Unassisted childbirth in Alabama (please help) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-01-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I have been talking about a unassisted birth but we are not sure where to start and how legal it is. We live in Cullman AL and really need some info on the law and how the state will react to a child being born at home.Has any moms had experience with a unassisted birth in Alabama? Can you still use a Doula or is that illegal ? Should we take our baby to the hospital after I give birth to him and say oopps guess we didn't make it in time or does that matter? < This is what our Doula told us was an option. I have been trying to do research but I really can not find anything so that is why I have come to this page for help. Please if anyone has information or can help me more and are willing to share your story message me. Thank you ladies.

#2 of 14 Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Hi Shelina and welcome to Mothering!

I'm going to move your thread to the Unassisted Childbirth forum where it is more appropriately hosted and you can get some feedback from parents involved in and discussing UC. 

#3 of 14 Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 PM

It's not illegal to UC, and it's not illegal to have labor support with you while you UC. Although, you want to be sure that your doula knows that you are not expecting her to act as your midwife. A doula is only there to support you through your labor, not to provide medical assistance or advice. 

Does the hospital in Cullman have a NICU? Just wondering because if you go into preterm labor, or if something is wrong then you would have to transfer to ********** to UAB or Children's. It's always good to think about a backup plan. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 14 Old 05-04-2013, 11:19 PM

Maybe one thing to look into that would help you feel better about the legal situation (which is perfectly legal; you can birth wherever you like) would be how you would go about filing a birth certificate after your unassisted birth. I had my fourth baby in Maryland with an unlicensed midwife and called the health department and told them that it was an unassisted home birth. They sent someone out to the house to ask me some questions and she filed the birth certificate for us, no hassle.

If you and baby are both doing well, I would not go to the hospital after the baby is born. It's likely that they would want to keep the baby up to 48 hours for "observation" and you would be stuck doing your postpartum time in the hospital (which I'm assuming you don't want to do).

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Id do some research on the legal aspect. I wanted a uc with my 4th, but upon some investigation, I learned that it is illegal in NC. I had toyed with the "oopsy he was born too fast" idea too, but ended up going to the hospital for fear of cps, calling it child abuse/neglect... I have no clue what the laws in AL say about homebirth, so I'd just always always recommend doing your home work first.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#6 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 AM

There is no state in the U.S. where a woman having an unattended birth at home is illegal.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#7 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 AM

Actually each state has laws that vary very much. The state where I live it is in fact illegal. You can only legally have a home birth with a professional midwife, or CPM. Which costs upward of 3,500.00 so unless u can afford that, your options are go to the hospital or have an illegal birth.
However it looks like about a week ago there was a bill started to legalize home birth in NC, it's not a law yet tho

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

#8 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 08:03 AM
rcr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am having homebirth in AL with a midwife (yes, I know the legal environment, and so does the midwife... she has a thriving practice in Alabama). From what my midwife says, it is actually really easy to get a birth certificate here, and it is definetely not illegal to UC. In fact, everybody who homebirths in the state (there are now only two midwives, but they both will travel anywhere in the state) has to say that they had a UC because midwives are illegal in the state. You just have to prove that you were pregnant - so have a doc see you once, or the other option is to have three seperate people sign something to say that you were pregnant. No big deal at all.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#9 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post

Actually each state has laws that vary very much. The state where I live it is in fact illegal. You can only legally have a home birth with a professional midwife, or CPM. Which costs upward of 3,500.00 so unless u can afford that, your options are go to the hospital or have an illegal birth.
However it looks like about a week ago there was a bill started to legalize home birth in NC, it's not a law yet tho

It is not illegal for YOU to have an unassisted home birth. It is illegal in some states for certain providers to attend the home birth as your care provider, but you as the parent are not breaking any laws by not hiring someone to attend your birth in any state. There is no state that requires you to hire someone or penalizes you for not doing so. In NC, CPMs are not currently legal - you would have to hire a CNM in order to have a legal care provider at your birth. The current legislation in NC is aimed at legalizing CPMs. In any case, the parent is not criminally liable even if their care provider is acting illegally or if they choose to hire no one.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#10 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 PM

Ok, I guess my interpretation of the law differs from yours

#11 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 01:35 PM

Can you post a link to the law that you are referring to?

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#12 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 04:50 PM

Hm, it never occurred to me to look into the legality of managing my own body. I did see a midwife in Asheville for a check up & told her we were planning a UC. She didn't mention legality at all.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#13 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 PM

Unfortunately, I can't post links with my phone, if I can I don't know how.
I had just googled "laws and statutes NC home birth" and what I found led me to believe it was illegal, however, maybe I just interpreted it wrong...which sucks, cuz now I missed my chance at having a homebirth.
Sorry if I caused confusion or led anyone astray.

#14 of 14 Old 05-18-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post

I am having homebirth in AL with a midwife (yes, I know the legal environment, and so does the midwife... she has a thriving practice in Alabama). From what my midwife says, it is actually really easy to get a birth certificate here, and it is definetely not illegal to UC. In fact, everybody who homebirths in the state (there are now only two midwives, but they both will travel anywhere in the state) has to say that they had a UC because midwives are illegal in the state. You just have to prove that you were pregnant - so have a doc see you once, or the other option is to have three seperate people sign something to say that you were pregnant. No big deal at all.

rcr - my account won't let me send a PM for some reason. Please can you contact me? I need to find a midwife urgently.

Tags
Mothering Help

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page