Fourth Baby, First UC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I am about 12 weeks pregnant with our 4th child, due around Christmastime. My other three (ages 3, 2, and 8 months!) have all been born at home with my husband and my mom, who is a lay midwife. This time, we're planning an unassisted birth and we're so excited!!

I went to my first prenatal appointment today which went really well. When my doctor asked my plans I told her I'd like to see her for my prenatal care if possible and that we plan on a homebirth with my mom, who is a midwife. I told her this because I feel the fewer people that know about our planned UC, the better. Unfortunately, she said that she's not able to do prenatal care for homebirths, which stinks because I really liked her! I was mostly going for shadow care just in case of a transfer. Anyways, after looking around, I don't think anyone will take me for prenatal care only and my options are limited because I'm on Medicaid. I don't really want to lie either and have an "oops" homebirth. I don't judge anyone who has done that, it's just not me, especially since I've only done homebirths and don't want the doctor to be suspicious.

I'm now thinking more strongly about doing my own prenatal care, which isn't that big of deal to me. I'm 26, overweight but healthy, and have had great pregnancies and labors. The only problem in had last pregnancies was water retention and itchy legs!!

I've never been big on ultrasounds but just learned more about placenta previa from lots of reading through the past posts on this forum. Do any of you worry about things like this or anything else, especially those that do UP?

Any suggestions, encouragement, words of advice? Thank you!! ūüėä
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 03:05 PM

I'm have a UP and I am planning on my instincts helping to keep me in check. I think my body will know if anything is wrong. I am doing my own prenatal care. I am an RN, so I have access to check my vital signs, I ordered urine strips to keep track of protien and glucose, and I measure fundal height.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I have an appointment next week to get an ultrasound and labs done...after that I'm just going to go with my instinct. I do want to get some urine strips, maybe a fetascope (sp?) too. I'll probably just do my blood pressure at Walmart, we'll see!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 PM

congrats on baby number 4!! This is also my 1st time with uc. I'm due early december with baby number 5. I'm reading a good book called Unassited Childbirth: An act of love. I'm really enjoying it. I'm doing shadow care with an OB but I have to keep my plans a secret. Obs will not go down for that. I dont plan on seeing them for much longer. I was looking into this: http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/ A good diet can really help! I herd you can get good info on prenatal care with that book called hearts and hands. I have not got that book yet. Hope to continue to share encroagment with you!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks and congrats to you also! Thanks for the link, I'll have to look more into it. I read the book "Unassisted Childbirth: An Act of Love" during my last pregnancy and really became interested in UC then. On top of being interested in it, I didn't like how my birth went last time...I love and appreciate my mom as my midwife, it's a great bond, but I just didn't like the presence of someone other than my husband and myself. I just like my privacy! ūüėä
Old 07-06-2013, 05:15 PM

When we were tossing up whether or not to have an ultrasound with our last (which we decided on anyway, knowing full well that they miss a large number of major anomalies) I mentioned placenta praevia to our experienced teaching midwife. She felt that that alone wasn't a good reason for getting an ultrasound as there are other ways to diagnose placenta praevia and there will usually be bleeding involved. I suspect that ultrasound just causes a lot of unnecessary panic about 'possible' praevias at 20 weeks gestation that have plenty of time to resolve themselves. But that was just one midwife's opinion. There are other reasons to consider ultrasounds, but none are foolproof, and it's not a guarantee of a healthy baby - but if it gives you reassurance, go for it.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:48 PM

I got regular prenatal care with an OB for my last two pregnancies, and I had the same one each time.  (I'm also on MA.)  I just didn't tell them that I didn't plan to birth with them, and nothing was said about it for my second pregnancy.  He just did his job (my prenatal care) and didn't push the subject.  He even answered a butt load of questions for me just to humor me.  Lol.  Anyway I don't see anything wrong with seeking prenatal care from an OB if that's what you want...I'm actually surprised that one wouldn't see you just because you didn't want to birth with them.  What's wrong with only seeing an OB for prenatal care? =/

Anyway, I'm doing my own prenatal care this time, too (due January 2nd with my fourth).  And I take my blood pressure at Walmart (I also happen to work there).  Works just fine! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achelois View Post

When we were tossing up whether or not to have an ultrasound with our last (which we decided on anyway, knowing full well that they miss a large number of major anomalies) I mentioned placenta praevia to our experienced teaching midwife. She felt that that alone wasn't a good reason for getting an ultrasound as there are other ways to diagnose placenta praevia and there will usually be bleeding involved. I suspect that ultrasound just causes a lot of unnecessary panic about 'possible' praevias at 20 weeks gestation that have plenty of time to resolve themselves. But that was just one midwife's opinion. There are other reasons to consider ultrasounds, but none are foolproof, and it's not a guarantee of a healthy baby - but if it gives you reassurance, go for it.

