I have MANY questions about my upcoming UBAC, large baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 35 weeks with my son, and he has been consistently measuring 2 weeks large. My daughter was born 14 months ago via c-section at 39 weeks, and was 9lbs 5oz. (Not an emergency section, just the doctor playing boss and me being uneducated) I am planning a UC, and I have so many questions! I have read that you are more likely to rupture your uterus in the hospital, but I am still a little worried about it. Is 14 months enough healing time for this to be safe? I am concerned about tearing, as he might be large like my daughter. I have read that if you are very relaxed and don't push very hard, then you won't tear as bad. Is it possible for me to just sit back and let him come out on his own with no pushing? How long is too long in the birth canal? Once he is born, how will I weigh him? When should I take him to the doctor? At a few days old? How do I get a birth certificate? How do I manage postpartum pain? I have looked into sitz baths but I haven't found a whole lot, except adding TONS of herbs. Is there any ONE thing I can add to a sitz bath? I have heard that ice packs are vital to reduce swelling and promote healing, but I have also heard that swelling is natural and brings the skin together to heal easier. I have been going to an OBGYN for prenatal care, but I haven't told her about my UC plans. I don't want any negative opinions going into this, so I plan to just tell her once I give birth. Do I just call up and say "Hey, I had him at home, I need a postnatal check-up"? Any other helpful words of advice? I plan to give birth in a tub with no one except for my husband there. 

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2

lactivist.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.giffamilybed2.gif

#2 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 04:44 PM

Congratulations on your baby boy smile.gif You have a lot of questions, which is understandable. I will try to address as many as I can:

-From what I've read, many women have had successful VBACs when only 14 months from their c-section. There are also many doctors who are against this. I, personally, would feel okay with a UC in this situation as long as I'm watching for signs of rupture: http://m.birth.com.au/Ruptured-uterus/Signs-of-uterine-rupture#A2H and if I live very close to a hospital. Rupture is rare, even in births that are a short time apart, I think its roughly 1% and only half of those ruptures are life-threatening. I might be off with the statistics given the fact I've never had a c-section so I havent looked into it much.

-Read up on "fetal ejection reflex" (google is good for this). It will help you understand how it happens. I can attest to it because both of my babies came out this way. I was relaxed, I let my body do all the work, when it was time to push my body would wait for a contraction and then an uncontrollable urge to bear down happened. After 2 or 3 contractions like this my babies were out. Very simple, no guesswork and I didnt tear.

-After he is born you can weigh him on a baby scale you buy or have a doctor do it when you take him. You can also see about having a midwife stop by within a day or two of the birth and do a basic newborn exam. This way you wont have to worry about going out with your baby so soon.

-Birth certificates have different requirements depending on your state and county. Look up your local vital statistics office. Most require proof of pregnancy (a letter from a doctor or midwife stating you were pregnant, ultrasound results, or the notes from a postpartum visit), proof of residency, and you'll need to go into the office with your baby and fill out their paperwork. I've done it twice, in two different counties of California. It was easy, they didnt question why it was unattended, I just filled out the paperwork. I made sure to call within 10 days because that was the requirement but they were not strict about this. I ended up not going in until a month or so after their births because that was their next available appointments (which was more than fine by me haha).

-For postpartum pain, I use a sitz bath spray: http://www.motherlove.com/product/1911-Sitz-Bath-Spray.html This is super easy to use (just spray it where you're sore) and helps a lot with the pain. I've also heard that putting some witch hazel or Tucks pads with your postpartum pads will help a lot with healing of minor tears and swelling. Raw honey or seaweed is great for tears that need a little extra TLC. You can either go get a few stitches or use raw honey or seaweed, if you have a tear that requires that.

--as for seeing your doctor after the birth, I would just tell her the birth happened so fast you couldn't get to the hospital in time. If you're not planning to go in immediately after then you might be better off not showing up at all, especially if you dont want your baby messed with. If you go in after the birth then they will want to do tests and whatever else to your baby, which I'm not sure you're comfortable with. If you wait a few days or so then they might see you as negligent and they will probably hold your baby longer for tests and observation and possibly have CPS question you. Unless you're going to completely play by their rules then expect them to be alarmed, becoming more alarmed each day that passes when you havent either shown up in labor or immediately after. If you want to have an ongoing relationship with this doctor then i recommend you go in as soon as you can after the birth and allow yourself to be examined. You can refuse to have your baby examined which might be difficult, you could allow a basic exam just to get them off your back. You dont HAVE to go in, but this will definitely strain your relationship with the doctor, if that matters to you at all.
#3 of 4 Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 PM

I have had five babies at home, and they were all more than nine pounds (3 of them were over 10 pounds).  I tore with two of them and didn't with three.  I don't think you are doomed to tear with a big baby- my last was 10 pounds 8 ounces and slid right out with no tearing and I felt great afterwards.  

The pp did a great job of answering all your questions.  You can also order sitz bath herbs prepackaged for you- it's so soothing and smells so good.  You just heat them up with water on the stovetop and add it to a shallow bath.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#4 of 4 Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 AM

my last two babys where 10.14 pounds and 11.7 and i did not tear. I had water birth with my 11.7 and i think the warm water helped me relax. My 10.14 pounder I had olive oil applied to my perineum and i think that helped. I just want to encourage you that you can have a big baby without tearing! For after pains I saw on the website inhishands.com had a tincture that helped with after pains. My last birth my friend made after sitz bath herbs for me and put them on my pads and then froze them. Putting a frozen pad on with those herbs on it felt so good for the 1st week after birth!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page