UC at 34 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 of 40 Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be 33 weeks on Thursday....after a self check i am about 4cm dilated and close to 60% effaced (guessing on the effacement)....all of my previous babies have been early.

My first was at 32 weeks after PROM, he spent 14 days in the NICU just to gain weight, had no breathing problems, he came home at 3 lbs 14 ounces....

My second son was born at 36 weeks (again PROM) at 5 lbs 4 ounces, he came home with me after a 24 hour hospital stay.

My 3rd son was born at 34 weeks after i went to the hospital to have him checked for lack of movement and a nurse that checked me was so forceful that she broke my water...he was born at 4 lbs. 1oz....he had oxygen blow by right after birth but was in the NICU for weight gain as well and came home after 14 days.

My last son was at 28 weeks due to a bad car accident and was in the NICU for 98 days came home on oxygen for 7 months....

Anyways has any mamas had babies at 34 or 35 weeks UC and have your babies had any breathing issues? I'm trying to make it to 36 weeks but I'm scared i won't....I'm pretty sure i would be comfortable at 34/35 weeks but I'm not sure....i would just like other mamas experiences....although my first three were premature they had no real difficulties and i ferrel that their NICU stay was prolonged due to collecting from insurance....even the nurses caring for my boys says that they didn't need to be there any longer but the doctors refused to release them....

We have all of our UC supplies ready, including a pulse ox (used for the car accident baby) that shows a number on the heart rate and oxygen levels, as well as unused and still packaged probes (i plan on using one during labor to check periodically just in case)....we also have oxygen on hand, one for me and one for baby just in case (with an infant regulator), masks, hosing, and infant cannulas still in packaging....

Do I'm just wondering if other mamas have done a UC this early....btw we are only 5 minutes from the hospital...any input would be greatly appreciated...thank you...

Also were expecting to get our first dose of steroid shots to mature his lungs
#2 of 40 Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 PM

I have no advice, but I am hoping your baby stays put for a few more weeks!! I had a 36 weeker that came home the day after delivery just fine. That's probably the earliest I would UC, but that's just me! Good luck to you!
#3 of 40 Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk51673 View Post

I have no advice, but I am hoping your baby stays put for a few more weeks!! I had a 36 weeker that came home the day after delivery just fine. That's probably the earliest I would UC, but that's just me! Good luck to you!

Thank you!! I'm hoping he stays in there a couple more weeks at least to bit i just am trying to be prepared just in case
#4 of 40 Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 PM

I understand. I am almost 32 weeks. I am doing my first UP/UC, and I don't think I will UC unless I am 37 weeks. That is just where I am comfortable. You will have to make the decision for your family. Maybe you can take it really easy the next few weeks, take some calcium and vitamin C, and try to hold the baby in for a little longer this time smile.gif Best of luck to you!!
#5 of 40 Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi! Sounds to me you may have mild cervical incompetence. Eitherway, try not to explore yourself too often, to prevent PROM, and maybe if you take it easy you can hold the baby in for a few more weeks. I wouldn't be confortable with UC at least until 36 weeks, but that's just me. Good luck!
#6 of 40 Old 07-31-2013, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anablis View Post

Hi! Sounds to me you may have mild cervical incompetence. Eitherway, try not to explore yourself too often, to prevent PROM, and maybe if you take it easy you can hold the baby in for a few more weeks. I wouldn't be confortable with UC at least until 36 weeks, but that's just me. Good luck!

i only check after severe Braxton Hicks which has been about two weeks now....and I've made it to 33 weeks....I'm still trying to hold on....just 3 more weeks at least....I'm trying to stay positive and relax as much as possible....my progesterone injections are stopped at 36 weeks and I've heard that once those are stopped it's usually shortly after that labor starts...i don't know I've also heard that progesterone causes babies to be larger to but I'm not sure about that either...anyways thank you!!
#7 of 40 Old 07-31-2013, 05:59 AM

i think a big part of it is that you're had previous pre-term births with few, if any, complications. My second was was a UC at 36 weeks, the first having been born just shy of 37. I was a little nervous about possible breathing problems, but my first had been fine. I also had a friend and all seven of her babies came at 37 weeks, with one going a little longer because she was on bed rest. If it is cervical incompetence (boy, how I hate that term), you might want to try and keep your feet up. Also, if nothing else is doing it, a small glass of wine might help ease off the contractions. I've never tried it, but it could be worth looking into.
#8 of 40 Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynHeud View Post

i think a big part of it is that you're had previous pre-term births with few, if any, complications. My second was was a UC at 36 weeks, the first having been born just shy of 37. I was a little nervous about possible breathing problems, but my first had been fine. I also had a friend and all seven of her babies came at 37 weeks, with one going a little longer because she was on bed rest. If it is cervical incompetence (boy, how I hate that term), you might want to try and keep your feet up. Also, if nothing else is doing it, a small glass of wine might help ease off the contractions. I've never tried it, but it could be worth looking into.

