My intro and questions about traveling *right* before a UC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-23-2013, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone! It's my first post in UC and first post on Mothering in a long time!
I'll kind of make this and intro/question post.

We've decided to UC (well, UBAC) this time around.

Birth History for background info:
#1 sorta drug free hospital birth (left AMA in the middle return to have baby) & they actually gave me demerol after the baby was out... odd situation nurse was totally lost and had no clue baby was out and shot me up. (One week overdue according to doctors dates, right on time according to my long cycle)
#2 Breech C/S no laboring (A few days early by my calculations)
#3 Successful, easy, HBAC of a 10lb 1 oz with a very crunchy hands-off midwife. (Pretty sure I was overdue. We never really knew dates... midwife didn't care... and NO I didn't have GD! He was just big.)

So we'd been planning to have a midwife and last minute realized we just didn't love ours and didn't really need one this time. I'm a doula and I am so lucky that my DH is super awesome and intuitive at being a support person, I really think he should be a midwife or a doula! I had OB care up to around 28 weeks, I am now 35w and don't plan on getting any further care. My EDD is Sept 24, based on my known date of conception.
I am planning to go on a LONG car trip from the northeast to the south for one week Sept 9-16 (when I will be 38 weeks) I will be attending a retreat where my husband and I have our own fully equipped (but somewhat bare) apartment/cabin I won't be in the middle of no where but it's not 5 mins from the hospital like I am at home (which is a comfort factor in our choice to UBAC)
I think the closest location is a birthing center 30 minutes away.

So here is my question: What would you pack or bring on this trip "just in case" you had the baby? I don't expect to have him, as you can see above I tend to be late rather than early. But I know we're cutting it close. Is there anything else special you would do? Not do? The trip there and back we will probably spend one night each way in a hotel too.

I am planning to take the birth kit, car seat, clothes for the baby, extra towels, a heating pad?... basically I am trying to think of all the comforts of home (which is one of my major reasons for having an HB at all!) and I am overwhelmed and really just can't even think of what to bring.
Oh and we're not telling anyone we're UCing they all know we're HBing. So all the people that will be at the retreat keep making comments about how I "better not having the baby there, ha ha" and I just find it annoying and think it'd be hilarious if I just woke up one morning and came to breakfast with a new baby!

There IS a local midwife there who is willing to do postpartum for a UC birth which I thought was very cool, I don't even have that option here! I am really not "ready" at home either, not that I *need* anything... I just haven't gathered stuff yet and set it aside or anything. So I am feeling kind of "huh?" about it all. I guess I need to figure out Birth Cert stuff in case I DO have it there... :/

I don't even know what I am asking exactly! I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for anything at all about my situation! :)

DS blahblah.gif 10/04, DD upsidedown.gif 05/08, DS bouncy.gif01/10, DS  thumbsuck.gif Due 09/13
#2 of 6 Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)

Hi VeganPregnancy 

Welcome Back! I am bumping up your post. :)

#3 of 6 Old 09-04-2013, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You might want to consider what you'll need in the car to sit comfortably for that many hours too, like a tailbone cushion perhaps...?

There's a crazy long thread about homebirth supplies w/a consolidated list on page 12 if it'll help to refresh your memory about things you might want to have w/you... http://www.mothering.com/community/t/602248/not-so-basic-homebirth-supplies/220

Remember a large zip lock bag and a cooler to transport the placenta home if you plan to eat it, encapsulate it or plant it...

Blessings on your trip!!

VeganPregnancy likes this.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#4 of 6 Old 09-13-2013, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Minimal birth supplies I'd keep handy: disposable underpads, receiving blankets and bigger baby blanket, baby clothes, a few diapers, bag for the placenta, cord clamps and sterile scissors, snacks and drinks, large blanket for me, bathroom supplies to wash up, big pads, hand soap/sanitizer for anybody helping me.

VeganPregnancy likes this.
#5 of 6 Old 09-23-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks all for the info and advice!
I managed to make it there and back with no baby. Lots of contractions though! :)
Now I'm just doing the waiting dance. 

DS blahblah.gif 10/04, DD upsidedown.gif 05/08, DS bouncy.gif01/10, DS  thumbsuck.gif Due 09/13
#6 of 6 Old 09-23-2013, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So glad to hear you made it there & back safe & sound. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story! :love

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page