My UBAC that didn't end as planned - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is the story of my attempted unassisted vaginal birth after cesarean. You probably shouldn't read it if you are planning your own UC, because my experience is uncommon, and it will only plant seeds of doubt in your mind. 

My daughter was born via scheduled c-section after my doctor claimed she was too big to fit through the birth canal. I was crushed because I was so looking forward to having a vaginal birth. She was 9 pounds 5 ounces, but in hindsight I learned that I had a choice, despite how the doctor made it seem. I was determined to have a vaginal birth for my son. Once I learned that medical interventions increases chances of a c-section, I decided to have him at home, unassisted. After spending my pregnancy researching unassisted birth, I was ready. I felt strong, confident, and determined.

I had been having contractions for weeks. They would get very strong and regular for hours and then subside. This would happen over and over again, making it hard to go out. On Tuesday, 6/25/13, I started leaking yellow fluid. After a couple days of this, I went to the hospital to check on my baby. The said I was leaking amniotic fluid, but the baby was fine so I left. On Saturday the 29th, my water broke and was yellow-colored. Labor didn't pick up until Sunday around 8:00. Addie went down for bed, and since my husband Josh started his new job the next day, he went to bed as well. Addie woke up in the worst mood and we called my mother-in-law to come get her. Josh went back to bed and I continued having strong labor in the living room. After Josh left for work, contractions got so strong I had to concentrate and vocalize to get through them. Then suddenly, they seemed to loose their strength. I was concerned because the amniotic fluid had turned dark green so since Josh had our car, my friend Julia took me to the hospital. They told me I was 5cm dilated, but since baby Damon was fine, I went home. When Julia and I got back home, labor magically picked up again. Josh came home from work, and they started filling the birthing tub. The whole thing was pretty fun. Contractions became very strong around 8:00pm Monday night. We thought for sure we would have a baby by midnight. Despite having very intense contractions, I was still having a great time in between them, and the mood was light. Then at maybe 11ish they got so strong, I though for sure I was in transition. I thought at any time I would begin pushing. Contractions suddenly became extremely intense. I would have a bunch of incredibly strong ones and then they would disappear for 10 minutes. Strong contractions. Break. Strong contractions. Break. Exhaustion. I don't know how I knew, but I kept saying that it felt like he was stuck. I did feel the urge to push, and pushed maybe 10 times. After a few hours of this I was completely exhausted. I had never heard of labor being so inconsistent and I was starting to get worried. Counter pressure wasn't helping, walking wasn't helping, and the birthing tub wasn't helping. I needed to be alone, so I went into the bathroom by myself and pushed for another 2 hours. After hours of this excruciating pain, we finally gave in and went to the hospital at 3:30am. The car ride to the hospital was depressing. I resigned myself to the fact that I was probably going to end up with another C-section. The first person to check me said I was 10 cm. I rushed into the bathroom a few times, convinced I had to use the toilet. Only after would I remember that the pressure I was feeling was the baby. The hospital staff were in a frenzy, readying things for the baby's arrival. The contractions continued being just as intense, but the pressure left. Another doctor checked me and told me I was only 8.5cm dilated, but that his head was not coming down. I was told later by a friend that a woman's cervix can dilate and "un-dilate". I don't know if that's true, but it sounds like what had been happening to me for hours. I just wanted it all to be over. I had been in such extreme pain for so long and I was SO exhausted. I got an epidural and I cannot convey the relief I felt. Every couple hours I was checked, and progress was incredibly slow. I was completely dilated with no progress for 2.5 hours. The doctor said he was stuck, and that if I were to push before his head was in the right position, he would become stuck even worse. With no other alternative, I finally gave in to having another c-section. The doctors had to put so much effort into prying my poor baby out. Two people had their forearms digging into my chest so hard that my face turned red and I couldn't breathe. The doctor was straining and using his whole body to get him out. I took quite a while, but they finally got him out. Hearing Damon's first cries were beautiful moments that I will never forget. I watched closely while the did their ridiculous medical assessments. A woman finally brought him to me and I spent the short time I had with him kissing his soft cheeks and telling him how much I love him. Then off he went, while I stayed behind getting put back together. It took about an hour for me to finally get to hold my precious baby. He nursed for 45 minutes and I just stared at him and talked to him.

Since my husband had started a new job and the training was mandatory, he missed Damon's birth. But when he held him for the first time, the love Josh felt for Damon was tangible.

Damon was born at 12:53pm on Tuesday July 2nd after 41 hours of labor. His head was cone-shaped with a big red bruise and his shoulders were very bruised. I regret that Damon had a stressful and painful introduction to this world. While I was disappointed that my UC didn't end ideally, I felt that unlike with Addie's section, this one was medically necessary. I am so proud of myself for getting as far as I did. I feel like I did accomplish something, and I gave it my all.

