanne isn't bleeding too heavily

Notes on bleeding:

-10 layers of double-ply paper towels will fill up and leak at appx 1/4 cup

-1/4 cup soaks a maternity sanitary pad

-1/2 cup thoroughly saturates a hospital size pad, slightly more for an overnight type cloth diaper. (If the pad is full and dripping out when you pick it up, it contains at least 1/2 cup).

-Blood mixed with water or amniotic fluid seems more than it is. Base your guess on the darker area in the center and ignore the lighter area on the sides. Remember that most babies have a cup or two of hind waters at birth and this may mix with blood and magnify the loss. Change to a clean, DRY, pad quickly in order to get a more accurate estimate.

More than 2 cups of blood loss total is bad in a normal case, but Raeanne bled extra heavily last time (probably 3 or more cups) with no adverse effects! Keep an eye out for signs of shockiness; feeling faint, dizzy, nauseated, excessively thirsty, excessively weak, pale/cold/clammy skin and restlessness in the mother. If Raeanne does seem to be going into shock she will not be able to make the decision to call for help and it will be your job to call 911!

To control bleeding:

If placenta has not been delivered give Angelica: 1 dropper full under the tongue every minute as needed and up to 3 times.

If placenta has been delivered give Shepherd’s Purse 1 dropper full under the tongue every minute as needed (up to 3 doses) and a dime-sized slice of the maternal side (membrane side that was attached to the uterus) of the placenta to tuck into her cheek and get baby to nurse asap!

Ice cubes on the bottoms of her feet. This causes strong contraction through the sympathetic nervous system, and it also slows circulation and decreases bleeding.

These remedies should take effect within 1 minute (meaning that there is a lessening of blood flow). If this is not effective - TRANSFER TO HOSPITAL.

If Raeanne is no longer bleeding but still seems slightly in shock the following things should be done:

-Keep her AWAKE and WARM. She should LAY DOWN and ELEVATE LEGS. She may be nervous and restless. REASSURE HER and KEEP HER STILL.

Remedies:

-Arnica (white bottle with red lid) 5 pellets every 5 minutes up to 3 doses.

-Emergen-C

-Have Raeanne drink 1 teaspoon Cayenne powder, 1/4 cup warm water,1/4 cup lemon juice with 1 tablespoon maple syrup. It strengthens contractions, regulates blood pressure and treats shock.

Under normal circumstances:

-Make a note of the time for birth certificate.

-Take a few pictures if you get the chance! Especially now with new baby!

-Make sure baby is latched on or trying.

-Enjoy some time with your new child! Most everything can wait for 15 minutes or so!

-Make certain Raeanne empties her bladder fairly often (at least every 30 minutes) if placenta hasn't been delivered.

-Give Raeanne a drink and snack; water, fruit, beef jerky, Cliff bar etc. Emergen-C if she needs or wants it!

-Get a bowl ready for the placenta… it is normal for a physiological placental birth to take an hour or hours! Do not rush the process! Do not pull on cord or massage uterus.

What to do with placenta:

Never pull on the cord!

-Get Raeanne upright if it is not out within an hour or so. She may push if she feels like it.

-After its delivered inspect it to see if it looks “whole”.

-Depending upon when the cord is cut it may be necessary to draw blood from the fetal side of the placenta or from the cord itself for the Eldoncard blood test kit. Draw a syringe full of blood and do the test when things are calm and you can be assured of your full attention to the directions!

-Leave it in bowl covered with towel until the cord has stopped pulsing and you and Raeanne agree to cut it!

-Check Raeanne isn't bleeding too heavily (if she is see above), help her get a Depends on.

-Keep placenta covered in the refrigerator for two days in case of continued bleeding, if that occurs it should be taken along with you to the hospital. Otherwise it can be put it in a freezer bag and into the downstairs freezer to be dealt with later. 

After birth is all over:

-Get baby an outfit and diaper and olive oil for baby's bum to prevent meconium from sticking.

-Get Raeanne an outfit and Depends and shower if she wishes.

-Clean up any messes. Start a load of soiled laundry: on cold with a scoop of detergent and leave lid of washer open so the items can soak.

-Empty tub out if needed.

-Check Raeanne for tears and treat with honey if needed. If she has more than a 1st degree tear we will call midwife.

zapzipzee likes this.
#2 of 7 Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

OMG!!! You are due in two days. It looks like you are all planned and ready. Best with your new baby...in two days

#3 of 7 Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just in case you haven't had the baby yet (and for anyone else):

"If Raeanne feels that suctioning the nose is necessary she will do so."