I know its a horrible word...I'm keeping myself on basically strict bed rest..i only leave the house once a week to get my progesterone injection...I'm going to get sine wine and try that if contractions do start...but as long as I'm not on my feet i don't have any contractions...and being on my feet lightly is ok too but any longer than like 20 minutes and they start....i think I'm doing ok just nervous and praying i can make it a little longer...
#9 of 40 Old 07-31-2013, 08:44 AM

I wouldnt UC any earlier than 36 weeks but thats just me

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#10 of 40 Old 08-01-2013, 04:33 PM

Given your history and the fact that you do have oxygen on-hand, I would be comfortable UCing that early if it was me. If baby does appear to have breathing problems that aren't relieved with the O2 you have there's nothing to stop you from going to the hospital after the fact.

Although, I do hope you LO stays put for another few weeks so it's not an issue for you.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#11 of 40 Old 08-01-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

My doctor just got the approval for the steroid injections to mature babys and i will get my first injection next Wednesday (i will be 33.6 weeks) I'm excited because that improves babys chances if he does come early
#12 of 40 Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It doesn't really matter much for baby if there is an O2 tank present. What matters is a bag valve mask and a person skilled in neonatal resuscitation. It is a lot different to start a neonate breathing than to support a stable infant. You could really damage a baby with pure O2. At hospitals they use a mixer so they can control the concentration of oxygen.

I don't think you should rely on your other babies' good outcomes to feel that a 34 weeker will start breathing with no big problems. I'm not posting against UC! But yikes, preemies can be dodgy, and a 34 weeker born in a hospital with access to a level 2 NICU has such a good shot at coming through it healthy.

Here's hoping your baby stays put a few more weeks!

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#13 of 40 Old 08-05-2013, 07:26 PM

Honestly? As the parent of a 36-weeker who did not breathe on his own for four hours after birth? I think you're out of your ever-loving mind, and I hope you come to your senses and rethink this plan. The risk is too high.
chel, cyclamen, ananas and 2 others like this.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#14 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 01:32 PM

That's great about the steroid infections. the friend who's babies came at 37 weeks all had breathing issues except the ones who had the injections. She asked for them with number 7 and was denied and when he was born at 37 weeks, had underdeveloped lungs and had to stay in hospital for another month. Good on your doctor for getting that done for you. Keep us posted!
Kame89 likes this.
#15 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Is having a UC more important to you than potentially having a healthy baby? I think the risks are too great - possible preterm, VBAC, history of preterm babies...

I don't think this is a good idea. UC is one thing, but with the other risk factors involved, this seems very dangerous. Please consider the safety and well being of yourself and your child.

I wish you a safe and happy delivery.
Jo Mama likes this.
#16 of 40 Old 08-07-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Tomorrow i will be 34 weeks....YYYAAAHHH!!!! I got my first steroid injection today and getting the second tomorrow....although I'm showing multiple signs if the impending labor I'm feeling very positive....the doctor says that after 24-48 hours after the injection the lungs are much more mature and that if i were to have him after that there would be very little chance of any breathing difficulties....I'm trying to stay relaxed and calm to keep him in there a couple more weeks at least, but I've lost my appetite and food repulses me, I've been so nauseous (ginger is helping), babys head is fully engaged and i feel like there's a bowling ball in my vagina, I've had bloody show a couple days ago, and all i want to do is sleep but of course as soon as i lay down i can't get comfortable and just toss and turn and can't sleep....and although I'm miserable i want him to stay put a little while longer....my doctor has agreed to no cervical checks (due to a nurse breaking my water at 34 weeks in a previous pregnancy)....my doctor is awesome, i haven't directly told her we are planning a UC but i think she knows because she gives us little bits of advise at every appointment....I'm just hoping labor holds on a little longer!!!
Kame89 likes this.
#17 of 40 Old 08-09-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

I know the UC thread isn't very active but i figured i would update anyways....yesterday we seen the doctor and i got the second steroid shot...we were told that even going to the hospital they wouldn't stop delivery now....our growth ultrasound showed that baby is +5 pounds and completely healthy....even got to see him practice breathing!!!! Last night i started losing some pink tinged mucous and then lost more this morning (not due to cervical checks or sex).....I'm praying baby stays in there a little longer...one of my boys have a birthday on Sunday and i don't want to have a baby on his birthday....i would much rather wait until 36 weeks!!!
#18 of 40 Old 08-09-2013, 10:49 AM

Good luck! I really hope baby stays put a couple more weeks.
#19 of 40 Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 AM

Good luck! I really hope baby stays put a couple more weeks.
JenVose likes this.
#20 of 40 Old 08-13-2013, 07:50 PM

Supposedly, it is possible for a baby's lungs to be mature as early as 34 weeks.  I have heard of babies being born even earlier than that, and they had no problems breathing (earliest I know of is a friend of mine that had twins at 31.5...the boy was able to breathe but the girl needed help).  There have also been people that have had UC's as early as 34 weeks.  I am also somewhat in agreement that since you've had pretty good outcomes with preterm babies before, in your particular case, you would probably be fine having a baby that early whereas someone else might not.  Things need to be looked at on a case-by-case basis.  And like I said, listen to your intuition.

