Water broke, yellow colored, 8 hours ago, no labor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-29-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been reading and reading and seem to not be able to get a clear answer. My water broke this morning and it was bright yellow. Could this mean there is meconium in the amniotic fluid? If there is, then is it really that bad? I am so discouraged right now. The last few weeks I have been having contractions all day every day. For the last 4ish days they have been alternating between hours of very intense contractions and hours of milder contractions. It has been hard to go out and do anything. My water has been leaking for a few days at least and finally gushed everywhere multiple times this morning. Once my water broke, I had very intense contractions that I had to vocalize through and then POOF, they were gone. I am so sick of them getting strong and regular and getting my hopes up and then having them disappear. I'm also concerned because ever since I lost my mucus plug about a week ago, I have been having A LOT of very think yellow mucus come out every time I go pee. 

I was due 4 days ago. My baby is active and I feel healthy. I have tried everything to stimulate labor. I've tried sex, walking up and down hills and steps, jogging, bouncing, dancing, electric breast pump, evening primrose oil, and even castor oil. My water has been leaking for days and now that it has actually broken, I'm wondering how long this could possibly last!! Also concerned about the yellow color.

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2

lactivist.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.giffamilybed2.gif

#2 of 20 Old 06-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

From Webmd... http://www.webmd.com/baby/labor

Quote:
Amniotic fluid that has a foul odor or is yellow or green indicates infection or the presence of meconium, or ''little baby poop."

and

Quote:

If the amniotic fluid is brownish-yellow, green, or any other color, the expectant mother should go to the hospital right away, and consult a physician. She is also advised to note the color of the fluid and the time when the leaking began, and give out the details to the doctor. If the water is broken on completion of the term, the physician will usually deliver the baby within 24 hours in order to avoid the risk of infection. Besides, there are several over-the-counter products available to test, whether the fluid is urine, or amniotic fluid. It is always recommended that one avails these tests to ensure the health of the baby.
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/leaking-amniotic-fluid.html

That was the two sources I found via google. Can you go in and get checked to see what is going on?

eta: not trying to scare you away from your uc, I would just personally want to go in to make sure everything was okay.

#3 of 20 Old 06-29-2013, 07:00 PM

Ally, i was just about to write to you and see how you're doing. I can see why you're confused and wondering what to do. I've personally never experienced bright yellow amniotic fluid, so i just researched some possibilities: you should make sure the yellow fluid is really your water and not urine, a lot of people mistake urine for their amniotic fluid, which can make the yellow color alarming when theres actually nothing wrong. I would check the smell--bitter, acidic, ammonia smell is urine, a sweet, light smell is amniotic fluid. Urine and amniotic fluid can get mixed together, too, which can make your water seem yellow-colored. Do you have any of those ph tests? If so use one to see if its urine or amniotic fluid.

The good news is they say most of the time if its yellow then its urine, but you still want to make sure what it is. Also, you can try stopping the flow when it happens, that'll tell you if its urine or amniotic fluid. If you determine it really is amniotic fluid or if you're still confused then its best to go see your doctor. It could be an infection. The fact that you've had a ton of thick yellow mucus when you go pee sounds like it could be a sign of an infection, so seeing your doctor is probably best. You dont have to stay, just go get checked out, see what they say and then make your own decision. Big hug.gif! I'll be thinking about you and sending you lots of love. I'm sure you'll be holding your baby very soon smile.gif
#4 of 20 Old 06-29-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

A few days ago I had a few small gushes and I knew it was my water leaking. I talked to a couple people the night before who got me paranoid. So I decided to go to the hospital and they told me I was positive for amniotic fluid. But I mostly went to the hospital just to see if he was ok and he was so I asked to be discharged. They weren't very happy about it, but I got discharged. What happened this morning were very large gushes. I soaked my pants and later a couple of heavy pads. The mucus has gone away within the last couple hours after days of having it. What would the doctor do? I really don't want to go back to the hospital, but I do want to do what's best for the baby. They can't test for infection, right? All we would have to go on is what I feel. So since I feel fine, there's no way of knowing. Could the baby be at risk for infection or just me?

Thanks for the encouragement :) I hope I get to meet him soon.

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

#5 of 20 Old 06-29-2013, 08:45 PM

If there is an infection, both of you would be at risk from it. I don't know what the hospital would do to assess it though.

AllyFolsom likes this.

#6 of 20 Old 06-29-2013, 09:16 PM

Yes, they can test for infection and if there is infection it could harm both the baby and yourself. If you're feeling okay, no fever or sharp pains, then there probably isnt an infection. However, i wouldnt use that as a perfect rule unless you have strong intuition. I would go in and make sure everything is okay just for peace of mind, but thats me. You can always leave even if they're against it.
AllyFolsom likes this.
#7 of 20 Old 06-30-2013, 01:30 PM

How are you doing today, Ally? Have you had your baby yet? love.gif
#8 of 20 Old 07-03-2013, 06:56 PM

Hope you are doing okay. 

#9 of 20 Old 07-05-2013, 05:47 AM

a few hours after my mucus plug went out, my labor started and a few more hours I have my baby by my side.  Hope all is well with you and your baby Ally.  Hope to hear from you soon. :)

#10 of 20 Old 07-05-2013, 10:16 PM

I really hope you let us know how it went.  Bright yellow amniotic fluid is no joke and you needed medical attention.  Please update.

#11 of 20 Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 PM

Hoping for an update...I've heard of a lot of cases where meconium was present and the mother/midwife wasn't concerned as long as the baby was fine and not showing signs of distress.