With suctioning a just-born baby, it's mouth then nose. From a NRP presentation: "If the nose is suctioned before the mouth, the newborn may be stimulated to

breathe in, and may inhale any fluid or secretions in the mouth."

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 7 Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know! Thank you so much for your input! :)

Still no baby here and no signs that labor is imminent either! Pray it's soon... I'm anxious and excited to be done!

#5 of 7 Old 05-18-2013, 12:56 PM

I just wanted to say that I love how you have it all planned out, lol. But about squatting position...I have actually heard that you are less likely to tear in that position, and it can also be necessary if you have a stuck baby. What's wrong with squatting? smile.gif
#6 of 7 Old 05-21-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

@Almi

From what I've heard (and just how my body feels when I've tried it in the past) squatting seems to put a lot of undue pressure on the perineum and has just never been a particularly comfortable position for me to be in... I tore with my first child and I'm trying to be super careful this time!

http://midwifethinking.com/2010/08/07/perineal-protectors/

"Lateral and hands-knees positions reduce the chance of tearing, and supine, squatting or lithotomy positions increase the chance of tearing (Albers et al. 1996; Hastings-Tolsma et al. 2007; Mayerhofer et al. 2002; Murphy & Feinland 1998; Shorten, Donsante & Shorten 2002). I have noticed that when women are left to birth instinctively they will often move from a squatting position – if they got into one – into a hands-knees position just before the head crowns. In forward leaning positions any tearing that does occur will usually be labial rather than vaginal. Labial tears sting like mad but heal well."

Anyways...

I'm still pregnant! Been walking, bouncing on ball, EPO, and the most fun way to try and start labor = sex, but to no avail! I'm anixous for things to get started but my dd was so "late" (19 days "overdue") and so perfect that I just do not feel as if I need to rush things! I think it might just take me a bit longer to grow my babies than some other women... how very blessed I am that I do not have an ob breathing down my neck to induce! :)

Still lots of lovely baby movement and I feel pretty great considering I'm 41 weeks pregnant! No major complaints!

#7 of 7 Old 05-21-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mngreyday View Post

@Almi

From what I've heard (and just how my body feels when I've tried it in the past) squatting seems to put a lot of undue pressure on the perineum and has just never been a particularly comfortable position for me to be in... I tore with my first child and I'm trying to be super careful this time!

http://midwifethinking.com/2010/08/07/perineal-protectors/

"Lateral and hands-knees positions reduce the chance of tearing, and supine, squatting or lithotomy positions increase the chance of tearing (Albers et al. 1996; Hastings-Tolsma et al. 2007; Mayerhofer et al. 2002; Murphy & Feinland 1998; Shorten, Donsante & Shorten 2002). I have noticed that when women are left to birth instinctively they will often move from a squatting position – if they got into one – into a hands-knees position just before the head crowns. In forward leaning positions any tearing that does occur will usually be labial rather than vaginal. Labial tears sting like mad but heal well."

Anyways...

I'm still pregnant! Been walking, bouncing on ball, EPO, and the most fun way to try and start labor = sex, but to no avail! I'm anixous for things to get started but my dd was so "late" (19 days "overdue") and so perfect that I just do not feel as if I need to rush things! I think it might just take me a bit longer to grow my babies than some other women... how very blessed I am that I do not have an ob breathing down my neck to induce! :)

Still lots of lovely baby movement and I feel pretty great considering I'm 41 weeks pregnant! No major complaints!

I see.  I guess I personally have never labored or birthed in a squatting position, but it does make sense.  I preferred to be on my knees for delivery, and I did sustain a vaginal tear that made its way onto my labia because my first baby had a nuchal hand (my husband told me this after the fact, I had no idea!).  That's the only tear I've ever had, and that was my smallest baby (4 lbs, 2 oz).  I did not tear at all with my 8 lb baby (third baby), and I've never so much as had a scratch on my perineum.  I gave birth on the toilet for my third baby, so I was sitting upright.

I agree, how lovely it must be to not have to worry about being induced.  I wish more women would explore their options regarding childbirth, and stand up for their own rights (and therefore those of their babies).  Excellent that you and baby feel good - that's what really matters, not the number on how many weeks you've gestated.  I'm beginning to hate numbers when it comes to pregnancy, labor, and birth.  Often, they mean nothing.  Keep us updated - no doubt you will be holding a baby soon! :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page