I agree with this.  A previa wouldn't go undetected, and even if you somehow didn't bleed during your pregnancy, you would definitely start bleeding from it during labor.  Bleeding during labor other than a little bloody show warrants a trip to the hospital - problem solved.

Aside from that, there can be good reasons to get an anatomy scan done at 20 weeks.  It just depends on what you are comfortable with.  I've been thinking about it, but I really want to just trust my body this time...what an interesting journey it is turning out to be.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had a UC with my 4th on Christmas Eve. Just wanted to say good luck! smile.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 07-07-2013, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

I have decided to just do my own prenatal care. I know my body, and I am well educated in pregnancy and birth, and continue to do so! smile.gif

I did get an ultrasound at 13 weeks because they wanted to set it up and I thought, why not? They really couldn't do too much but from what they could tell everything looks good! Honestly though, even if something was "wrong" with the baby, we'd still love and cherish him or her. I've decided that this was the last ultrasound I will ever do in my life unless necessary because I just don't like how they put so much pressure right on the baby, it's so uncomfortable! They've never been very gentle with me and I also don't like interfering with the baby. Anyways, I'm really not too concerned with placenta previa I guess, its just something i never really understood until recently. I've never had a problem with it before and I assume I will know if something isn't right.

Thanks again for your comments, I appreciate it! smile.gif
Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 PM

I'm pregnant with my fourth and due in December too (very end of the month!) So far I have been UP with this pregnancy as well. I just don't feel the need to go see someone every 4 weeks for them to tell me everything is fine. I check my BP, measure fundal height, and listen to the heartbeat myself; that's all I'd have done with a ob or mw anyway. I'm not interested in genetic testing or any other tests they provide. I am getting an u/s next week at 16 weeks but that's only because I'm dying to know the gender! With my DD I didn't want to know so didn't have an u/s but with this one I've wanted to know since I got pregnant. It's totally unnecessary but I just can't wait any longer!

Good luck!!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 07-10-2013, 07:56 AM

We just had our 4th/ 1st UC last month, & doing our own prenatal care made it the happiest, most stress free pregnancy of the 4. Enjoy!

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

Old 07-12-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats to both of you! This has definitely been my most enjoyable pregnancy so far as well. I feel more connected with my body than ever before!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:35 PM

I'm due with my 6th around Christmas!  I do my own prenatal care too, but I did establish care with my family doc who does deliveries so that if something does come up, I can call her and not end up in the ER.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

Old 09-27-2013, 12:20 PM

WOW! I felt like I just read my own post! I am on my 4th and I am using prenatal care with a midwife/office because I have medicade. I would love to hear how your story turned out!

Old 09-27-2013, 02:59 PM

As far as I was aware most places won't see you if you plan a uc, but who knows. I was trying to settle with a birth house with midwives but to me they didn't seem much better than drs, still pushy and want to do all this testing and vaccines and require monthly, biweekly, then weekly visits. I think it's all for the money honestly. Decided uc is the way for me. I did go to my prenatal appointments and have the 20 week ultrasound so I know all is healthy and I'm having a boy. Am thinking next time though I'll go without. Looking forward to my uc mid December!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

I've been doing my own prenatal care since I first wrote this post. I'm currently 27.5 weeks pregnant and everything is going well! I've been checking my blood pressure which is good and baby's heartbeat has been in the 150's so that's good. Baby is starting to make grand movements and playing around which is comforting and cute. I'm excited. smile.gif
Old 11-14-2013, 10:39 PM

How do you check your own bp? WIth a digital BP cuff?

Old 11-14-2013, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcatcher View Post

How do you check your own bp? WIth a digital BP cuff?

Yep. My.last 2 were up/uc

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post

Yep. My.last 2 were up/uc

ok cause I have a manual BP cuff and stethoscope and no way I'd be able to check my own BP that way. lol

Old 11-15-2013, 06:49 AM

I used the one at the pharmacy until Husband bought us our own cuff. He watched a youtube tutorial before they covered that in his EMT course.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

Old 11-15-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

I've also used the Walmart ones a couple times. wink1.gif
Old 11-15-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcatcher View Post

ok cause I have a manual BP cuff and stethoscope and no way I'd be able to check my own BP that way. lol

Its tricky but possible lol I bought a electronic one for cheap on amazon

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

User Tag List