Personally, I just wait until that moment that I feel my baby's lungs are mature.  It happened about a week before my twins were born (they were born at 36.5, possibly up to a week earlier since I ovulate later in my cycle) and then again around 35-36 weeks with my third baby.  There is no explaining it.  One day I might feel that, "if I were to go into labor now, I would go to the hospital," and the next think, "if my baby were born now, he/she would be fine."  So I am one to rely very much on my intuition for that one.  If I intuitively felt my baby's lungs were mature at 34 weeks, I'd probably go for it.  But no earlier than 34 no matter what.

Btw I did UC my twins, both were born with no breathing difficulties and one of them was 4 lbs, 2 oz.  Both babies gained 2.5 lbs in the first four weeks off of EBF, so I'm not sure why they'd keep a baby just for weight gain...kind of silly since the baby has a better chance of weight gain by being undisturbed, slept with, breastfed and kangaroo'd by mommy.

#21 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 10:54 AM

I found this really interesting because I also knew when my baby's lungs were mature. It was also a week before I gave birth and her hiccups increased A LOT!! I would feel them every single day, as opposed to every once in a while.
KistheMum, Almi and ShaktiDevi like this.
#22 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 07:57 PM

In Spiritual Midwifery, Ina May suggests using alcohol to stop early labor.  I would also think bedrest would be of great benefit to you.  An ultrasound can tell you if baby's lungs are developed and give you an idea of his size.  I personally wouldn't want to do UC at less than 36 weeks but, I might choose to if in that situation.  I attended a 35 week UC and all was well, he weighed 4 lbs 3 oz and breathed right away.  I know you will take the necessary precautions and make the right decision for you and your lo.  Love and peace, sister.

And stay hydrated! So many early labors are caused by dehydration, fatigue, and stress.

Almi likes this.

fencing.gif

Shakti & Shiva dancing to this song since Beltaine 2011!

knit.gifFiona, 1/29/04,  modifiedartist.gifRosie, 7/26/05,  and another little  treehugger.gif expected in late November, 2013!

#23 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bedrest has never been shown to do anything to stop preterm labor. It definitely causes depression, muscle wasting, and DVTs.

Don't even know what to say about the alcohol suggestion. There are meds that can be prescribed that work better to put off birth for 48 hrs or so, while you do things like give steroids to help baby's lungs to mature or transport mom to a place with a level 2 or 3 NICU. Those meds don't depress the fetus like alcohol does.

Ultrasound can't tell you whether a preemies lungs are mature. It's not about size, it's whether the kid's making surfactant yet.

This thread has jumped the shark.
cyclamen and Jo Mama like this.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#24 of 40 Old 08-16-2013, 03:17 AM

More than one professional midwife has suggested booze for early labor.

Using ultrasound to detect lung development, a new method since 1991: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1469-0705.1991.01050345.x/pdf

Size of the baby has more to do with suckling issue and needing extra care from what I've seen.

Seems the above could be right about the bed rest (depending on the cause of prematurity), but do take it easy, Love. <3

fencing.gif

knit.gifFiona, 1/29/04,  modifiedartist.gifRosie, 7/26/05,  and another little  treehugger.gif expected in late November, 2013!

#25 of 40 Old 08-16-2013, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

I gave birth to my son on 8-14-13 © 10:31am unassisted at home at 35 weeks....he is 4 pounds 14 ounces and is perfect....he is breathing perfect and the pulse ox shows his oxygen and heart rate are perfect....he is holding his temperature great!!! he was sleepy for the first 12 hours so nursing was difficult as he wouldn't latch so i syringe fed him....now he's alert and active and nursing great!!!!
Sheepdoc, KistheMum, Almi and 2 others like this.
#26 of 40 Old 08-16-2013, 04:21 AM

So thrilled for you! joy.gif

fencing.gif

#27 of 40 Old 08-16-2013, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Glad for your safe delivery, hope your son continues to do well!

#28 of 40 Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 PM

Awesome, congrats!!  I can't wait for pics and story if you're willing to share. :)

As far as using alcohol to calm contractions - I've heard that a lot too.  A glass of wine or so.  Not getting drunk off your a$$.  Lol.

ShaktiDevi likes this.
#29 of 40 Old 08-16-2013, 02:29 PM

Congrats on your baby!!! I'm glad you got your UC without any bad outcomes!
#30 of 40 Old 08-17-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Tyrrell Omarion
8-14-13 10:31am
4 pounds 14 ounces
Picture an hour after birth

And here he is today...3 days old

Nursing like a pro
KistheMum, ShaktiDevi and JenVose like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page