more UC questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first UC....I'm running it of time and want to be prepared....i know how to file for a birth certificate and ss card but do i register the birth somewhere or anything? I know the hospital does the foot print cards and what not, do i have to do that at home too? Or does getting the birth certificate automatically register the birth? (sorry i know probably stupid questions)....and what about getting the baby on state insurance? The hospital automatically puts baby on it, is it difficult to get them on it after a UC? And how soon after birth do i need to get the baby into the pedi? Right away? I know i can go anytime but I'm not sure about baby, obviously asap if i suspect anything is wrong...and what do i say about the birth and what not when I'm asked....will it cause concern and end up involving cps? That's my biggest concern....it's my body and my baby and if everything is fine then they shouldn't get involved, but i know that doctors don't see it that way....if anyone can give me more information i would greatly appreciate it...thank you in advance!!!
#2 of 4 Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 AM

I have no answers but hopefully bumping this up will get you some. I am also following ;-) Thanks for asking all this. 

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#3 of 4 Old 07-22-2013, 11:36 AM

It might vary by state. Here in NC my husband filled out the birth cert. at the county health department. He just walked in & said we had a homebirth w/ out having to show proof of pregnancy or even me or the baby. She just smiled & said homebirths were becoming more common (though illegal. I don't think she knew that.) That's the only registration you need for the birth itself, you'll probably need it for insurance.

We decided against a SSN, it's only for tax purposes & we don't pay taxes. She can register herself if she wants to when she's of age & wants her own job.

The hand & footprint is purely a memento. You can get your child printed at the police or sheriffs office if you're worried about kidnapping.

The pedi is optional unless you want to vax on schedule. I wanted the appt. w/out vaxing & they worked us in as soon as they could, a week after she was born. Things move slow here.smile.gif

Doctors & nurses here were shocked & thought we were crazy but impressed after hearing our prenatal care set up & seeing the records we kept. Having a healthy baby to show, having a previous HB & Husband just finishing EMT training probably helped us too.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#4 of 4 Old 07-22-2013, 01:34 PM

In California, where i live, i haven't had any issues with doctors when it comes to my UCs. Even when my first needed to be in the NICU for a day when he was first born and i was too out of it to lie, they didn't threaten me. That was actually a conservative, Catholic hospital. They were definitely alarmed about it (the nurse i spoke with was more alarmed that i didnt have any formal prenatal care, she wasn't that shocked about the UC, strange, huh?). His pedi was crunchy so there wasn't any judgment. If you feel scared, though, you can always say your baby came very fast so you didn't have any choice but to give birth unassisted. Most of the time, from the stories I've read, CPS does not get called, even if people figure out it was a planned UC. On top of that, just because CPS get called that doesn't mean they will take your baby away. That is their last resort; its not what they want to do. What they want is to make sure your baby is doing well. If they suspect there's an issue with his/her health they will probably just ask you to take them to a pedi. Healthy babies with healthy moms don't get taken away.

Getting the birth certificate registers the birth, there's absolutely nothing else you have to do. Getting a SS card is optional.

I would call your insurance before your baby is born and ask how to put him/her on it yourself after they're born. This way you're not waiting until the last minute to figure that out. Its probably fairly simple but it helps to know.

You can take your baby to the pedi at any time, there is no rule. My daughter was perfectly healthy so i knew there wasn't a real need to take her right away. She didnt need to go for several months, actually. The doctor found it odd, but didn't make a big deal about it. Our fears often make things like this seem worse than they often are. It is your baby and you are responsible for his/her health, not the doctors. If you feel confident with being able to notice any problems then there's no reason to rush to the doctor. If you don't then a quick checkup is good for peace of mind.

Above all, remember that birth is rarely a true emergency, enjoy the process as much as you can and love is what your baby needs the most.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page