Mothering Forum banner

Magnesium

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  xxusernamegoesherexx 
#1 ·
I have had some signs of what I think is preterm labor. This is my fourth delivery, and I realize that the pains I'm feeling could be very strong Braxton hicks. I'm 24 weeks along right now, and have been having painful, tightening contractions for a couple weeks now. I have gone through spurts of up to 7 in an hour. It has worried me, even though I have been told by people with 4+ children that it is normal to get BH more often and for them to be more painful the more babies you have. Is this true?? I go some days only having one or two, but typically they can stop me in my tracks. I read that taking a magnesium and calcium supplement until 37 weeks every day can help to prevent preterm labor. I bought some very good quality supplements at the health food store, and plan to start them today. Has anyone ever heard of this being helpful? I plan to continue my UP unless I think actual labor has started. Everything else is going perfectly this pregnancy, and I will not give up my plan for UP/UC unless there are very obvious reasons to go be seen. My instincts tell me that I can control this and I will be fine. I am just curious if anyone else has experienced this, and what you recommend??

#2 ·
I have heard of having more painful false contractions even earlier on with subsequent pregnancies. I personally had regular, painful contractions off and on about 3-4 weeks before I had my second baby. They would even come regularly, but they never got more intense or closer together, so I just knew it wasn't labor. I would definitely take cal/mag.

Are you able to check your own cervix to see if what you've been experiencing has lead to anything? If you are feeling very concerned, I'd er on the side of caution and get checked out.

#4 ·
I have come to know that stress can be one of the reasons of Magnesium deficiency. Because stressful situation needs more Magnesium Minerals usage in our bodies and such situations can lead to deficiency and it can be both psychological and physical type of stress, for example, burns, chronic disease and surgery.

#7 ·
I personally started using magnesium chloride bath flakes this pregnancy, and I have noticed a huge difference in how I feel. Maybe also try drinking raspberry leaf tea? Traditional Medicinals makes some good Pregnancy Tea.

I also noticed BH's a lot earlier, more frequent, and stronger with each subsequent pregnancy. If you don't feel like the contractions are doing anything, I wouldn't say it's preterm labor. Pay attention and listen to your body. I had a lot of times (even as early as 5-6 months pg) where I feared the same thing, but they were just strong BH's, sometimes coming regularly and/or close together for an hour or two.

#8 ·
Ditto, with my 4th pregnancy... I had strong BH contractions at 16 weeks. It was indeed preterm labor, I'd found out at the hospital (Im sure the nurse shoving her fingers into my cervix for the roughest exam ever didn't help either...) BUT, I did find magnesium citrate to noticably put a stop to the contractions, or at least slow them way down. I made it to nearly 37 weeks. I read that oral Magnesium citrate is better than other forms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.