Here's an interesting birth story that involved thick meconium and ruptured membranes for several days.

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/intuition.html

#12 of 20 Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 PM

Hoping for a happy update. Please let us know!

Almi, it is irresponsible to suggest that thick mec & membranes ruptured for days is okay. I'm sure sometimes there are acceptable outcomes in thses situations, but when the outcomes are not happy, people are less likely to discuss them. Anecdata and one off stories should not be offered as evidence in situations like this. It is dangerous to counsel vulnerable women like this.
Jo Mama likes this.
#13 of 20 Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 PM

I don't think Almi was trying to tell the OP what to do, she was simply letting her know that there might not be a reason to immediately stress. Plenty of people fear monger in situations like this, i find it refreshing to see other perspectives. I hope that women who choose to UC aren't so easily persuaded that you cant give an opinion without them clinging to it without thought or proper reasoning.

ETA: if you had actually read the story that she linked to you would have seen that the focal point is listening to one's intuition. If that mother hadn't paid such close attention to her intuition her baby would have died, even the presence of doctors probably wouldn't have helped because the urgency of getting her baby out was too great (and she also probably wouldn't have listened to her intuition with other people being in control). The owner of the website expressed how important it is to listen to one's intuition and subsequently tune out the opinions of others.
dalia likes this.
#14 of 20 Old 07-12-2013, 11:43 AM

Seems to me OP came here seeking opinions on what to do. I'm just saying don't give bad advice and dangerous encouragement to a vulnerable lady in labour. I think it's important to listen to your intuition, sure, but when the situation is borderline could-be-very-dangerous and someone is asking for input, it is important to encourage them to seek help. Afterall, her intuition encouraged her to ask for input, right? I would hate to tell someone "No worries, mama! Trust your body!" and have her listen to her own (or to baby's) detriment. Which is why, i was under the impression that threads like this (where posters are in labour, asking for advice) were not permitted at Mothering. Too much room for catastrphically bad advice...
cyclamen and Jo Mama like this.
#15 of 20 Old 07-12-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairyswizzle View Post

Seems to me OP came here seeking opinions on what to do. I'm just saying don't give bad advice and dangerous encouragement to a vulnerable lady in labour. I think it's important to listen to your intuition, sure, but when the situation is borderline could-be-very-dangerous and someone is asking for input, it is important to encourage them to seek help. Afterall, her intuition encouraged her to ask for input, right? I would hate to tell someone "No worries, mama! Trust your body!" and have her listen to her own (or to baby's) detriment. Which is why, i was under the impression that threads like this (where posters are in labour, asking for advice) were not permitted at Mothering. Too much room for catastrphically bad advice...

Opinions are not the same as telling someone what to do. I have sought opinions on different subjects, but that doesnt necessarily mean i was looking to be told what to do. Most of the time i do it for the purpose of understanding better what i am experiencing, and from that i make my own decisions. So i personally never assume its my responsibility to tell someone what to do, just offer my own opinion.

Where did you get the idea that listening to one's intuition is the same as "No worries! Trust your body!"? That is completely false and maybe if you had actually read the story that was linked to, you would have a better understanding now of what it means. Intuition is about tuning in and sensing what the best course of action is in the moment. In the case of the mother in the story, she felt an overwhelming urge to push her baby out immediately. Her baby would have died if she hadnt listened because her placenta had partially detached and when the baby shot out a moment later, the cord was already limp. Thus, listening to her intuition saved her baby. If she had been in a hospital the doctors wouldnt have been able to help in time because it all happened so quickly. She also probably wouldnt have listened to herself, given the hospital setting. So, no, intuition is not sitting around with your thumb up your butt, its actively listening and acting on what you sense.

If threads like this werent allowed then a mod would have closed it by now or asked people to edit their posts. It looks to me like its alright for someone to ask for opinions because its NOT the same as telling someone what to do. If we all were supposed to be little parrots and give a chorus of "seek medical attention" then what would be the point of having varying opinions? The answer is not always to seek medical attention, like in the case of the story that was linked to and in many other stories i've come across.
rlschrader likes this.
#16 of 20 Old 07-14-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

I am so sorry I haven't updated! I wasn't keeping up with my emails and didn't realize I was making people worry. All is well, the baby and I are healthy and happy. I will post a birth story when I have more time. My kids are keeping me busy! wink1.gif Thank you everyone for your advice and concern.
fruitfulmomma and CLatels like this.

#17 of 20 Old 07-22-2013, 12:53 PM

Looking forward to reading it.  Glad everything turned out well!

#18 of 20 Old 08-10-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry it took so long, but I finally was able to write out my full birth story and it's up on the UC forum.

#19 of 20 Old 08-10-2013, 11:54 PM

fairyswizzle - I was just bringing some positive light to this matter.  I thought I'd point out that usually, meconium isn't anything to worry about.  It can help to calm a nervous mother (in labor or impending labor) so she can stop and think and listen to her body.  It is difficult to do that if you are panicky or anxious.  Trusting your body doesn't mean you do nothing, it means you listen to what it has to say and you take it seriously.  I wasn't telling anyone what to do.  Telling her she should go to the hospital is telling her what to do.  (And going to the hospital isn't always the best option in every situation, so I don't think telling her that would be right of me, either.)  I was simply sharing my input and information on the matter, not only for her, but also for anyone that is interested.

AllyFolsom likes this.
#20 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Congratulations on your new baby!

AllyFolsom likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page