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2

lactivist.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.giffamilybed2.gif

#2 of 13 Old 08-10-2013, 07:40 PM

Hey, I just couldn't read your thread and not respond. You did one heck of a job trying to ubac. I totally sympathize with you. 4.5 weeks ago, I had my twins via a medically necessary section (breech and transverse presentations). I had wanted to uc, too, so I can imagine how disappointed you feel. You DID give it your all, don't let anyone say you didn't! And I am hoping to vbac the next time around. Maybe you will get another chance to ubac in the future. Best of luck to you, and congratulations on your son's birth.
ShaktiDevi and AllyFolsom like this.

TizTaz5, wife of a wonderful husband and mother of an angel (lost June '09) and two rainbow1284.gif babies born in July '13. Great things really do come in pairs!
#3 of 13 Old 08-10-2013, 08:48 PM

Oh Ally, you worked so very hard!  And yes, I would say your cesarean was medically necessary.  I'm so glad that Damon was born healthy.  

My fourth baby, our first UC, was a 40 hour labor too.  My contractions with that labor were also very inconsistent, and never got closer than 5 minutes together.  Luckily the way had been paved by big babies before him, for I could tell he was very big and was probably either in a position that was funky so wasn't putting even pressure on my cervix to attain consistent contractions, OR he was just really really big.  I think perhaps it was both!  I had to work very hard to birth him, and he was born bruised as well (and almost 11 pounds).  It was a very challenging birth for me; my whole body hurt afterwards and my pelvis was really messed up for a few weeks after.  Birth can be VERY hard work; we all just do our best.  

Congratulations on the arrival of your son!  

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#4 of 13 Old 08-11-2013, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Sometimes I get bummed out and think I went through all that just to have another section, but I just remind myself that I did give it my all. I hope you get your VBAC someday! As for me, I'd have to do a lot of research and prayer before attempting another UBAC. If I had to bet, I'd say I probably won't :( Congrats on your twins, what blessings!! If you are breastfeeding, I hope it's going well!

ShaktiDevi likes this.

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

#5 of 13 Old 08-11-2013, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

I can't imagine birthing an 11 pound baby, that is amazing. How weird that this society gives credit to people for all kinds of ridiculous stuff when there are women out there UCing 11 pound babies! That must have given you so much satisfaction! I have to admit I envy you!

KistheMum and JenVose like this.

#6 of 13 Old 08-12-2013, 07:46 AM

I am so glad that your baby was born healthy and safe.  Congratulations on a son!

AllyFolsom likes this.
#7 of 13 Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 AM

Glad everything turned out well!! Congrats on your little one!!! I also definitely think your c-section was necessary.
I'm glad your breastfeeding also is going well!
#8 of 13 Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Breastfeeding has been difficult but rewarding. He had his lip tie and tongue tie laser revised at 1 week and now at 6 weeks he is doing much better.

#9 of 13 Old 08-13-2013, 12:00 PM

Hey AllyFolsom, thanks for your congratulations, my girls are a huge blessing, but also a lot of responsibility at the same time, as are all kids, I would guess. These are my first surviving kids (my first was lost in a miscarriage), so I have nothing else to compare it to. Happy to hear your nursing is going well. I have both girls nursing on the Boppy right now, as a matter of fact. :-) I do have to supplement with formula, but I would guess that 90% of their sustenance comes from me. It is a satisfying feeling. I had to be sectioned but I can still nurse. In my mind, that makes up for the section, in some ways. Btw, I can understand your hesitance to try another ubac. I don't think I would attempt one, either--not an intentional one, anyway. Showing up at the hospital accidentally on purpose, now, that's another story. :-D

TizTaz5, wife of a wonderful husband and mother of an angel (lost June '09) and two rainbow1284.gif babies born in July '13. Great things really do come in pairs!
#10 of 13 Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 PM

At the last minute, accidentally, on purpose, I meant to say. Nothing like twins to fry a few brain cells LOL.

#11 of 13 Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 PM

You are amazing.  One strong woman.  Congrats, mama. :)

#12 of 13 Old 08-21-2013, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations on the birth of your son!  I'm sorry that your birth didn't go as planned but you are one awesome woman and I give you major kudos for hanging in there and giving it your all.  

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#13 of 13 Old 09-04-2013, 12:52 PM

You did beautifully. You gave it your all and did the hardest thing when you knew you had to. Congratulations and rest easy knowing that you have nothing to regret.

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page